Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the placement is not always consistent. Seems to me that I have seen some later cars manufactured for different markets that still have the comm plate on the left side of the engine cowl. I think that therefore the door post placement was more for North American market. That would certainly explain why the rivet holes are still there after the plates were moved to the door post.

Thomason's book seems to confirm this assumption since all their photos (taken in the UK) show the plates on the cowl.

Joe

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Joe, that sounds possible. It seems that about that time, the early 70's the US required a standard placement which may have been the B post.My old 70's Ford pickups all had them there instead of the cowl like some earlier ones. All dthree of the 69 cars I have had, or have now,had the plate on the cowl.
If I could just round up a couple of bucks and get one of the 69s put together I's be ordering a CC from you.

Dan W Avatar
Dan W Dan Wark
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
1978 Triumph 1500 "Little One"
That plate looks like the Commission plate for a Triumph GT6, I think the Commission plate for a 1978 Spitfire looks different.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster