Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nuckandcup Avatar
nuckandcup Clark ~
California, USA   USA
In reply to # 850969 by Falkon Oh, it's very doable, and I was serious. They used a similiar setup on the 1961 to 1963 T-Bird convertibles. The lid raised and top worked w/ a series of 4 cylinders and dozens of relays and several screw motors. It's fun to just do some things for the fun of it.

Along with the A/C option!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SBT Avatar
SBT Scott BT
Shelbyville, Michigan, USA   USA
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Squatty"
In reply to # 850938 by 90632D Spitfire power window kit

Thank you Mr. Trapper !

Next .....

An ejection seat !

smoking smiley

69MkIII Avatar
69MkIII Darrell C
Richmond, USA   USA
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spitwad"
1968 Volvo Amazon (122) "Rollsie"
take the windows off

you can use a tiny wind screen too

adds to the top speed 10 mph

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
This is strictly my own opinion and IN NO WAY a criticism or mocking of anyone here. Power windows in a Spitfire or GT6 seems to me like just one more step towards making your car into the Miata that you might have been better off buying in the first place. thumbs up smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Miata

Attachments:
pool.jpg    41.5 KB
pool.jpg

sighting Avatar
sighting John George
Bay Area, CA, USA   USA
I don't have windows on mine. smiling smiley
I have them but could not figure out how the hell to put them back in so I left them out.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
John, they won't fit in with the seals in the door.

'S all for now
Vic

SexyBeast Avatar
SexyBeast Greg N
Charleston, South Carolins, USA   USA
If you want to power something, make a power bonnet.

tcasper Avatar
tcasper Travis C
South Bend, USA   USA
ptegler Avatar
ptegler Paul Tegler
Severn, MD, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "OBie"
1973 MG MGB GT "YB"
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Lil' Greenie"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Big Red"    & more
two problems... first ...no they will not fit in the doors.
You have to bolt on the straps to keep the upper ring in place.
It by itself is too thick to allow the door panel to fit back on.
The second and perhaps larger issue.... the motor does not have a place to pass through the door without bending it harshly enough to mess with the drive belt, if not crack/break the guide.

...yes.... have test fitted them before.

Anyone making fun of power windows in a Spit..... ever tried to roll doewn the pass window quickly from the drivers seat to talk to someone out he window? ...quite pain.

The biggest issue is the glass is too close to the inner door panel for many of the different assemblies.... including the newer cable driven types with s single mast up the center of the door. The motor cables are not long enough either to reach fore/aft out of the way of the glass panel when down.

The only thing that I've found that WILL fit (have tested a half dozen variations)....
If you put the GT6 glass in with the little quarter windows..... a Ford power window motor matches the original hand crank mechanism gearing. The motor will just fir right up against the bottom ot the quarter light and can be adapted to the back side of the original hand crank mechanism. (had a two sets welded up but... never got around to installing them in Big Red so just sold em' both (I know.... dumb A__)

There IS one after market system out there but with the cramped compartment they stick out a bit and interfere with knee room. They are quite literally a box with switch and motor that bolt to the door card and directly drive the original crank handle pin (via a variety of supplied adapters to match your pin)
At least with this set up, if the motor dies, you can pull the inner door panel, pop on a stock handle and still put the window up/down in an emergency

ptegler

hearditallbefore Avatar
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR

http://www.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1201696673/

Close relatives.

I can see the advantages. It's like a contortionists day out winding up the windows.

Swatting the yellow jackets away from the Triumph apple of truth…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-04 04:34 AM by hearditallbefore.

spitfire79 Avatar
spitfire79 Wes Brown
ne, bellevue, USA   USA
Lets see, after a while you just get tired of reaching over to roll up or down the passenger side window, I'm the kind of person who says, why not, so i did, and they work great.
power windows oh yea. i bought one of those kits which attach to the window crank which was easy. looking at the pics i had to make it fit, I've redesigned the door panel, but after doing it, i over designed it, I didn't have to build it out that far, so a new design door panel is in the works. the switches will be installed in my center console. Yes, your thinking it didn't need it, and your right, but when i'm finished with my build, you won't see me reaching over to roll the window up or down, and besides, it cool

wes

Attachments:
new 12-3-17 284.jpg    55 KB
new 12-3-17 284.jpg

new 12-3-17 283.jpg    59.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
new 12-3-17 285.jpg    61.5 KB
new 12-3-17 228.jpg    29.8 KB
ptegler Avatar
ptegler Paul Tegler
Severn, MD, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "OBie"
1973 MG MGB GT "YB"
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Lil' Greenie"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Big Red"    & more
...I've had a set of those (as well as two other styles) sitting on the shelf since the early 2000;s.
Best of luck on longevity. BTDT
Although a bit less attractive...there are 'boxes' that go right over the peg for the winder, the 'box' has the motor and switches built in.
The prime downfall there is a bit of blockage reaching into the parcel shelf on the drivers side

ptegler

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 851046 by Herald948 This is strictly my own opinion and IN NO WAY a criticism or mocking of anyone here. Power windows in a Spitfire or GT6 seems to me like just one more step towards making your car into the Miata that you might have been better off buying in the first place. thumbs up smiley

I agree Andrew,
The point of these cars in my opinion, is to make them as light, and simple as possible.
I have all the comfort features in the universe in my modern car, but for my sports car, nothing that is not necessary.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1501428 by claytoncnc
In reply to # 851046 by Herald948 This is strictly my own opinion and IN NO WAY a criticism or mocking of anyone here. Power windows in a Spitfire or GT6 seems to me like just one more step towards making your car into the Miata that you might have been better off buying in the first place. thumbs up smiley

I agree Andrew,
The point of these cars in my opinion, is to make them as light, and simple as possible.
I have all the comfort features in the universe in my modern car, but for my sports car, nothing that is not necessary.

Hi,
On a car that is known for electrical "issues" adding things like power window regulators seems like deliberately shooting yourself in the foot.
Good luck though,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster