TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I just used longish drywall screws.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Good idea Dave. I have two of the large plastic coated hooks that are perfect for the job. Don't need the pulley system though..........still strong enough to lift it!! LOL!smileys with beer

In reply to # 1496553 by dave-skip-fire-four-iv- Hi doug try those bicycle hooks on the pully system might work ??just an idea

dave-skip-fire-four-iv- Avatar
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Awesome

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Did some more on the suspension at the front and had to put the towers on. They have their own system to get all the bolts lined up. I wrote a bit in the Journal on how too.
Never have figured out if we should double those things up or if people do look at the Journal section.
Good information all around in there.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Attachments:
CIMG0079.JPG    56.2 KB
CIMG0079.JPG

CIMG0080.JPG    63.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Er, I don't see a stack of spacers.

'S all for now
Vic

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1496755 by trrdster Did some more on the suspension at the front and had to put the towers on. They have their own system to get all the bolts lined up. I wrote a bit in the Journal on how too.
Never have figured out if we should double those things up or if people do look at the Journal section.
Good information all around in there.

Wayne, I read your blog entry on this. I am surprised at the bit of difficulty. When I did the two 69 frames all those Tower side bolts and the top inside bolt all went in pretty easily. Like you I did run a thread chaser through all of them as they did have some paint in there. The fun part was getting the nut plates in there in the right direction. I wonder if someone messed with them at one time. When I dismantled the last 69 someone had fully cross threaded all four of the side bolts. They were almost worn smooth on half of the threads, as if it had been in and out several times. I was surprised that when I ran the chaser through the nut blocks they actually straightened out very well. I still had a machine shop make me 4 news ones just in case.
Dan

Attachments:
69 stuff 4.JPG    18 KB
69 stuff 4.JPG

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Dan, Thanks and like you I was surprised it was a bit of a pain. I gave up thinking things would just bolt up. LOL
This was from a '72 going on a '80 frame, the GT6 was about as abused a car as I every ran across.
Lucky me, I have a few of the plates from the 3 cars it took to make this one.
The new shims are in one of the boxes, hate to use them. I have the Rimmer Bros. adjustable arm for the rear axles, so no shims there, that bracket feels much more solid on the back of body wall.
That's a 6 hole rear end (GT6) and I cut off a couple of bolts and flared them and cut a screwdriver slot in them.
A little locktight and no worry about them getting down in there.
Did you read about the spring install? I've done it a bunch and finally figured out how to move the plate to get things to line up. Before I always had to oil the spring leaf and even then it was hard to move when in that slot.
Also thinking of checking out a large bushing for the rear hub instead of the plastic trunnion. Thoughts.
Don't you just hate it when it rains out the golf (9 holes) and rains all day, so you think or should I say overthink.
I have done this so many times, taking it apart to try something is no big deal, especially since it's all new.
It will be so funny when I give it the shake down cruse, my whole trip will be me saying " What the h... was that".

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Ooooo, ...... Blue Driveshaft, ....... (swoon) smiling bouncing smiley

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Definitely, something better than original would be really nice for the rear trunnion.

No Golf today Wayne, too wet yesterday and too cold to boot today. I walk but I am sure it is cart path only today!

In reply to # 1496832 by trrdster Dan, Thanks and like you I was surprised it was a bit of a pain. I gave up thinking things would just bolt up. LOL
This was from a '72 going on a '80 frame, the GT6 was about as abused a car as I every ran across.
Lucky me, I have a few of the plates from the 3 cars it took to make this one.
The new shims are in one of the boxes, hate to use them. I have the Rimmer Bros. adjustable arm for the rear axles, so no shims there, that bracket feels much more solid on the back of body wall.
That's a 6 hole rear end (GT6) and I cut off a couple of bolts and flared them and cut a screwdriver slot in them.
A little locktight and no worry about them getting down in there.
Did you read about the spring install? I've done it a bunch and finally figured out how to move the plate to get things to line up. Before I always had to oil the spring leaf and even then it was hard to move when in that slot.
Also thinking of checking out a large bushing for the rear hub instead of the plastic trunnion. Thoughts.
Don't you just hate it when it rains out the golf (9 holes) and rains all day, so you think or should I say overthink.
I have done this so many times, taking it apart to try something is no big deal, especially since it's all new.
It will be so funny when I give it the shake down cruse, my whole trip will be me saying " What the h... was that".

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Just perfect for your "Rocinante".

Hey, Jim, been thinking of a name for me' Spitfire once it is all done. I went from LiL' Red Fox to Spiritus. I am favoring Spiritus. What do ya think?

In reply to # 1496894 by scardini1 Ooooo, ...... Blue Driveshaft, ....... (swoon) smiling bouncing smiley

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug, No golf today either, English rain and cold. Come on down tomorrow and play, in the 60's, bring Jim with you.
Got to fix a ice maker solenoid in a bit, the first one worked a couple of hours and then gave up.
I'm going to get some measurements on the rear trunnion hole and see if Competition Bushings make anything close.
I used them on the front of the TR6 top A arms, what a difference in just normal driving. Have to look for the hole sleeve size first.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

frandrum Frank D
Warminster, PA, USA   USA
18 holes at Five Ponds in Warminster today. Cart path only on first hole, 90 degrees after that. Very acceptable temperature.

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
In reply to # 1496909 by SpitMan Just perfect for your "Rocinante".

Hey, Jim, been thinking of a name for me' Spitfire once it is all done. I went from LiL' Red Fox to Spiritus. I am favoring Spiritus. What do ya think?

In reply to # 1496894 by scardini1 Ooooo, ...... Blue Driveshaft, ....... (swoon) smiling bouncing smiley

Yo Doug! Well, if we're going to drive both cars together then I strongly recommend Rocinante and "Dapple". Look it up - you'll get a kick out it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
Short but sweet fix of a PO cock-up that's been bothering me.

At some point they cut their own tank to cap hose and it was too tall. The grommet couldn't fit low enough to seat on the body panel. And the whole filler cap was sticking up like a mushroom. Cut the hose down and put a new non-dried out grommet on.

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 04:31 PM by cbez.

Attachments:
IMG-20171108-WA0006.jpeg    26.7 KB
IMG-20171108-WA0006.jpeg

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Moorhead, Minnesota, USA   USA
I'm waiting for a fuel pump to show up so i cleaned under the bonnet and replaced battery cablesangry smiley

Attachments:
DSCF0297.JPG    55.9 KB
DSCF0297.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster