Please Sign In or Register to Search

Gas grade and oil additives(?)

Posted by 2nd-LBC 
2nd-LBC Avatar
Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   usa
1976 Triumph TR6 "Wilson"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Roxie"

The 1980 1500 Spitfire cylinder head should have the hardened exhaust valve seats and should function fine with unleaded gas. After all, there's a sticker that says "unleaded fuel only". I suppose ethanol-free gas would be as much help to this motor as it is to any other of the time. BTW, here is a link to find those ethanol-free gas stations in your area.

I haven't had the chance to look at any diagram showing the tappets used on the 1500; I would assume they're flat as well. If so, then the zinc additive is a must.

Am I in the right track?

Thanks,

Robert

spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In my humble opinion, you should be able to use any pump gas with no problems to the engine itself. Fuel with ethanol added will only cause problems with rubber parts.

Joe

Karlhead Avatar
Karl Head
Ottawa, Canada   can

I think Joe has got it right.I have been using pump gas for over twenty five years without any additives, no problems so far.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Thomas (Steve) Dixon
Phoenix, OR, USA   usa

Same here, for 20 years with a GT6 engine.

I don't use oil additives either, but that's a matter of opinion. I know folks who do, and swear by them.

Steve D

90632D Avatar
Fox Trapper
Various, USA   usa

The flat tappet & zinc issue is a racing engine issue, not a generic street driven engine issue. Has to do with high lift, steep ramp angles and high rpms. Was observed by racing engine builders, eventually identified and corrected with zinc suplementation.

Many thousands of brand new engines are still built every month with flat tappets, and are running on modern oil.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   usa

OK, so ethanol-free gas for the rubber components. How about the zinc additive that has been taken out the motor oils due to the catalytic converters on modern cars? I own a TR6 and know about the NEED of the zinc additive due to its flat tappets design, not sure if the 1500 is the same. Sure, the posts never end as to which oil is better: Rotella, Castrol Classic Car motor oil, Mobil 1, etc which all contain zinc dialkyldithiophosphates. I just need to know if the 1500 shares the flat tappets design with the other Triumph engines of years before.
Thanks,
Robert

2nd-LBC Avatar
Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   usa

In reply to # 735288 by 90632D The flat tappet & zinc issue is a racing engine issue, not a generic street driven engine issue. Has to do with high lift, steep ramp angles and high rpms. Was observed by racing engine builders, eventually identified and corrected with zinc suplementation.

Many thousands of brand new engines are still built every month with flat tappets, and are running on modern oil.

Thanks Fox, I was interrupted so many times while answering the previous that I missed your answer before I could post mine.
I appreciate your response,
Robert

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   usa

In reply to # 735295 by 2nd-LBC I just need to know if the 1500 shares the flat tappets design with the other Triumph engines of years before.
Yes it does. Of course, the 1500 is the youngest brother of the "SC" engine family that began as an 803cc four-cylinder around 1953...and was also stretched to become a six-cylinder, culminating in the 2.5L TR6 version. These and the wet-liner engines are all flat-tappet type.

http://triumph-herald.us/

socal.colin Avatar
Colin C
San Diego, USA   usa
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Shitfire AKA Spitwad"

Though our car is technically a race car, we have run stock motors and stress the hell out of them. The motor has always come out fine. One motor we now have three 14 hour races on, and we have no idea how much it was run before and it still feels great. The first we ran it with the catalytic converter and when we pulled off the stock exhaust system it all looked fine as well.

We run the Vavoline VR1(has zinc) non synthetic and 91 octane pump gas. No additives.

We do sometimes substitute 1/2 a quart with non synthetic high mileage oil or a dash of ATF to swell the seals.

The VR1 oil is not really that expensive and I would run it in a street 1500 as well but that's just me.

Colin - Team Sex Pistons Captain
God Save R Spitfire...
Sex Pistons Racing Blog
Sex Pistons on FaceBook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-20 04:29 PM by socal.colin.

2nd-LBC Avatar
Robert I
Valrico, FL, USA   usa

Great advice guys, thank you. Hey Colin, keep up the fun with "Spitwad"! thumbs up

1980-triumph-spitfire Avatar
Ed Sundstrom
Savage, MN, USA   usa
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Martha"

I use 89 octane leaded gas in my '80
I use Valvoline 20W50 Racing oil because it has a higher zinc compound than regular oil.
But i would not advise the racing oil if you are still running with a cat converter.
I add a bottle of old style STP oil treatment when I change the oil. My dad swore by the stuff, and you gotta admit it's slippery. I wouldn't have started using it except Nigel at Spitbits reccomended it. I figuted he talks to more Spit owners than we ever will, and besides what can it hurt?

grubscrew Avatar
grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   usa

Where do you buy leaded gas, Ed?
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1980-triumph-spitfire Avatar
Ed Sundstrom
Savage, MN, USA   usa
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Martha"

OOps!!! Sorry.. Meant UNleaded..
But I must say you can buy leaded gas in Minneapolis.. My son buys it for his '64 Nova.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8