AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dan Spitfire Avatar
Dan Spitfire Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Mistress"
hi all
my speedo has never worked since ive owned the car and now that i have sorted out some other major things i am looking at what i need to do to fix it. I was trying to remove the cable off the back of the speedo and i cant figure out how it comes off. The book says to just remove the cable but doesn't explain how. I have been trying to avoid removing the dash panel so i have been reaching up under i thought it would unscrew or something but it does not seem to.

the car is a 76 without o/d and the cable is one piece from the tranny to the speedo, there is no egr counter or any thing.
I guessing its the cable because all the lights on the speedo work but the needle does not move at all and the odometer does not work either.

Dan Grzybek
1976 Spitfire "The Mistress"
Buffalo, NY

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Dan,

There's a tab on the head of the cable that locks it onto the speedo head. There should be a lever that you can push in toward the cable to release the tab.

If you go to the TRF website and download the Electrical PDF file, you can see the lever on the cable on page 183. http://gar.zeni.net/trf/spitfire1500/pdfs/9-Spitfire1500-Electric.pdf

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Like this.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
speedo.jpg    24.1 KB
speedo.jpg

mistloop Bob Tihansky
PA, USA   USA
Your problem seems to be the cable. However, it also may be the gear in the tranny attached to the cable (small plastic gear),but not likely. In reference to removing the cable from the speedo, it may be easier to remove the dash panel as you may knock some wires off or loose from trying to remove it from behind. Better safe than sorry. It's not difficult to just take out the screws and just pull the dash panel forward enough to pop off the cable.

Dan Spitfire Avatar
Dan Spitfire Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
ok when i reach up i cant feel any tab like that. the is a small thin slot in the metal where i think the tab may have been... looks like im gonna have to pull the dash apart to see exactly whats going on in there... thanks

Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
If that tab has broken off and they do then the cable won't seat and speedometer won't work. Sounds like you need a new cable

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
Dan, I hope it is the cable, and it probably is. My 80's speedo doesn't work either but its the gear in the transmission that is at fault for mine. My wife has learned to drive by the tach instead.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Just like NASCAR!

'S all for now
Vic

hunttriumph1500 Avatar
hunttriumph1500 Stephen Hunt
Colchester, Connecticut, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Oldest Spitfire Owned"
1968 Triumph GT6 MkI "First Triumph!"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Parts Car"
1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Junk Yard Dog"    & more
Yeah, most of the time and I do mean MOST the gauge is not at fault. It's usually the cable or like another person mentioned the gear in the transmission end. Oh, annd of course if you have the emissions "counter" those always seize up too.

Dan Spitfire Avatar
Dan Spitfire Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
im just looking in the parts catalogs and i am unclear on which cable i need they all list a couple different ones. There is no egr counter on my car

Dan Grzybek
Buffalo, NY

tymnmony Avatar
tymnmony Victor Fleishman
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Dan this may be the cable you need ,I looked it up on the Rimmers Cat. But why not phone them to confirm. I have spoke to them on before and they are helpful. Victor http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GSD410

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 08:40 PM by tymnmony.

Fredericknakos Avatar
Fredericknakos Frederick Nakos
St-Ours, Quebec, Canada   CAN
Hi there,

I also have a speedo bug since I installed an overdrive.
It just quit after 200 feet when I left the garage.

I bought the correct cable, installed it with that darn little plastic lever.....no place to work on the darn thing....chucked in an electric drill, reversed it and the speedo works....
I thought that I would have to open the tranny the check the nylon-plastic speedo drive.....nope....It is the angle speedo drive that is not transmitting the revolutions. The small gear inside does turn but the exit female hole is rounded off, the cable has a flatened spade that fits in it.
I received a new angle drive from England,through Ebay (I had ebay bucks so it cost me a whopping $10.00 !)and after trying it by putting a jeweler's screwdriver in the female portion and turning it by hand, it functions properly. The old one with the brass coupling, original, is a dodo.

You have to install a washer-adaptor spacer part number 3H 550 in the angle drive, without it there is an excessive end load and premature failure of the right angle pinion will result.

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Moorhead, Minnesota, USA   USA
is it common for a u.s. FM91xxU speedo to be in kelometers if not any guess why mine is

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
A US 79 should look like this is normal attire. If yours only has Km then someone has changed it based on it having the U in the Commission#.
Dan

Attachments:
79 dash4.jpg    51.1 KB
79 dash4.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1497766 by Erics79spit is it common for a u.s. FM91xxU speedo to be in kelometers if not any guess why mine is

I imagine your car, or at least the speedo came from Canada. We changed from miles to kilometres in the mid 70's.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster