Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

alternator conversion?

Posted by Dan Spitfire 
Dan Spitfire Avatar
Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY, USA   usa

hey all
so i am in need of a new alternator and have been thinking about the conversion to the ac delco unit as described by paul tegler on his site.
paul tegler alternator conversion

anybody else done this? looks like it is very straight forward of a swap. only have to fab part of an upper bracket, doesnt seem real hard, and splice in a new wiring. any pics would be great...

very cheap in comparison with alternators for the triumph and much more readily avaliable. just wondering if any body has done it here following what was outlined and if there were any other concerns with going up to a 55 amp alternator.

thanks...

Dan Grzybek
1976 Spitfire "The Mistress"
Buffalo, NY
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
cokerart Avatar
Bob Coker
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   usa
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Spit-6 Or Dr. Frankenstein" ~ For Sale ! ~

This has been discussed numerous times on this forum. You might want to search the postings. I went with a Ford Fiesta (1980) Bosch alternator that almost literally "dropped in" and accepted the OE Triumph alternator plug.
Dan Spitfire Avatar
Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY, USA   usa

id be interetsed in hearing about that one ive never heard of that conversion... id be more inclined to do that one as my one hesetation has been cutting and splicing wires... figured they dont need to be cut and spliced any more spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Dan Grzybek
1976 Spitfire "The Mistress"
Buffalo, NY
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
carChips Avatar
Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   can
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"

I also have a bosch 75amp. I had to make a new upper adjusting bracket, that was it. I got a chrome bracket from the local auto parts store. It said " early Chevy or universal" on the package, and was about 2 feet long so I had to cut off 18 inches.

'S all for now
Vic
1968triumphgt6 Avatar
Louis Boudreault
Montreal, Canada   can
1968 Triumph GT6 "Charlize"

Hi Dan, I did the switch to the AC Delco unit last fall. I just followed Paul Tegler's procedure. Very easy. Had to get a couple of large nuts and bolts to secure the alternator, but that's about it. I used the same bracket that supported the old generator. Nice DIY project.
cokerart Avatar
Bob Coker
Atlanta, Georgia, USA   usa
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Spit-6 Or Dr. Frankenstein" ~ For Sale ! ~

I recall that I had to grind about 1/8" off of the cast iron bracket to allow clearance of the alternator. I used the adjusting bracket that came with the car. (Who knows if THAT's original???)
hymodyne Avatar
james king
salisbury, MD, USA   usa
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Baby Blue"

+1 on the chevy alternator swap. I went to my local auto parts store and bought the 1978 chevy camaro alt and nearly doubled my output, from 37 amps (lucas) to 63 with the GM alt. easy swap with a little modification of the mounting bracket.

James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 04:14AM by hymodyne.
69MkIII Avatar
Darrell C
Richmond, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Spitwad"
1968 Volvo Amazon (122) "Rollsie"

Its way too much amps and the coil will fry if you don't knock it down to about 3 amps at that point. why would you need that much electricity?
Well I can see we've all got a big charge out of this thread so I see all the pictures but I still like mine the way it is. Some people blow them out with an air hose and lube them. Tighten the screws. Paint it, even. As long as it makes it run. Sounds like AC D got the most votes for those with a conversion but you don't hear about too many people switching from a generator because you can always push start the car even if it has only 6 volts on the battery where as an alternator needs almost the full 12 or its happening. And the idea is to not make you walk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 06:24PM by 69MkIII.
rhodyspit75 Avatar
Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   usa

Darrell, the alternators job is to charge the battery. You can't knock down amps. The larger alternator will charge the battery quicker and keep it charged while you are drawing a lot of current. Like when you have all the lights, radio and heater blower on at the same time. An alternator upgrade will have no effect on the coil. The only recommendation I would make would be to increase the size of the wire from the alternator to the solenoid if you often run a lot of current suckers. BTW I have the delco and did not change the wire and have no problems. Ernie

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire
triumphguy Avatar
dave roberts
loveland, colorado, USA   usa

I did this swap to a 1500 I owned about 20 years ago. Easy and cheap! Tho sorta unrelated, I swapped in a 140 amp alt (from a Caprice) onto my brother's '72 Chevy truck. The original setup had the external regulator and an output of about 20 amps. He gave me a call when got home afterward. He was exstatic that his headlights didn't dim evertime he stopped at a traffic light. The Delco alt swap is the way to go!
Falkon Avatar
Al Martin
Wisconsin, USA   usa

I also did this years ago on my second Spitfire when I got tired of buying expensive alternators. Worked very well. Stuffed in the biggest battery I could and it started in winter w/ no problems.
wildwood Avatar
rick howe
wayne, n.j., USA   usa

I bought a GM Delco from Summit auto cost me $95.00 a number of years ago very easy swap and still kicking.grinning smiley

Attachments:
IMG_0148.JPG (60.3 KB) –
IMG_0148.JPG

spitfire50 Avatar
Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   usa

In reply to # 837031 by rhodyspit75 The only recommendation I would make would be to increase the size of the wire from the alternator to the solenoid if you often run a lot of current suckers. BTW I have the delco and did not change the wire and have no problems. Ernie

Hi,
I recommend increasing this wire anyway. You don't need a lot of "current suckers" to overload this wire, just a dead battery. When the alternator charges a dead battery it will send a lot of current through this wire.
All the best,
Paul
1968triumphgt6 Avatar
Louis Boudreault
Montreal, Canada   can

Please excuse my ignorance but how exactly does an alternator differ from a generator ?
Falkon Avatar
Al Martin
Wisconsin, USA   usa
1968triumphgt6 Avatar
Louis Boudreault
Montreal, Canada   can

Thanks Al ! Very informative smiling smiley
Fredericknakos Avatar
Frederick Nakos
St-Ours, Quebec, Canada   can

Yep....Delco. Super easy.

There was some play between the big bolt and the support of the alternator, at the bottom. I found that a
chromed 3/8 tube plumbing fixture was just the right diameter to slip inside that hollow support and the bolt slipped right in with no slack at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 10:08PM by Fredericknakos.

Attachments:
Spitfire, Moneyspit with new alternator. 001.jpg (51.7 KB) –
Spitfire, Moneyspit with new alternator. 001.jpg

sighting Avatar
John George
Bay Area, CA, USA   usa

I did a new Bosh unit from a Fiesta coupled with a Optima Red top battery.
One of the most solid conversions to the car to date.
Not sure about if it was the battery or the alternator but i have not had to jump the car once since I did it.
I have a auto temp fan switch that sometimes runs for 5 min after the cars is off and its still solid..
rabbi Avatar
Bryan Robbins
Loxahatchee, USA   usa
1968 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "The Flying Terd"

OK ...keep it original gang
this is not the big beef redneck mussel car conversion like the lets go fast in the 1/4 mile division

its called classic triumph motoring, and original and factory is the game..

otherwise ya might as well build a Toyota..

when you are judged at a car show''' ( if that's where your going,)
like the cave man drawing on the stone wall . that's what judges want to see...

the WAY IT WAS""AND FACTORY>>> so keep that in mind ..
Fredericknakos Avatar
Frederick Nakos
St-Ours, Quebec, Canada   can

I respect your opinion Rabbi.

If this car was in the 30 thou to 40 thou bracket....or if it was a rare exotic like a Delage DB8 or a type 55 Bugatti or even a 63 Vette,
I'd be hollering like you.

The gang here want to ride with the least amount of trouble possible. Who cares how electricity is generated. Who cares that Wisconsin air or California air is being used to fill up the tires. If it ain't original, it ain't proper? Come on now !
I have pictures of a Spit that was sold in Texas with less than 1500 miles on it, original to the last tee and in showroom condition...sold for $8 000.00

You want to be Pebble Beach material, go for it and guys with the correct left over spare parts on this forum will be happy to help you out.
Pray tell do you still have the smog controls on your car?

Although I do think that down the road, let's say in a hundred years or so, when our cars will have rreached a higher level of "monetary value" and will be fetching perhaps 15 to 18 thousand dollars, someone will be desperate for original parts.
So in the meantime, let us enjoy our cars anyway we seem fit, but, we must keep the original parts. They must go to the next owner.
I'm fitting Miata seats in mine for creature comfort. The originals are not for sale. On the other hand I will not purchase new foam and covers for them. The next owner will.

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8