Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1367745 by supertech That sounds too good.

I know.

Sweet dreams. winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spit65 Avatar
Spit65 Anthony Wilson
Stoneham, Massachusetts, USA   USA
I love the thread. It is great to see cars that stay in the family. I am an owner of a one family Spitfire. My in-laws purchased the car new in March of 1965 For just over $2000 and did not let it sit long. They drove from their home in mid Maine to Boston in April. If you know anything about New England, that is not the warmest time for a convertible and this was before interstates went all the way. The car was a daily commuter but never used in winter so it survived other than the driver's floor pan. It made trips to Boston, Ohio and Maryland and only broke down once. The clutch line burst on the way back from Ohio. That was $2 in parts and $300 in rental car fees because they could not get the part on a weekend.

After its first 20 years & 100k miles, the car was getting old and it was parked in a barn waiting for me. I pulled it out last fall (at 50 yrs old) and have it back on the road. The car is solid and runs well after a little work. I am going through and replacing bushings, bearings, etc.. to get it driving like new. Paint work will have to wait a while but I will get there.

Below are photos from then and now. My wife and I are thrilled to have the Spitfire and keep it going for many more years to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-03 07:45 AM by Spit65.

Attachments:
Smiths-in-Triumph.JPG    30.2 KB
Smiths-in-Triumph.JPG

IMG_20160731_135741.jpg    70.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, California, USA   USA
In reply to # 1395831 by Spit65 I love the thread. It is great to see cars that stay in the family. I am an owner of a one family Spitfire. My in-laws purchased the car new in March of 1964 For just over $2000 and did not let it sit long. They drove from their home in mid Maine to Boston in April. If you know anything about New England, that is not the warmest time for a convertible and this was before interstates went all the way. The car was a daily commuter but never used in winter so it survived other than the driver's floor pan. It made trips to Boston, Ohio and Maryland and only broke down once. The clutch line burst on the way back from Ohio. That was $2 in parts and $300 in rental car fees because they could not get the part on a weekend.

After it's first 20 years & 100k miles, the car was getting old and it was parked in a barn waiting for me. I pulled it out last fall (at 50 yrs old) and have it back on the road. The car is solid and runs well after a little work. I am going through and replacing bushings, bearings, etc.. to get it driving like new. Paint work will have to wait a while but I will get there.

Below are photos from then and now. My wife and I are thrilled to have the Spitfire and keep it going for many more years to come.

That is so very cool. Great looking Spitfire you have there and I bet a lot of great stories to go along with it.

cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Great looking Spitty smiling smiley

If that is the original paint, you may want to consider not painting it at all, if you can get away with. Buff it out and leave it.
Also, I don't think you can claim 'survivor' status if you pain it, fwiw.

In reply to # 1395831 by Spit65 I love the thread. It is great to see cars that stay in the family. I am an owner of a one family Spitfire. My in-laws purchased the car new in March of 1964 For just over $2000 and did not let it sit long. They drove from their home in mid Maine to Boston in April. If you know anything about New England, that is not the warmest time for a convertible and this was before interstates went all the way. The car was a daily commuter but never used in winter so it survived other than the driver's floor pan. It made trips to Boston, Ohio and Maryland and only broke down once. The clutch line burst on the way back from Ohio. That was $2 in parts and $300 in rental car fees because they could not get the part on a weekend.

After it's first 20 years & 100k miles, the car was getting old and it was parked in a barn waiting for me. I pulled it out last fall (at 50 yrs old) and have it back on the road. The car is solid and runs well after a little work. I am going through and replacing bushings, bearings, etc.. to get it driving like new. Paint work will have to wait a while but I will get there.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Spit65 Avatar
Spit65 Anthony Wilson
Thanks! Good advice. I am debating a restoration or just a clean up the car. I don't think the paint can be saved. The camera and wet weather that day hide a lot. It already had 2 resprays that were done poorly. There is also damage on the passenger side and even through it does not show in this picture, the front of the hood was hit with years of gravel from Maine gravel roads. That said, the car is in great shape for being 52 and unrestored. For now, it is getting de-greased, repaired and not rebuilt.

Anthony

Spit65 Avatar
Spit65 Anthony Wilson
My favorite story is that the family use to drive around in the car. That includes two parents, three kids and a dog! I have no idea how they all fit.

alstonjo Jo Ann A
Far Hills, New Jersey, USA   USA
Hello Anthony

Emjoying your stories but somehow cant see the photos, wish I could .I too an an original owner but my car is 37 years old. My first car I bought! So now of course have to take it out for a spin! Will look forward to hearing more

Jo Ann

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
you all fit because nobody was a pansy back then. you blink wrong these day and someone will call DFS, ADA, EPA, NASA, pipefitters local 314, 328i and who knows who else.

I had my sister and her 3 under 7 years old children in my GT6 once. Two on her lap and the oldest folded up like a taco on the parcel shelf-he loved it.grinning smiley

In reply to # 1395923 by Spit65 My favorite story is that the family use to drive around in the car. That includes two parents, three kids and a dog! I have no idea how they all fit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

TriumphFan Avatar
TriumphFan Jim S
Cumming, Georgia, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 MkI "Cantankerous"
In reply to # 1395923 by Spit65 My favorite story is that the family use to drive around in the car. That includes two parents, three kids and a dog! I have no idea how they all fit.

That reminds me of my Dad taking all eight kids to church in his 1974 Jensen Healey in the mid seventies. Yeah, eight kids.... We also got all eight in his Fiat 850.
Great looking Spitfire.

"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster