Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SBT Avatar
SBT Scott BT
Shelbyville, Michigan, USA   USA
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Squatty"
In reply to # 850859 by wildwood but it's your car do what you like.

Thank you .

cokerart Avatar
cokerart Bob Coker
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Spit-6 Or Dr. Frankenstein"
Scott,

I understand the urge (passion?) for improving your car and making it unique, making it yours. As Paul mentioned, the GT6 door has a bit of room to install a motor within the door, forward of the window channel. It would require a bit of engineering to make it work, even in that confined space. The show that you saw customized a big American muscle car that could likely accommodate a Triumph engine within the confines of it's door.

Dan is right about the aftermarket kits that might work on a Spit; they are bulky motors that attach to the interior door panel, over the crank shaft. A selection of nylon "sockets" are included with the kit, one of which would interface between the crank and the motor. The switch would be mounted anywhere.

Having said that, THIS is a very interesting conversion kit that mounts the motor remotely, which could certainly be advantageous in the limited confines of the Spitfire door. Certainly there are other remote kits available, this was just the first one I found.

I've always thought that, with only a three foot reach to the other door, power windows were superfluous, but, again, I do understand the drive to customize.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The problem with the one you mention above is still that, asPaul says, the Spitfire glass goes to within a couple inches from the bottom of the door and there is not space between the glass and either the inner or outer skin for that actuator device to sit. ANyone contempalting doing this needs to first disassemble a door and look at the space that is not available in there. There may be some radical device that will fit in the very skinny space, but I have not seen one yet. Like I mentioned earlier, the only ones I have seen so far are the ugly ones that fit to the driver side of the door panel and connect to the existing crank shaft.
Dan

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Scott, I gave you a hard time about power windows just because it is hard to find the right crank mechanisms. Up here in Canada we have a store called Princess Auto, they have a surplus section that has all kinds of those cranks. Every time I've looked at them, (and dreamed) all the cranks were either all lefts or all rights. Those crank mechanisms would fit in the palm of your hand, so that kind of crank would fit in a GT6 door. The hard part would be to find a switch, maybe a dismantler? Let me know if you want me to check my local store, take pictures or measurements. Some member in Ontario could send them from there.

'S all for now
Vic

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Good thing no one mentioned Screen Doors on a Submarine.

nuckandcup Avatar
nuckandcup Clark ~
California, USA   USA
In reply to # 850923 by Falkon Good thing no one mentioned Screen Doors on a Submarine.

90632D Avatar
90632D Fox Trapper
Various, USA   USA
gtownchoppers Avatar
gtownchoppers Richard Dearinger
Greenfield, Indiana, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1991 Jaguar XJ-S "Logan's First Car"
I think power windows would be nice, in fact its one of the things on my endless list.

memotor Guillermo T
juarez, Mexico   MEX
Hi Scott......I used to own several GT6´s and one of them, a ´72 Mk III, was my favorite......cosmetically I put everything that I can think of in the car, specially inside the cabin....exotic Burl wood in the dash, powerful Alpine stereo, wood steering wheel, all leather, plush carpet.....and I always thought of power windows but never got to it........Spitfires and GT6´s are most of all about FUN......having fun in life......have fun with your GT6 and put those power windows on, and let us know how it goes........

208vkjet Avatar
208vkjet Walter Baroni
Skokie ILL, USA   USA
My car has a power window on the passenger side. Her name is Theresa.

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
What would really be neat, is a hydraulic lift for the bonnet. Like an older convertible top's cylinders and pump..

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
I'd like the Gull-wing door option on my Spitfire.

ptegler Avatar
ptegler Paul Tegler
Severn, MD, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "OBie"
1973 MG MGB GT "YB"
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Lil' Greenie"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Big Red"    & more
I have all the hydraulics from a convertible top I pulled from a junk yard.
It's a simple set up, although I've never mounted it all.

A fellow NASS member in Delaware did complete an install ona round tail, works great.
I think he's doing it on his latest square tail resto as well.
...and yes... at least on the square tail he took my advise and facilitated a failsafe to open the bonnet if the battery dies and can not drive the pump. :-)

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Oh, it's very doable, and I was serious. They used a similiar setup on the 1961 to 1963 T-Bird convertibles. The lid raised and top worked w/ a series of 4 cylinders and dozens of relays and several screw motors. It's fun to just do some things for the fun of it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster