Spitfire & GT6 Forum

My first Spit

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

M, CT, USA   USA
My boyfriend got a 1970 Spitfire early this year and I loved it so much I decided to look for one myself. Recently, I found one in Vermont that seemed to be a good deal so we drove up and bought the car! My boyfriend always thought it was unique that his car's build date shared his birth month of June; well wouldn't you know my new Spitfire was built in October, my birth month as well. However, my car is very different than my boyfriend's as it doesn't have the RAF badge, but instead has Triumph written across the hood with a Spitfire badge off to the side. After researching this, it appears that some late Mark III's were built in '70 and sold as a '71 with minor differences (including clear glass tail lights and different trunk lid badges.) Does anyone know any further information about this?

Vin# FDU79255L
Body# 77230FG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dave-skip-fire-four-iv- Avatar
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
wish i could help im also new to these cars some one will give you the info ita s great site .welcome to the forum ......dave

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Welcome Amanda, and that badge was only used in '70.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Welcome aboard, you two certainly have good taste in Spitfire model years! winking smiley

According to the commission number, your car is a 1970 Mk3, left hand drive, North American market.

Since it was built as a North American model, it should have no TRIUMPH letters on the bonnet and no "Spitfire" badge on the bonnet. It should have the RAF roundel only. The Spitfire badge appeared only on the two rear fenders.

If it had been built as a non-North American model, perhaps for somewhere in the european market that was also a left hand drive market, the bonnet would have no TRIUMPH letters, no RAF roundel, and only "Spitfire" on the bonnet.

In fact, no 1970 would ever have had "Spitfire" and TRIUMPH together on the bonnet.

Best guess though, is someone replaced the correct bonnet with the bonnet from a 68 or 69 and was fond of the Spitfire badge and added it to the bonnet as well.

Is your screen name "1971" because you think your car is a 1971? It is not a 1971 model, although it may have been titled in 1971.

Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 09:55 AM by grubscrew.

OldBlue Avatar
OldBlue Doug Johns
Elyria, Ohio, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB "Colonel Mustard"
Welcome! We need more pics!

Doug

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
These cars were often put together from different model years as they needed repairs. Mine is a 1970 MkIII (mostly) and has the RAF badge on the hood, no other lettering or badges. 1970 North American models (maybe 69 also, depending on what you read) also had the single rectangular marker lights in the front just below the bumper (as did later years) as well as the rectangular marker lights front and back on the fender sides.

Other telltale signs:

* Late 1970 saw the first of the squaretails roll off the assembly line to be sold as 1971s in North America. A 1970 model year car will still have the round rear end (MkIII).

* The windshield frame is removable on a MkIII but a permanent part of the body on a MkIV. If there is no rubber gasket running under your windshield from door to door then you have a 1971+.

I've read that Triumph often tried to use up their remaining stock of the previous year's badges when they started working on the next model year. This can lead to confusing badgeing and makes it hard to tell what "stock" should really be.

M, CT, USA   USA
Here are some pictures, the trunk is aftermarket (it is fiberglass and doesn't fit properly). However, the side badges are not there, nor are there any bondo marks on the inside of the trunk where the badge would have been. The same goes for the hood where the RAF badge could have been.

Also, here is a '71 Mk III for sale: 1971

Attachments:
DSC_0013.JPG    22.3 KB
DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG    21.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_0017.JPG    17.4 KB
dave-skip-fire-four-iv- Avatar
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
nice looking car i like the bumpers on those model years .....dave

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
It is obvious that someone has played around with the body panels and badging but then maybe no big deal. If you want it to properly reflect the "norm" for 1970 Mk3 cars, it won't take much. On the other hand, other than makeing the boot lid fit, leave it alone and have fun with it.
Oh yeah, welcome to the illness.

On the other 71 in the reference, thats what happens with a Euro spec car. Those cars had a whole different line of updating from the US cars. Note the center dash as well as the badging and seat differences to name a couple obvious ones.
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-28 01:31 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
Sure looks like a 1970 to me. I wonder if the holes under that hood badge line up with the RAF badge. Or maybe it's actually a 67-69. The "TRIUMPH" lettering may well have been added by some PO.

I'm with Dan. Don't worry about it and enjoy your roundtail smiling smiley

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Again, you have a North American 1970 Mk3. The commission number makes that clear.
The windshield surround is the correct black. The rear license plate and reverse light plith is correct.
It appears you might even have the rare original tail light/stop light lenses, but it's hard to tell from the photo.

But someone has replaced the boot lid, as you noted.
Someone has also replaced the bonnet with an earlier bonnet that has TRIUMPH letters, plus added "Spitfire" to it.
Someone has modified the rear lights, putting clear lenses where there should be red reflectors, and putting the red reflectors outboard where there should be amber turn signals.

Nothing unusual about this kind of evolution though, as these cars were often damaged front and rear and put back together with a variety of parts, since so many things were interchangeable among the model years.

Post some more photos, especially of the interior and dashboard!

PS - very cool that you have the hardtop!

Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The light setup on the rear matches that of both my 69 MK3's so it looks like a PO must have had a Mk3 to use as a parts car at one time. That may be where the bonnet letters came from as well. All the lights are correct for 69. The lic plate light plinth though is not a 69 style.
I can't see the lettering on that badge on the bonnet so I assume it is a bonnet badge from the later car. (If the letters SPITFIRE are staight up, it is a bonnet badge, of they lean to the side is is a fender badge. I think those used on the boot were also straight up but not, not seen one.
Dan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 08:16 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

1970MKIII Avatar
1970MKIII Mathieu Poirier
North Windham, CT, USA   USA
Okay now it's time for the boyfriend to chime in. I wonder if this could've been a case of a mistitle? The car was bought from the nephew of the original owner and when we saw the listing we thought he had the date totally wrong because we both knew (or thought we knew) damn-right-well that the last mark III's were produced in 1970. The price was right however so we hooked up the trailer to the F-350, loaded it with lots of gas and took off for the four hour drive up to VT. Upon arriving at the house we looked at the door card and found that it was "made" in October 1970. This was a very strange coincidence seeing that my 1970 was built in my birth month of June and this car was built in hers as well so we (or she) decided to buy it. When we got back, we parked the two of our cars together and began comparing similarities/differences. Her hood appears to have a more pronounced "point" at the front than my car and there is no evidence whatsoever that there were ever any badges on the rear quarter panels of the car. Now, as a professional detailer and someone who knows a thing or two about body work, if there ever were any badges someone must've been very meticulous about covering it up. This leads me to believe that either her car was originally a 1970 just like mine and someone styled it to look like the European 1971 (as seen in the link, there are no badges on the rear quarters and there is a "Spitfire" badge on the left front of the hood just above the Triumph lettering) or it was somehow a European MKIII that was brought here. As we all know, British Leyland was not exactly the most careful company so it might've been pieced together from leftover parts right at the factory and shipped here. Whatever the case may be, I feel as though there is too much circumstantial evidence to say exactly what her car is, especially given the similarities to the European MKIII. It would've taken a lot of research to find a European 1971 MKIII and then manage to copy it. All I know is that we both love our cars and once hers is restored we'll be tearing up the back country roads here in CT together.

Attachments:
WP_000577[1].jpg    57.6 KB
WP_000577[1].jpg

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
HI Amanda,

It appears that someone has replaced the original roundel badge with that rectangular, which is placed right where the roundel should be (see attached picture). And the rear back up light is the 1970 only unit. My '70 doesn't presently have side marker lights on the rear fenders, but I can see where they were bondo'd over from the inside.

From my copy of Standard Triumph Mk3 spare parts catalogue, the 1970 Mk3 model began with commission number FDU75001, so your FDU79255L is definitely a 1970. My Dec 1969 built 1970 Mk3's commission number is FDU79732L, just 477 cars after yours.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 01:24 PM by Mark Jones.

Attachments:
PICT3520.JPG    47.5 KB
PICT3520.JPG

PICT3526.JPG    45.6 KB
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
That's a cool picture, Matt!

You can easily correct the external appearance of Amanda's to make it look like the North American 1970 Mk3 that it is.
If you need the RAF badge, PM me. I have some (but they are pricey).

Also looks like hers has two passenger-side bumper guards on the front!

Post some pictures of the dashboard and interior.

Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 11:21 AM by grubscrew.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster