AutoShrine Sponsor

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Did you buy your Triumph Spitfire or GT6 brand new and you still own it to this day? If so, please post the oldest photo of you & your car in this thread, and maybe write a little story about what prompted you to buy a Spitfire at the time!

* Also welcome in this thread are stories & photos from Spitfire & GT6 owners where another family member (parent, grandparent, etc) bought the car new and it has stayed in the family until present day

Looking forward to reading your story!

Skye Nott
Webmaster

Webmaster, The Triumph Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Not me, dang it, sold when I should not have. But, didn;t kwow where else to ask this; perhaps getting some comments from those that actually purchased one of these cars new at any time would be of interest. There may be a few of us that bought new, sold, then had to start over again.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Maybe we'll make this the Not Me thread.
I bought my 1970 spitfire in 1971 when it was about 6 months old, and I've had it 41 years, but alas, I am not the Original Owner!
Here's the oldest photo I have, 1972.
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Every car in that photo is a collectible.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ragzz Avatar
ragzz Roy Guzzo
Dugald, manitoba, Canada   CAN
Dave ( grubscrew ) that you would be as close as it gets ,41 years as a second owner and it was 6 months old when you got it . If the car could talk I could imaging the stories it would tell ( or not want to tell ) LOL.

rphoward Avatar
rphoward Ridge Howard
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
Well... not me, either. But a good family heritage, at least.

My dad bought the GT6 in 72 after the first owner had it for only a month or so. My dad kept it since, and passed it on to me last spring.

Ridge

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
If it still had the "new car smell" I say that counts winking smiley
I wonder what BMC/BL cars smelled like new... oil and leather?

Member Services:
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Girling brake fluid.
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Triumph Jerry jerome judge
jupiter, Floida, USA   USA
Hi Guys:

I bought my 72 GT6 new off the showroom floor. I was working in Knoxville, TN at the time and the dealer was Clayton Motors. They had a lot of GT6's, maybe 10 others on the floor. I think the car was around $3,700 back then. You could get a full size Ford for around $2,800. Biggest problem was getting insurance, they said the GT6 was classified as high performance and I was 25 at the time and I guess the insurance company did not like that combination. Finally got the insurance and was I happy.

Only time the car let me down was when I ran out of gas, right in front of my house. Never had a problem with Lucas electrics because my car used Delco. I have about 150,000 miles on the car, it was my daily driver. I got 100,000 out of my first clutch. Many good memories. lots of girl friends before I got married. Top speed I ever got to was around 100, the car was about topped out, but the price of a ticket at that speed brought me back to my senses.

My only trip back to the dealership was for the 500 mile check-up. I never went back. These cars require attention from new so I learned as I went along. At this point I can pretty much say that everything I have in my garage, parts, tools, etc, all support the GT6. I never named it but I refer to it as, the little car.

Sell it, no I would never do that, its a member of the family.

Jerry Judge
Jupiter, Florida

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
1964 Vespa VNB 125
Great story Jerry! Would love to see some photos if you have any scanned - you can attach them to your Forum posts, or add your GT6 to the Registry here:

http://www.triumphexperience.com/registry/entry.php

100 mph is plenty exciting in these cars, I love the direct experience of speed they give.

Skye

Member Services:
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
It is nice to see there is actually someone out there that had the foresight/need/courage/intelligence. or whatever it is, to buy and hold onto one of these cars for life. I sold my original car because of what we perceived as a "need" to make room for our new family. But a few years later I bought a new one. That one was well used and abused but I still have that one and more. I just wish I had got by that first hump, I know it would still be with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-27 10:39 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Cool story, Jerry.
Yes, vintage photos please!
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

GT6Steve Avatar
GT6Steve Steve Smith
North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Hmmm, I bought my 71 MKIV in 1973 so I don't really qualify. It's now a Spitsix...

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens

http://s206.photobucket.com/user/GT6Steve/library/GT6%20views?sort=3&page=1

naerp Avatar
naerp Nick Pereira
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
My GT6 Mk3 was purchased new by my grandfather for my mother when she turned 21 (I still have the purchase receipt). I have attached a picture of my parents with the car in 1974. It wasn't driven much after I was born although I do remember driving in it with my dad when I was younger. It was parked in the garage for 15-20 years before I moved it to my own house about 4 years ago and started working on it. Right now it has about 35,000 original miles on it and runs great. I just finished stripping the car in preparation for body work and paint and look forward to working on it and driving it with my own son.

Attachments:
1974_Parents_Wedding_2.jpg    26.2 KB
1974_Parents_Wedding_2.jpg

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
This is slightly off topic but an interesting story nonetheless. I have no idea where I lie in the chain of owners, but I know of at least 3 before me. Anyway, my bro and I (also a GT6 owner) were out scouting for old american metal around the town I was living back when I bought the GT6 (57' chevy's, buicks, you name it) and came across a fellow with a few old cars to buy. I forget what they were, and they were too expensive anyway. But standing there talking to him I noticed a 4 spoke cragar rim leaning up against his garage. I inquired about it as my car has 13" 4 spokes and I need a 5th for a matching spare. Told him what it was on, and come to find out he was once an owner of my car! Unfortunately he wouldn't part with it as he needed it for another set too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster