AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Warner Robins, GA, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Macau/ Kastner Tribute"
Thanks, built it as a father son project to make it a tribute to Kas Kastner and the original Macau. Shawn Frank has followed our build in the Spitfire & GT6 magazine for the past four issues. latest one should be out soon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
8-10-15 005.JPG    46.5 KB
8-10-15 005.JPG

D15 David Cunningham
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa   ZAF
Good day Skye

Is there a way to track the owners of a Spitfire life cycle.

thanks

alstonjo Jo Ann A
Far Hills, New Jersey, USA   USA
Hello I am the original owner of a 1979 Triumph Spitfire. Wish I had older pics of me in it!!! Will look and get back to you all.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MCJ1 Mike J
Chester, Cheshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while.

I have owned my 1979 Spitfire since 1985/24k miles so no way near an original owner. I'm just in the process of getting my car back on the road after a 16 year rest and enjoying reading the threads on here.

One thing that puzzles me about my car is the width of the spare wheel. As a later model 1500 it has 5J wide rims but the spare is a 4.5J. The spare is unused with the original tyre (it is being replaced with a Minilite replica and new tyre). This leads me to think it came with the car from new or possibly supplied by mistake to replace a damaged wheel and flung in the boot without being noticed. Were BL slipping in 4.5J spare wheels as crafty means of getting rid of their old stock or even a poor attempt at a space saver?

So my question to original owners of late model 1500's that are still equipped with the standard steel Dunlop wheels, does your pride and joy have five 5J rims or four 5J and one 4.5J? My life won't be complete until I know the truth!

Thanks,
Mike

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
I'm not an original owner either, but I got my Spitfire with an original spare still in the boot. I never paid any attention to the wheel size, and I probably won't get a chance to until spring.

alstonjo Jo Ann A
Hi Skye! Well it is me ! However, I am going to have to dig around and find original photos of my beautiful 1979 Triumph Spitfire. I have the original bill of sale books and all records! It was in storage a long time but now I enjoy driving it in the nice weather. Love my car. Always have and thank God I have a good mechanic!

Why did I originally buy it? It was cute and fun! At the time one whole weeks pay check went to it. Gosh I think I paid 6,000 for it.

Originally I vacilated between the MG or the Triumph but the Triumph won the looks competition!

Attachments:
Spitfire7.jpg    20.4 KB
Spitfire7.jpg

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1355970 by alstonjo Hi Skye! Well it is me ! However, I am going to have to dig around and find original photos of my beautiful 1979 Triumph Spitfire. I have the original bill of sale books and all records! It was in storage a long time but now I enjoy driving it in the nice weather. Love my car. Always have and thank God I have a good mechanic!

Why did I originally buy it? It was cute and fun! At the time one whole weeks pay check went to it. Gosh I think I paid 6,000 for it.

Originally I vacilated between the MG or the Triumph but the Triumph won the looks competition!

Is this color the Brooklands green? Interior? 4/5...
Thanks.smileys with beer
Ed.

alstonjo Jo Ann A
Yes it is Brooklands Green and has camel houndstooth interior. All original never repainted or reupolstered. About 49,000 miles.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Nice, JoAnn.
I have a Brooklands 79 as well. It had the camel interior originally but somewhere along the life someone replaced the center sections of the seats with black vinyl in place of the houndstooth cloth. Curiously, I just went through and did a re-clean on the boot last fall but did not note what the wheel size it, even though I remember seeing the stamp on the wheel. As the tire is the same as what is on the ground I am guessing though that it is a 5 inch.
Dan

Attachments:
79 spit m.JPG    42.6 KB
79 spit m.JPG

docman Avatar
docman Bob Harris
Dearborn, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "SOLD"
1983 Ford Mustang "Daddy's"
2007 Saab 95 Wagon "SOLD"
2013 Ford Focus "SOLD"    & more
That Spit was $6K new?

In 1972 I was considering a brand new MG Midget that stickered for $2400. Nearly bought a used GT6+ that was so perfect, it still had the protective plastic on the door cards, but since this was to be my sole driver I wanted something a little more 'substantial'.
I thought I was pretty clever when I then bought the 67 E-type for $2400 (that needed A LOT and overheated like crazy). The week I owned it was spent detailing and pestering the PO on the car's idiosyncracies, but after my work, the car showed so much better she wound up buying it back for $2500 - probably resold it for $3500 (those were the days).
I then bought a 1 year old TR6, Laurel Green with factory hardtop and wire wheels for $2900. I drove that car everywhere, nearly 100K miles in 3 years, but I sold it rather than throwing a lot of money (that I didn't have as a student) into it .

My point, $6K seems a bit high, but maybe not in 1979. I know I bought my Mustang 5.0 convertible new in 1983 for $10K (A-plan).

After 40 years, I finally got a GT6 I so lusted after - I've still got a ways to go before it feels like new.

alstonjo Jo Ann A
Hi Doc

I am pretty sure that is what I paid for it! I have to check the records to quote you exact though

Jo Ann

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
That sounds about right. I was working at dealerships from 72 to 85 and car prices began going nuts at about the time of the 1974 gas crisis. Cars that had been selling for around $3-5,000 were suddenly selling for $7-10,000. And that seems like the good old days compared to today.

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1356024 by Yellowhawk Valley Nice, JoAnn.
I have a Brooklands 79 as well. It had the camel interior originally but somewhere along the life someone replaced the center sections of the seats with black vinyl in place of the houndstooth cloth. Curiously, I just went through and did a re-clean on the boot last fall but did not note what the wheel size it, even though I remember seeing the stamp on the wheel. As the tire is the same as what is on the ground I am guessing though that it is a 5 inch.
Dan

Thanks JoAnn & Dan.
The reason is simple, as we have a Brooklands Green '80... whatever details out can provide helps! Though I'm doing the chrome bumper-look, I'm riding the fence of OEM & bling here.
In '79/'80, I recall going to the local dealership, Triangle Motors outside of Quantico Va. Looking to buy a Spitfire. Several '79s were available, possibly a few '80s. O'Reilly wanted that Brooklands Green! ...
I soon thereafter found a '72 GT6 to sport around with.

Took me 30 some years.... but finally got one!thumbs up eachthumbs upthumbs up
smileys with beer
Ed.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I will soon have an opportunity to help an original owner get his car on the road again and will post pictures.

It's been stored for over 25 years by a non-mechanic so everything will no doubt be original right down to the original vapor traps on the vacuum lines.

supertech Avatar
supertech Michael Hawryluk
Prince George, BC,, Canada   CAN
That sounds too good.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Herald 12 50

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links