Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

alternator conversion?

Posted by Dan Spitfire 
mkivmarty Avatar
Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   usa

Hey JP. Nice video about the voltage regulator. The device is very necessary in a car with a generator, line NumbNuts may have in his MKIII. He was talking about changing the voltage stabalizer under the dash and fixing all of the electrical gremlins in his car. Thats where I called him to task.

Marty
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In reply to # 837887 by 69MkIII yeah if you want to dive the next owner
bananas use all the same color wire

There is a remedy for all one color wire. "Time Domain Spectrometer". They were a lifesaver for me when I had to troubleshoot wiring problems on B52's. All the aircraft wiring was white.

Joe.
Rocksocks Avatar
Larry Porter
Red Oak, Texas, USA   usa

Joe,

I used to repair and calibrate TDRs in th AF. They are a great piece of kit
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In reply to # 837898 by Rocksocks Joe,

I used to repair and calibrate TDRs in th AF. They are a great piece of kit

PMEL?
Rocksocks Avatar
Larry Porter

Yes sir, stationed at RAF Feltwell, F-111, A-10, SR-71

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 05:12PM by Rocksocks.
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In reply to # 837904 by Rocksocks Yes sir, stationed at RAF Feltwell, F-111, A-10, SR-71

I was at Lakenheath from 71 to 73 supporting the last squadron of F110 Super Saber's in Regular AF inventory until we got a squadron of F4's. I was my shop's PMEL monitor in charge of seeing that all equipment was calibrated on schedule.
Rocksocks Avatar
Larry Porter

I was there from 87-91. Also supported naval calibration and Spacecom in Scotland. I married an English girl and stayed after I got out in 91. Came back to Texas in 99.
triumphguy Avatar
dave roberts
loveland, colorado, USA   usa

Come on guys, keep on topic. grinning smiley

I'm thinking building a set up like this for my Delco conversion:

You never know when you might need to weld up that leaky exhaust...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 07:46PM by triumphguy.
Falkon Avatar
Al Martin
Wisconsin, USA   usa

Approaching Page #6

Seriously though, if an alternator fails isn't it usually where it goes berserk and puts out way too much voltage? I recall reading about this in a Mark VII forum. That could fry components. The excess voltage, not amperage. A low amp alternator would seem to be able to cause the same mischief as a high output alternator. Is this correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 08:03PM by Falkon.
triumphguy Avatar
dave roberts

The only time I've ever witnessed an altenator wreaking havoc was a Motorolla unit on my AMC Gremlin. Something went wrong with the regulator and spiked the voltage. Blew out my headlights and the car died. I don't remeber what else got cooked, but the lights got all super bright and blue-ish befor they popped. Back in 1988 a new alt and regulator was $200+ for that stupid car. Anyone wanna guess what brand I replaced it with? Anyone? smileys with beer
spitfire50 Avatar
Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   usa

In reply to # 837939 by Falkon Approaching Page #6

Seriously though, if an alternator fails isn't it usually where it goes berserk and puts out way too much voltage? I recall reading about this in a Mark VII forum. That could fry components. The excess voltage, not amperage. A low amp alternator would seem to be able to cause the same mischief as a high output alternator. Is this correct?

Al,
I wouldn't say it usually does that. I would say it can do that, but the voltage regulator on a generator equipped car can fail in a similar manner and send the voltage rather high also. The high voltage has the same effects either way.
All the best,
Paul
208vkjet Avatar
Walter Baroni
Skokie ILL, USA   usa

In reply to # 837939 by Falkon Approaching Page #6

I've been repairing/servicing cars since (yikes) 1971. Never did anything else. I was out of work once for
6 months do to motorcycle accident. So thats a lot of cars. I have seen a few, very few, regulators fail
causing excess voltage, say 16-17-18 volts. This causes the battery to boil out its acid and makes a terrible
mess. Sometimes the bulbs start to burn out, headlights, tailights, etc. The ones that are used the longest.
No, alternators usually die a quiet death. Most folks don't notice anything until the car won't start
or quits while their driving because the voltage gets so low that nothing works anymore. I've seen many times
the car comes in and the owner leaves the car running knowing it won't start again. Check the voltage
at the battery and I've seen as low as 6 volts (I'm talking modern 12V cars). Try and restart at that
point and no way. The only cars I've seen that had electrical fires there was stupidity involved.
Now that I think about it I had to replace the alternator on that damn bike too!
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In reply to # 837952 by triumphguy The only time I've ever witnessed an altenator wreaking havoc was a Motorolla unit on my AMC Gremlin. Something went wrong with the regulator and spiked the voltage. Blew out my headlights and the car died. I don't remeber what else got cooked, but the lights got all super bright and blue-ish befor they popped. Back in 1988 a new alt and regulator was $200+ for that stupid car. Anyone wanna guess what brand I replaced it with? Anyone? smileys with beer

Dude, it was a GREMLIN, didn't you watch the movie?

Phoebe Cates was hot)
triumphguy Avatar
dave roberts

But it was a V-8 powered Gremlin-X with Appliance Wheels (Cragar clones) and huge Grab-N-Go biased ply tires on the back! I bought it for $75.
69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spitwad"
1968 Volvo Amazon (122) "Rollsie"

you took the words right out of my mouth - on-board welding on demand ;-)
69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa

It seems to be true. Too low or too high voltage or amps is not a good combination. I always have mine set 'correctly'. To balance the system. Then the wires don't get hot. Its a theory of mine.

It has yet to be seen how long a pro tuned regulator will run. But yes, is ruins the regulator actually pretty fast - but then it can just be tuned again so don't throw them out like I did. $50 x ....

I even got the guts of the alternator here if anyone wants one its new because I never put it in. The problem was the car was a Leyland / British / wait for it / Lucas and all those were a bad combination. It put them out of business. If you can fix this you can drive a Triumph. Step 1. Tune the regulator better than that previous thread we had. 2. Use the right size wires on everything according to load.

We also discussed that a Triumph Gnat blasting a Stereo could be one of the most irritating things to possibly have on the road with a bunch of SUV's and you might get swatted.
These cars have a lot more class than gremlin. The car has a good line or it wouldn't be worth fixing. I would consider converting this car to have the inner workings of a Nissan Leaf all electric after what it has put me through though. 'Never buy gas again' Sounds good doesn't it?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 06:59AM by 69MkIII.
69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa

Delco - we had a delco in the Chevy's of course and probably in the ford and the rest of the cars but gawd aren't they attractive?
But if it works then as we say keep 'em on the road. I hate those one's sitting in the back yard in a state. Why don't we put a tiny amp gage on each different wire or circuit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 06:47AM by 69MkIII.
Patrick B Avatar
patrick bennett
Gainesville, GA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Gloria"

In reply to # 837985 by triumphguy But it was a V-8 powered Gremlin-X with Appliance Wheels (Cragar clones) and huge Grab-N-Go biased ply tires on the back! I bought it for $75.

AMC used Ford Motorcaft units on the V8s... had an external. Regulator .... Same for the AMC Jeeps equipped with the AMC 304s..... when I rewired my CJ7 the new upgrade harness replaced the wiring for the Motorcraft unit with you guessed it... AC Delco....
69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa

At this point I would recommend stock in AC Delco
rabbi Avatar
Bryan Robbins
Loxahatchee, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "The Flying Terd"

glad to see you looked up the family name in California Mr porter
and yup it only took 2 months on the assembly line to get my certification for head triumph mechanic at Blair motors in Baltimore

right next to the port where all the triumphs where coming in
and everyone of them went threw our shop, before they went out across the country to all the dealerships nation wide we where the main shop for triumph on the east coast of the USA when they came off the ships

.after 5 years with Blair motors i was smart enough to take the 6 top mechanics with me and opened up Robbins foreign auto repair in Delaware .

with 8 bays and a total of 15 people on my staff,we grew to a company of 58 employees and we all got a share of the profits the company was making,

and it was one hell of a work place, with more happy employees that could not do enough for the company, and did not mind at all working over time, because they all got a share of the company profits'' not just a crappy pay check like the big boys where dolling out in Baltimore.

i would also like to know when you crossed the border from mexico into Texas did you bring your Green card , because i cant seem to find any family info on you at all

see as the Robbins sight shows I'm 3rd generation ..

.see the roots of my family go way back as you can see, as they where first seem-tress then got into the auto business making tops and recovering seats, and complete detail on the inside of all the classic cars and so on, and so on, and still do today

so i would also like to know'' when you crossed the border from mexico to Texas
did you bring your Green Card or float up on a rubber raft..

because you are a complete unknown in this country,

and i wouldn't listen to a thing you have to add on this sight,
because you Question everything like a criminal who is probably the owner of a hot triumph

trying to modify it so no one can tell what it looked like before you and your punk friends jacked it out of some one,s drive way around 2am in the morning ..

otherwise I think your a total looser and most likely work at MacDonald,s at the drive threw window

so do me a favor pal kiss my american born and raised butt'' you moron ..piece of crap ..

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8