AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fredericknakos Avatar
Fredericknakos Frederick Nakos
St-Ours, Quebec, Canada   CAN
Hi there Peoploids.

I just bought a blank commission plate for my 1978 Spit. I do have the rivets on the body (under the bonnet) but the plate is missing. Or is it?
Can anybody tell me if the commission number is the same as the VIN number?
I still have the riveted VIN number.
Also can anybody post a picture of a 1978 plate? I need to aproximate the style of the font.
If anybody can tell me the build date of a Spit close to: FM 72460 U I would be gratefull.
Thanks to everyone.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fredericknakos Avatar
This forum is magnificent.
I did a search and found what I was looking for.
Picture and style of font.
All that I am missing is the aproximate date of manufacture.
If someone could help it would make my day.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
On that model, the commission plate is on the left hand door post. It is the large black plate. The small body color plate that ends in FM is the body serial number. The commission plate will have the same number as the aluminum plate riveted to the driver side of the windshield frame.

The commission number will start with FM and have a suffix that is alphabetical and contains one to three characters, the first of which is U.

Joe

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
The first 1978 model FM70001U was manufactured in October,1977. The first Car built in 1978 was FM73883U. So your car was somewhere between October and December 77.

Joe

Fredericknakos Avatar
Thank you.

As the small plate is covered in paint I always deduced that it was the same number on the windshield post.

You gave me the incentive to go look at it with a flashlight. You are right not the same numbers.

I am missing the big plate, a new one is coming in, I'll be able to stamp out all I know, trim etc....except build date.
I now know that it is only the month and the year.

Who can give me the build date on their Spit close to number FM 72460 U ?

Fredericknakos Avatar
GEEEEEEE....thanks a million !

They built a huge number!
I'll go with Dec.77
Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 06:08 PM by Fredericknakos.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is what your door post plate should look like, onlymaybe cleaner if it is new, and without marks.
Dan

Attachments:
78Spit 3.JPG    48.3 KB
78Spit 3.JPG

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Dont mean to hijack this thread but at the ABFM last weekend we had a guy asking about an emission plate? that he said should be fitted where the 2 rivets are at the top of this pic.He looked at all the spits and the GT 6's but didnt find one that had one on.I have never seen one,just wondering if we are missing them.There is not 1 on Sherry's car either.
Regards Andy&Sherry

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Attachments:
001.JPG    36 KB
001.JPG

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
I beleive when they moved the plates to the door b-post they just filled the holes with rivets to fill the holes. The emission tag is just below the comm plate on my 79, the 75 and the 78 (as pictured above).That space above the body tag is empty on all three, with the holes filled with the standard rivets.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
In reply to # 841112 by Yellowhawk Valley I beleive when they moved the plates to the door b-post they just filled the holes with rivets to fill the holes. The emission tag is just below the comm plate on my 79, the 75 and the 78 (as pictured above).That space above the body tag is empty on all three, with the holes filled with the standard rivets.

Dan, I almost fell into the same trap you did before noticing that he said "Emissions" plate rather than "Commission" Plate.

Joe

Fredericknakos Avatar
I love this forum......

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Joe, not following your thinking in regards the "trap". Unless he is talking about a different emissions tag, it is, as shown in my picture, right under the Commission plate. I thought/think I knew/knwo what I was thinking about, but now maybe I might be confused?
My intent was to suggest that the fellow at the car show was mistaken, that the emissions plates were not supposed to be in the blank area where the rivets are, but were always installed under the Commission plate on the b-pillar when the Commission plates were moved there. And, that that having the blank space is proper. At least for 75 thru 79 cars.
(btw, I do still intend to buy those stickers)

Fredericknakos Avatar
Hummm.... does anyone know if catalysts were required for pure fresh air Canada back in 78?

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
In reply to # 841231 by Yellowhawk Valley Joe, not following your thinking in regards the "trap". Unless he is talking about a different emissions tag, it is, as shown in my picture, right under the Commission plate. I thought/think I knew/knwo what I was thinking about, but now maybe I might be confused?
My intent was to suggest that the fellow at the car show was mistaken, that the emissions plates were not supposed to be in the blank area where the rivets are, but were always installed under the Commission plate on the b-pillar when the Commission plates were moved there. And, that that having the blank space is proper. At least for 75 thru 79 cars.
(btw, I do still intend to buy those stickers)

Oh, I guess it is me that is confused. I thought your answer was strictly about the commission plate rather than both plates. Sorry. I'll go about my business now. I have a camber compensator to ship! smiling smiley

JOe

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
I think Comm plates moved to the B post in 1969 - I know that's where it is on my '70 Mk3; and yes the two rivets still occupy the holes in the old location with blank space in between and the body tag beneath.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster