Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Marcos Rodriguez
New Jersey, USA   usa
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Darla ( From The Little Rascal"

Guys I am installing an Electric Fan for the radiator do you think this combination will work, so that the fan only comes on when the car is on or engine is engaged
I want to have a relay and a fuse in the mix

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 07:14 PM by Marc69MK3.

Attachments:
untitled electrical.JPG    10.9 KB
untitled electrical.JPG

Falkon Avatar
Al Martin
Wisconsin, USA   usa

You want direct "heavy duty" battery power to #87 and then on to the fan from #30. You want to trip the relay w/ ign power tp terminal #85 Fuse right at the battery for fan load.

Marcos Rodriguez
New Jersey, USA   usa

Like this you mean

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

Attachments:
Copy 1of untitled electrical.JPG    10.9 KB
Copy 1of untitled electrical.JPG

Saxist Avatar
Dave B
Valleyfield QC, Canada   can

Marcos with this setup the fan runs all the time the key is on. I would suggest a setup with a thermostat switch that turns the fan on only when its needed like at idle in traffic or maybe climbing a hill. Just another idea here is the diagram and you can purchase these switches on ebay or places like summit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 07:59 PM by Saxist.

Attachments:
efaninstall2.gif    4.1 KB
efaninstall2.gif

spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

Here's my take on such a project.

You can add a fuse between the positive fan contact and the output of the relay. Make sure it is large enough to handle the poewr draw of the fan.
The bypass switch lets you turn on the fan manually if the thermostat fails.

Joe

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 07:49 PM by spitlist.

Attachments:
Electric Fan wiring.JPG    4.5 KB
Electric Fan wiring.JPG

Marcos Rodriguez
New Jersey, USA   usa

One quick question is it bad to have the fan all the time on ?
Also if I do your setup or Joes then I would need something like a probe to alert the fan of the temp ? correct and I have no clue what to get and where aside from the internet sad smiley wnted to get thisover with tonight or tomorrow, dont ask me why the rush maybe 2012thumbs up smileydrinking smiley and want to get it done and at least drive it before the end of the world

If not I have to go with all the time ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 07:58 PM by Marc69MK3.

spitfire50 Avatar
Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   usa

Hi,
I also have a pilot light in parallel with the fan motor. That way I know that it is turned on whether thermostatically or manually.
Good luck,
Paul

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Saxist Avatar
Dave B

Most of those thermostat switches are adjustable so you can set the temp threshold to your liking. I have wired up some that continue to run even after the engine is off until the temp drops.

spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In reply to # 720240 by spitfire50 Hi,
I also have a pilot light in parallel with the fan motor. That way I know that it is turned on whether thermostatically or manually.
Good luck,
Paul

me too. One thing about those lights is when the fan is off but air going through the fan is spinning the blades, it makes the fan act like a generator making the light flicker a bit with the generation of electricity.

Joe

grubscrew Avatar
grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   usa

I assume you want to do this for what everybody seems to think is some fantastic horsepower gain?

If that's your reason, then you need to understand that the only time you see a horsepower gain that amounts to anything is when the fan isn't running, so yes, you want it to shut off (and come on) in response to temperature. So that's why you include a thermostat.

Otherwise, you'll be switching it on and off manually as you try to watch, and keep up with, the always-suspect temperature gauge on the dashboard.

Joe's set up that provides for both thermostatically controlled, and manual override, is the best.

Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

Saxist Avatar
Dave B

I don't think its bad to have the fan on all the time but they do draw allot of power and might even dim your lights. For just a little more money you can do it up real nice ... here is a link for a kit or just look at some of the others on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/185-DEGREE-FAN-THERMOSTAT-TEMPERATURE-SWITCH-RELAY-KIT-/400214167002?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2e9f8dda

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 08:08 PM by Saxist.

Saxist Avatar
Dave B

yup exactly grub not allot of gain ...the only reason I might do it is I hate the cost of clutch fan replacements....

Falkon Avatar
Al Martin
Wisconsin, USA   usa

Joe's setup is the BEST one. The idea of an override switch is a good idea. i don't think you'd want to wire it to run w/ the engine off in a Spitfire. Too much draw on a small electrical system. Then again our wiring isn't that great either. Safer off w/ the key off.

Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   usa

On my 80 the idle drops a little when the fan comes on haven't quite figured that one out. Does the fan draw so much power it effects the spark?

Bodge Garage Avatar
Kris Schmidt
Spokane WA, USA   usa

In reply to # 720252 by racer490 On my 80 the idle drops a little when the fan comes on haven't quite figured that one out. Does the fan draw so much power it effects the spark?

The power demand puts a load against the alternator. More load means more power needed, at idle your torque is low thus slowingthe RPM

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8