AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Getting there...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG00165 (2).jpg    47.9 KB
IMG00165 (2).jpg

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
There is a tool that can be used to offset the sheet metal so that the two mating pieces will overlap and form a completely smooth surface once a lottle filler is applied. That will make the patch completely hidden.

Joe

britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
Hi Joe,

I've got what the Brits call a Hand Joddler which I've used successfully in the past, but I'm thinking about butt-welding the piece in and grinding from both sides to make an invisible joint. It takes longer to fit the piece in, but the final product should be worth the effort.

Now lets hope my newbie welding skills will be up to the task.

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
That's the first time I think I've seen someone attempt that particular repair.
Good job, Mike.
Keep those pictures coming.
Dave
PS - on the welding, my instructor drilled into us to make sure we did a LOT of practice beads on scrap pieces first!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Hey, WAIT! Where did the A/C go? Looks great Mike, coming along nicely. I like your decision to fit the pieces. It's well worth the effort, very little filler needed.

'S all for now
Vic

britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
My wife's been complaining about the rust on the quarter panel of her van...sounds like practice to me!

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The van you can just use some cardboard and fiberglass, the spitfire is serious.

'S all for now
Vic

208vkjet Avatar
208vkjet Walter Baroni
Skokie ILL, USA   USA
Better get going, customer is picking this up at noon!

britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
Well, the customer IS getting a tad impatient. He wants to get on the road!

ragzz Avatar
ragzz Roy Guzzo
Dugald, MB, Canada   CAN
Ive been doing all my welds butt-welds it does take longer to get the panel to fit right but it is the best way, overlap welds can trap rust if not sealed right. If you do butt-welds practice on scraps first, what I do is to do small spot-welds spaced out to avoid overheating the panel and burn throughs ,take a brake grind them down,then do it again until all the spot-welds are joined. it takes time but you get a nicer finish when done if you have to hammer and dollie. good luck and practice

jford-GT6 Jonathan Ford
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Looks great. I have a bit of rust in that area too. I'm curious on where you found that patch panel.

Cheers

britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
A member of this board was parting out an older Spitfire and was willing to cut the panel off the car with a sawsall and ship it.

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
In reply to a post by jford-GT6 Looks great. I have a bit of rust in that area too. I'm curious on where you found that patch panel.

Jonathan - Here you go Part Number RL1475 $40.50 + shipping; I happened to see it earlier today, and this thread came to mind as I did.

GT6 Panel page with Master Cylinder Panel - Rimmer Bros.

PS - admittedly you might verify left or right hand drive; the folks at Rimmers do seem helpful. Good Luck!

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
Ive got a parts car that I can cut some firewall parts off if needed. or any other odd body part section

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

britsnspits Avatar
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
John,

I've already contacted Rimmer and other vendors about this part. They only carry the right-hand drive version of the part which is significantly different from the left-hand drive version. By all means, contact them! Maybe enough demand will cause BMI and Steelcraft to get off their collective butts and produce the panel for the largest market for Spitfire restorations out there.

In the meantime, you'll have to go my route and sacrifice another body to repair yours.

BTW, it isn't obvious in the picture, but there is a lot going on in this area. I needed to replace a lot of metal beyond the flat horizontal piece that the brake pedals mount on. The 45 degree angle piece was pretty badly rusted on my car also and there's something you just don't see until you start cutting. The steering column mounting bracket is welded to that 45 deg. angle piece just to the left of the round hole. It's welded with about 5 or 6 spot welds, plus a bead down either side. You'll have to do a lot of spot weld drilling and grinding to get the old metal off.

There's also a lot of brackets that you need to take off as carefully and possible because they can't be replaced either. I'll have to post more pictures when I get a chance so that the full extent of the metal removal can be seen.

I'm still not sure how the steering column piece is going to get welded back on.

One piece of advice, start with as much extra metal on the replacement part as you can get.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links