TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Nice to hear about the appraisal. The paint must not have had a good base preparation in some way. Oh well, peel it off and do it over.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Earlier this week I noticed that the fuel pressure gauge on Huxley (the red Mk1) was not holding the pressure and only advanced to the required 50psi when the pulse relay triggered the fuel pump. I reckoned that the fuel regulator has given up the ghost so I disassembled it and found that the piece inside that has a sealing gasket was bent (apparently from tightening the nipple for the fuel line).

Rather than ordering another Mallory regulator that has gone up from $100 in 2005 to almost $160 now, I decided to seek other options. I found that Holley has one through CarParts.com for $53.96 with free shipping. I will have to rig up a place to screw in the meter but that will be much cheaper than having to buy a new Mallory regulator.

Cheers,
Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 05:47 PM by spitlist.

Attachments:
EFI REGULATOR.JPG    20.8 KB
EFI REGULATOR.JPG

cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
New fuel pump, fixed my oil pressure sending unit that broke, balanced all 4 wheels (one was 5oz off thanks discount tire...no more shaking at 60), new wheel bearing, new proper sized fuel hoses throughout.

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
With the bodywork done and etching primer roughed, I prepped the tub with a detergent wash, clean water rinse, and compressed air dry to prepare for high build primer application. I'll let it dry for a few days to ensure no more water, then wipe down the tub with wax and grease remover a few times before applying the primer.

Once I get the high build primer on, I'll be able to focus on the bonnet and doors. I'm getting excited to get this thing to color and back on the chassis!

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

Attachments:
IMG_3326.jpg    48.7 KB
IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg    45 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3328.jpg    47.4 KB
IMG_3329.jpg    46 KB
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Looking good Chris. Did you ever manage to sell the brown one?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Moorhead, Minnesota, USA   USA
i switched th fuel line inlet to the outside on the weber after learning new things on the forums. put in the new rad. yesterday mounted it to high and dented the bonnet live and learn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 07:46 PM by Erics79spit.

Attachments:
DSCF0316.JPG    65.6 KB
DSCF0316.JPG

DSCF0317.JPG    55.4 KB
Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Started putting one of my front hubs back together. Got a little ahead of myself before realizing the brake disc and shield need to be on before the hub is attached to the vertical link. Had to stop because the lock nut I have for the stub axle is too thick - have proper half height ones on the way. I guess before it didn't have any washers in place, so a full height nut fit. Most of my references show the two washers being used, so I want to keep them in place - seems like the only washer that really matters would be the one under the steering arm.

I bought the brake pads and discs in a kit from BPNW a while back and probably would have just gotten regular (unslotted/perforated) if I had been thinking ahead at the time.

I'm also taking the steering rack apart to clean it up. Found some great videos on youtube showing the whole process:

Sneaky Pete Avatar
Sneaky Pete Silver Member Pete Passon
Mooresville, Indiana, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Spitty"
Beautiful day in South Central Indiana driving the country-side

Pete FC58162L

Attachments:
IMG_0021.jpg    64.7 KB
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg    52.7 KB
alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
In reply to # 1501324 by Sneaky Pete Beautiful day in South Central Indiana driving the country-side

Nice job. Thanks for sharing the photos!

-Alan

Cheers, Alan

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501197 by byakk0 Looking good Chris. Did you ever manage to sell the brown one?

I did. Sold it to an enlisted Naval officer who was excited for the project. And my wife was even more excited that I am down to only one Spit in the garage. However, it (and the parts hoard that I have) currently occupies two of my three garage spaces confused smiley

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1501324 by Sneaky Pete Beautiful day in South Central Indiana driving the country-side

It is unseasonably warm here in central Wisconsin. Saturday my wife and I made the annual trek to get a Christmas tree, if the Spit hadn't been torn apart for an engine change we could have taken it. The tree bungied over the trunk would have made a great Christmas card photo!

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Me? I just found out that my new Spit arrived in Dallas. Woo Woo........ I've been searching high and low for a project vehicle - doing the auction sites - Craig's List - Auto Trader - E-Bay........ Lots of work....

My son - who is in the leasing industry - found one at auction at what seemed like a reasonable price for what was shown in the photos. ($3,500)... Though we all know how pictures don't tell the whole story....

She arrived this morning.... and son took her for a spin..... At least it runs.... and reasonably well from his description... (He handles thousands of vehicles a year)..... Though the interior will need new upholstery, carpeting, cosmetics.... and the rear quarter panel has a couple of minor dents.... No rear bumper on the car.... But - overall - sounds perfect for my daughter's Christmas "project car"...... Lots of work to be done - but driveable in the short term.... We're (son and I - as daughter won't know till Christmas)... excited!!! Daughter is only 14 - so we have lots of time to get this puppy into show condition.....

I'm lucky inasmuch as my son can have it cleaned up, detailed, and fully functional via his "make ready shop"....... and put a giant red bow on it before we drive down from St. Louis to pick it up....

Be prepared all...... While I'm an automotive freak - and have owned a spit iin the past - I'm sure I'll have lots of detailed questions during the restoration/upgrade.....

Z

Sneaky Pete Avatar
Sneaky Pete Silver Member Pete Passon
Mooresville, Indiana, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Spitty"
I was just up there for Thanksgiving in Menomonie by UW Stout and yes it was just jacket weather.

Pete FC58162L

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Nice looking rotors! They will work just fine. Quote: "I bought the brake pads and discs in a kit from BPNW a while back and probably would have just gotten regular (unslotted/perforated) if I had been thinking ahead at the time."

Don't let the naysayers make you think ill of your decision. There is a lot of good advice on the Forum and there is a lot of partiality of decisions also.

Good Luck,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1501212 by Azoth Started putting one of my front hubs back together. Got a little ahead of myself before realizing the brake disc and shield need to be on before the hub is attached to the vertical link. Had to stop because the lock nut I have for the stub axle is too thick - have proper half height ones on the way. I guess before it didn't have any washers in place, so a full height nut fit. Most of my references show the two washers being used, so I want to keep them in place - seems like the only washer that really matters would be the one under the steering arm.

I bought the brake pads and discs in a kit from BPNW a while back and probably would have just gotten regular (unslotted/perforated) if I had been thinking ahead at the time.

I'm also taking the steering rack apart to clean it up. Found some great videos on youtube showing the whole process:

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Very nice Pete, makes me remember my first Spitfire. New off the showroom floor, same color. It was a Mk2 also.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links