AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rabbi Avatar
Bryan Robbins
Loxahatchee, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "The Flying Terd"

just a little ditty..

i have more parts from scraped and burned triumph spitfire,s because of the mod your talking about then any other problem the car has ..

so just keep on misleading the forum
I could use some more death by fire spitfire,s in my parts collection .....

once the regulator goes in the Delco alternator, it sends a power surge into the main wiring harness, and you can bring out the marsh mellows, gram crackers, and Hershey bars and have your self a smoors picnic on the rest of the smoking frame ...

once the harness goes up'' most folks panic'' and don't cut the battery cable in time and the harness is full of grease and oil and it burns like fat lighter from a pine tree root..

as a bio medical electronics engineer for the medical repair business for over 20 years fixing High voltage Lasers and power supplies OHM,S law is out the window, and AC surge law takes its place...all 65 amps.. very hot..

so lets stop the bull hear this conversation is over as far as I'm concerned
and you kids can do as you like ...

just have fun with it..and learn by your mistakes, its what triumph ownership is all about.

now go for a ride and have big time fun, as the chicks want to jump in your car..
and don't forget to smile while driving that classic..

wildwood Avatar
rick howe
wayne, n.j., USA   usa

Hey bring back YellowBrookRoad he was much more fun ; your a large bore make like a tree and leave.

carChips Avatar
Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   can
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"

Is this thread title "Alternate Views"? Some will, some won't, so what?

'S all for now
Vic

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spitwad"
1968 Volvo Amazon (122) "Rollsie"

In the earlier post it almost works for The Triumph Blues
Key of G - A (A7) - D refrain B7 - F#
I don't know why they changed to
alternators
when they had a generator
give me the dim idle blues

My book say about the bulbs Spitfire4
Stanpart? whatever that is Cap
Headlamps RHD 50/40watts BPF
LHD 36/36 BFF whatever that is
Says the coil only needs 3.1 to 3.5 ohms to run

Maximum 12.5 v

Generator C40-1 Someone should start making these again obviously its a gold mine
6 ohms
22amps at 2050-2250rpm (connect to a load of 0.61 ohms)

Then the cut of regulator says 12.6 to 13.4
drop off voltage 9.3 to 11.2
contacts resistor 55-65 ohms
hmmmm makes you think don't it

Battery 12v
3.5 amps
recharge 5amps

its balanced

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-24 09:27 PM by 69MkIII.

Rocksocks Avatar
Larry Porter
Red Oak, Texas, USA   usa
1969 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) ~ For Sale ! ~

There is a very good article on alternators in the Triumph Experience site's library:
http://www.triumphexperience.com/article/understand-alternators.html

It explains how an alternator works in layman's terms. It is very good. I recommend reading it.

High-output alternators are being used for custom cars, hotrods, etc. They produce higher voltage at idle and make more power, especially for vehicles that draw more electricity to account for air conditioning, electric fans, audio, video, electrical lifts, lights, etc. These systems can draw more electricity than the stock alternators can handle, therefore needing to increase the output of the alternator to handle the extra loads and keep the battery charged. Some builders are even using dual alternator systems to handle the additional electrical loads. There are some interesting projects and articles on the web. I have even read that alternators used on buses, heavy equipment or emergency vehicles may produce 300A. Semi-trucks usually have alternators 140A outputs . More modern cars don't even use standard regulators, as the voltage is controlled by the ECU.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-24 01:51 PM by Rocksocks.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rabbi Avatar
Bryan Robbins
Loxahatchee, USA   usa

all the info is correct on the web,

they tell you all about the good stuff but, no one ever explains the bad stuff
or even talks about what happens when the internal regulator shorts out inside the unit..and melts the bridge rectifier and they become one circuit + and - meet up

it does not explain how the regulator can short from positive to negative
and cause the battery voltage to run down both side,s of the terminals and cause it to melt the leads and cause a fire, as it melts the harness

I guess the best way to explain it, is to look at the suit ford motor company had to pay out when there production cars for the T bird went up in smoke, and they had to buy owners of the 86 thunder bird new cars..

I'm not trying to be a monster on this forum, just some one who is trying to allow you to look at both side,s of the mod, or the plus and the negative reviews that can occur

so crank up the volume turn on all the light and drive that spitfire into the sun set with the top down for sure ...

rabbi Avatar
Bryan Robbins
Loxahatchee, USA   usa

LOL...

spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

I am sure that catastrophic events can and occasionally do happen, and I can visualize how a car can catch fire if the internals of an alternator shorted. But really, is this a common occurrence? I think not. If it was, auto companies would never have switched from generators to alternators in the first place.

If one subscribes to all such paranoid delusions, he would never leave the house much less drive a Spitfire.

Joe

grubscrew Avatar
grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   usa

Bingo. Joe is right on.
If this alternator is subject to such a catastrophic failure, how come every car and truck made by every manufacturer now uses an alternator?
If Mr. Robbins is correct, it seems like we best be making the reverse conversion back to generators for all the modern cars we own.
Ridiculous.
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-24 08:07 PM by grubscrew.

Rocksocks Avatar
Larry Porter
Red Oak, Texas, USA   usa
1969 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) ~ For Sale ! ~

There are two main reasons that I am going to use a modern high output alternator.

1. To increase the capacity to add on extra electrical items, such as electric cooling fans, stereo, modern headlight bulbs, etc.
2. The modern alternators are capable of putting out sufficient current at low rpms, such as when you are idling at a stoplight,
still using all of your other electrical items, without any problems.

The modern conveniences and safety aspects outweigh the need for originality on my car, in my opinion. I plan on driving my car a lot!

Dan Spitfire Avatar
Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY, USA   usa

A few posts since it was brought up and still no mention about rabbi "owning" Robinson tops? Hmm....

I am curious what his reasoning for saying that would be...

I have noticed a few sellers on eBay selling 43 amp Lucas alternators offering them as an upgrade to the original 38 amp. They are rebuilt and use the original case but has upgraded internals according to the lisiting anybody have any experience or a civilized opinion regarding these?

Dan Grzybek
1976 Spitfire "The Mistress"
Buffalo, NY

spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

Oh, I forgot to mention, I once groomed a horse and the implement I used was forever after called a Curry comb. And I once ate dinner in an Indian Restaurant and after that they named the stuff I ate, "Curry".
So now you know! smileys with beer

Joe

britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

I ate some indian food once and got the runs. Can I call it Curry's revenge.

I just checked and my can of whoop-ass is past it's use-by date.

wildwood Avatar
rick howe
wayne, n.j., USA   usa

HA HA HA thumbs up smiley

Falkkon Avatar
JP Robert
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   can

I use a curry brush on my dog, as he's short and wire haired. Thanks, Joe, now I'll see Tiny Tim whenever I brush my damned dog.

I do consider the food to be quite vengeful.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8