Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Wes, thanks for posting this, and, thanks for posting it in a decent thread with some good background. I'll likely never do it, but if the feeling moves me, I really appreciate you taking the time to document and share. Hopefully you will report back how things work out in the long run.

One of the coolest things about these inexpensive, simple cars is that they are pretty easy to modify and make them into whatever the owner wants or likes; even it's just for the engineering challenge.

Heck, this would be one spectacularly boring forum if all we did was talk about where we can get an OEM windshield wiper.

LED taillights, New Dash Boards, Over-Rider Delete, Completely New Suspensions... bring 'em on boys, love the innovative ideas..... even if I don't use them.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
VitesseEFI Avatar
VitesseEFI Nick Jones
Yeovil, Somerset, UK   GBR
My son included power windows as part of his MkIV Spitfire build.

Mostly uses the original mechanism with motors from an early 90s Honda. Some fairly delicate metalwork was needed on the door shells as there really isn't much room.

They work. Pretty well. Best of all, the winder handle can't dig in your leg - because it's not there! He's only been running it 6 months so longevity is not proven yet.

Nick

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I've installed power windows from a kit for an older van.

They looked like the erector set ones pictured earlier:

As I recall, it installs rather quickly with the enclosed machine screws using a cordless drill and screwdriver.

Skill level of about 3 out of 5.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
If you want to take on this challenge, find the smallest motor assemblies that you can.
Asian cars are probably the best donor candidates.
Many newer cars use a cable drive from motor to the window track, which could make it easier to package inside the cramped Spit/GT6 door.

As for employing the window crank as a switch, I brush against the crank handles constantly when driving my car.
Seems to me that mounting donor switches high on the door, or centrally on the console or dash is more practical.

Wiring ought to be straightforward, but I'd suggest using the protective bellows from the donor car for wiring from door to doorframe.

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Having the switches centrally mounted is good imho . No need to reach across the car to wind down a window . If the switches are next to each other , then the two of them can be used ate the same time from the passengers or drivers seat .

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1501738 by Lizzard Having the switches centrally mounted is good imho . No need to reach across the car to wind down a window . If the switches are next to each other , then the two of them can be used ate the same time from the passengers or drivers seat .
Hi,
Central location of the switches is very convenient, but consideration of the exact location needs to be careful. The center console area is also the area where coffee and soft drinks are often set down. There is nothing like sugar to gum up a switch. So pick the switch location accordingly.
All the best,
Paul

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501807 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1501738 by Lizzard Having the switches centrally mounted is good imho . No need to reach across the car to wind down a window . If the switches are next to each other , then the two of them can be used ate the same time from the passengers or drivers seat .
Hi,
Central location of the switches is very convenient, but consideration of the exact location needs to be careful. The center console area is also the area where coffee and soft drinks are often set down. There is nothing like sugar to gum up a switch. So pick the switch location accordingly.
All the best,
Paul

Here was Lincoln's answer to cup holders in 1988. Holder pulls out of that armrest. Window and mirror switches directly underneath. And yes, they failed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 06:47 PM by Falkon.

Attachments:
AlsM7interior.jpg    52 KB
AlsM7interior.jpg

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
smoking smiley

In reply to # 851107 by Falkon Miata

"...and first one said to the secondary there,
"I hope you're having fun.." Sir McCartney

If you want a Spitfire, have a Spitfire. Anything else is just that.

klinkers, smileys with beer

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 850728 by carChips A spitfire doesn't even need windows. LOL

Do you ever drive your car in the rain?

That said, I wouldn't consider power windows to be a necessity in a Spitfire.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
And the first one said to the second one there,
"I hope you're having fun."

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
After having both my shoulders go to hell and rotator cuffs repaired, I still can't think of a reason to have power windows in a car so small you can easily reach across and roll up the opposite side. I have made custom power units for the doors on my 47 Autocar COE, used 90s Buick motors and was lucky that the gear on the motor matched up to the original regulator.
Sadly most any kit you buy will be a cobble job. Because there are so few Spits and GT-6s, there would be no sales volume to justify the engineering time.

Attachments:
IMG_3021.JPG    49.5 KB
IMG_3021.JPG

hearditallbefore Avatar
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 850821 by SBT Well , it's for a GT6 .

I anticipated the naysayers and such . Whatever .

Just wandered if someone had done it .

It could be scratch or a kit

We'll see how it goes ..

Yes, seen it done on a few cars here in the UK.

Worth it?

Yes, it’s a pair getting the winders round in the tight cabin. Electric windows take the contortion out.
You can get period correct electric window switches from a Triumph Stag to keep things looking stock.

Swatting the yellow jackets away from the Triumph apple of truth…

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster