TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500464 by TheFlash300 That is why I carry a full 1 gallon gas can in the boot for peace of mind. My gauge has always read 1/4 tank low...which annoys the wife because I keep motoring on when the gauge is at E. I base fill ups on the trip odometer.

In reply to # 1500411 by cbez Had to have my bro do an emergency gas can delivery when I stalled out on the side of the road. Gauge still said 1/4 sad smiley

I took it home and bent the arm until it said empty, and when I filled it at the gas station it said full. Pray for me folks.

When my trip odometer quit working, (zeroing knob broke) I bought a small 3 digit combination padlock, locked it on the shifter, then set the combo numbers to the last 3 digits on the odometer. As long as I remember to reset it at each fill-up I don't need an incorrect gas gauge. 200 miles is maximum range!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Hmmm. That is about 2 and 1/4 tank fulls from Maryland to Myrtle Beach, SC. Good to know.

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
That was a GREAT Thanksgiving story, Greg!

It hearkened back to my usual answer when people would ask me how I'd learned so much about cars:

"Well, you see, no matter what breaks, I have to go in twice (or even thrice). Once to fix the problem, and then again (and again) to fix everything I busted while fixing the problem. This drastically accelerates your learning curve!"

drinking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1500491 by SpitMan Hmmm. That is about 2 and 1/4 tank fulls from Maryland to Myrtle Beach, SC. Good to know.

Try 70+mph for 3.5 hours. That would be me at the beach from Vegas.

(Doubt it can be done on a single tank.)

(Further doubt the ability to maintain 70+mph indefinitely without incident on a non-OD 1500.)

crater Michael Gorman
Simi Valley, California, USA   USA
Been very busy after a wedding, honeymoon and new job. Finally got around to getting to the smog i needed to finish getting registered. Passed with flying colors.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
I'm exhausted just reading that first sentence! smiling bouncing smiley

In reply to # 1500506 by crater Been very busy after a wedding, honeymoon and new job. Finally got around to getting to the smog i needed to finish getting registered. Passed with flying colors.

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
I went out to run a couple of errands last night in the 79 and when I got to my first stop, I realized that I had forgotten my mobile phone. There was a moment of panic (“what kind of idiot drives a 38 year old car in early winter darkness without a way to call for help in an emergency???”) before reason set in. C’mon Greg, you drive it 7000 miles a year and haven’t been stranded in years. You’ll be fine.

Famous. Last. Words.

So on my way to my second stop, I’m sitting at a traffic light waiting for a green arrow so I can turn left. When the light turns green, I go to step on the gas and the pedal isn’t there. What??? I search around with my foot side to side for a confused moment (I don’t know where I thought the gas pedal could have possibly gone) before realizing that the pedal is on the floor. Floored pedal + engine still at idle = broken throttle cable. So I let the clutch out very gently and serenely creep into a shopping center at a whopping 2 mph, pop the bonnet and verify, yup, the throttle cable has snapped.

Fortunately I carry an old iPhone as my music player and the fast food place where I was parked had WIFI. I couldn’t make a call but I could connect to the internet via the WIFI allowing me to text my wife who came to get me. While I was waiting, I tried turning the idle up to just under 3500 to see if I could get around like that and it seemed like as long as I didn’t hit too steep of a hill, I could probably make it the 3 miles home at 10-15 mph. The advantage of doing a lot of bicycle riding is that I know where all the hills are so I mentally mapped a route home with the least hills, the least traffic and the widest shoulders. With my wife following me, we made it home with no incidents. A spare throttle cable in my parts hoard and I’m up and running 15 minutes later.

I don’t know if I’m prouder about finding a way around the broken throttle cable or about finding a way around having no phone. Certainly very disparate points on the technology timeline.

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Warner Robins, GA, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Macau/ Kastner Tribute"
What a great story. A regular MacGyver you are.
A few years ago I was invited to have my car show at the Hilton Head Concourse event. As I pulled onto the golf course I had a similar experience when the gas pedal dropped to the floor. Nothing! I quickly pulled out the throttle cable to advance the idle and move the car forward. Seemed to work fine until I had to sit behind a line of cars being photographed one at a time sitting on a green. By the time I was positioned on the green the engine had ran hot and steam was boiling out from under the bonnet.

Pushed the car to my designated spot and cleaned up the mess. Realized that the throttle connector was actually plastic swivels and they melted from the heat of the header as the car warmed up waiting in line. Surprising enough, it still won a ribbon as a peoples choice.
Gotta love these cars.

jjjjack Avatar
jjjjack Gold Member Jack Greene
Boston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 "Wee Wee Car"
Greg -

Ingenuity for the win!

A year ago, my '67 GT6 (which at the time had the bell crank throttle) had the retaining nut fall off the back of my throttle shaft on the way home last year - with a similar result. Luckily, I was only 0.6 miles from my house at the time. I had *just* had a 3 x Z/S manifold installed (probably the root cause of te noit coming loose) and my idle was running higher than I would like (~1500 rpm) and I was also able to slip the clutch and get the car home.

On that same trip - I turned on my windshield wipers and one of them flow off of the car - It may still be on I95 in Pawtucket, RI....

=)

Jack

Attachments:
british-passport-british-humour.jpg    7.4 KB
british-passport-british-humour.jpg

neilsie Avatar
neilsie neil S
toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Merlin"
Had something similar with my 76
With my wife in the car to spice things up.pulled onto the shoulder and popped the bonnet.my cable broke and somehow fouled with my coil. Pinched the cable quizzically between thumb and forefinger and did a Mexican hat dance on the side of the road to my wife’s amusement. The cable was almost red hot.
Teaching moment that was.
N.

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Comical, at your expense. smileys with beer

As the crowd here often reminds, ... pic.s? moody smiley

"Living the conundrum"

cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
I created the ugliest fuel pump known to man.

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

Attachments:
20171129_185618.jpg    45.7 KB
20171129_185618.jpg

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
No problem Cole. Just chrome the whole conglomeration and viola, .... BLING!

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Cole, it looks better than most! In fact I think it looks just fine.

Jim, man you just gotta have Bling. That is not a song is it...........Just Gotta Have Bling??? LOL!

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
I managed to get out for a drive for the first time in a few weeks. The weather has not been cooperating.
I called my Ins. broker and had the insurance reduced as of Dec 5th so I can get one or two more good drives in before putting her into hibernation. My broker reminded me I still need an appraisal so I looked after that. The guy came to my house yesterday and much to my surprise, he appraised it at more then what I have in it. Nice to get some good news for a change.
I was cleaning up the car for the appraiser and when I lifted the bonnet, all the paint on the inside of the bonnet is pealing off in sheets. It was fine the last time I looked a few weeks ago. Oh well...better inside then outside I guess.
Cheers

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster