TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505025 by SpitMan Hazen,

Are you sure that is the correct web address? Comes up with a Pakistan Car dealership.

LOL !

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Greg,

So far, we've gotten all our parts from Spitbits, with the exception of the CV rear axles, which we got from RimmerBros.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
We changed out the bushings on the rear leaf spring, which went smoothly. We changed out the bolts through the trunion, because we had those holes rewelded due to being misshaped and the extra material needed longer bolts to get a good number of turns in the lock nuts.

We tried to get the front shocks and springs in, but our attempts failed. The internet video my dad just sent me shows I need to build the whole spring and shock as a unit and then sort of muscle the unit in place. The muscling part might be harder for us, because the car is not firmly on the ground, but is just a chassis on a rotisserie. I'll try the new way, next weekend.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
It is correct. Here's the link. I just forgot how deep it was buried.
https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/t/restoration-story-of-my-spitfire-convertible/64262

In reply to # 1505025 by SpitMan Hazen,

Are you sure that is the correct web address? Comes up with a Pakistan Car dealership.

In reply to # 1504998 by byakk0 There's a spitfire rebuild on pakwheels.com; the guy doing it hand formed floors and those corner valances with not much more than a hammer and dolly.

If I had more time on my hands I'd say send them my way.

In reply to # 1504923 by christrish
In reply to # 1504907 by cmfisher4 Chris, my stuff seems to be all 20ga.

Glad to hear. I wasn't looking forward to trying to bend/form 16ga around those bottom edges on the valence!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1505190 by JohnW63 We changed out the bushings on the rear leaf spring, which went smoothly. We changed out the bolts through the trunion, because we had those holes rewelded due to being misshaped and the extra material needed longer bolts to get a good number of turns in the lock nuts.

We tried to get the front shocks and springs in, but our attempts failed. The internet video my dad just sent me shows I need to build the whole spring and shock as a unit and then sort of muscle the unit in place. The muscling part might be harder for us, because the car is not firmly on the ground, but is just a chassis on a rotisserie. I'll try the new way, next weekend.

John, once your rebuild that shock/spring assembly, it is very easy to install, not a lot of muscling involved. In fact, once you bolt the shock to the lower A frame you will have to lift the whole section up to get the three top bolts through the upper mount area.
Dan

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Finally got some parts in for the new spit.... and the temperature came up to almost 13 degrees during the heat of the day..... Garage was a chilly 30 +/-....... but I slapped in the new temp sensor - and now my water temp gauge is working..... Woo woo! Not exactly as ambitious as most of ya'll........ but ya gotta start somewhere..... Took her out for a spin - and nearly freaked out when - as I was shifting into 4th during an aggressive start - she redlined while out of gear..... popped the clutch and tapped the accelerator - and she came back into line properly.... Back at the garage I checked the throttle linkage to the PO's Weber upgrade - to find his homemade return spring system was woefully inadequate to the point of scary..... Glad I found that before my daughter's first driving lesson...... Mebbe a little linkage work tomorrow - we're going to have a heat wave - might hit 18....

Z

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
One handy way of moving things like this into position is to use a Ratchet Strap (cargo hold-down strap) to pull things together. Wish I had a picture to share. I used this method after rebuilding my spring assembly. Should work for your GT-6 suspension also.

I first tried to muscle mine into place but then used the ratchet strap what a difference; very easy.

Good luck,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1505190 by JohnW63 We changed out the bushings on the rear leaf spring, which went smoothly. We changed out the bolts through the trunion, because we had those holes rewelded due to being misshaped and the extra material needed longer bolts to get a good number of turns in the lock nuts.

TheLeafySpring Avatar
TheLeafySpring Cameron McNeal
Athens, AL, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil E.D."
Set my new roof down record at 18 degrees F. Honestly wasn't too bad, Spitfires seem to deflect wind and collect heat pretty well. A lot better than my Miata.

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Tinkered with the carbs and went for a short drive. smiling smiley

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Bobs78Spit Avatar
Bobs78Spit Silver Member Bob Berger
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505352 by TheZster Finally got some parts in for the new spit.... and the temperature came up to almost 13 degrees during the heat of the day..... Garage was a chilly 30 +/-....... but I slapped in the new temp sensor - and now my water temp gauge is working..... Woo woo! Not exactly as ambitious as most of ya'll........ but ya gotta start somewhere..... Took her out for a spin - and nearly freaked out when - as I was shifting into 4th during an aggressive start - she redlined while out of gear..... popped the clutch and tapped the accelerator - and she came back into line properly.... Back at the garage I checked the throttle linkage to the PO's Weber upgrade - to find his homemade return spring system was woefully inadequate to the point of scary..... Glad I found that before my daughter's first driving lesson...... Mebbe a little linkage work tomorrow - we're going to have a heat wave - might hit 18....

Z

I abandoned my webber after I found that the linkage for the primary and secondary would get pulled too far open and then stick open. No mater the amount of springs or adjusting of linkages between the primary/secondary. This happened to me 2 times on highway on ramps. Only recourse was to use the key to shut it off. I'm now using a single stromberg from a 74 that has the large runner manifold and a manual choke. Once set up properly this has been trouble free for me for years.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Proper adjustment of linkages of all types of carburetors is crucial for proper operation. Does not matter what type it is. If it binds or catches; you did something wrong. Don't blame the carb!

Just say'n!!!

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
I think I have to agree with Doug..... We are adding things not designed specifically for our vehicles..... some work out of the box - others take tweaking.... i'm going over my linkage carefully today (after yesterday's red line fiasc0).... and am certain I can come up with a good looking (important) and functional (more important) solution....

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Addendum: thinking outside the expressed concerns..... If your manifold is set up for a SU - and you install a Weber or anything different..... the clearances for the butterflies (internally), linkage (external) could potentially cause them to stay open when you want them closed or closing.... One reason I always used an adapter plate when putting a Holly 850 dbl pumper on a big block HP engine....

Z

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Good point! thumbs up

In reply to # 1505573 by TheZster Addendum: thinking outside the expressed concerns..... If your manifold is set up for a SU - and you install a Weber or anything different..... the clearances for the butterflies (internally), linkage (external) could potentially cause them to stay open when you want them closed or closing.... One reason I always used an adapter plate when putting a Holly 850 dbl pumper on a big block HP engine....

Z

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Finally got Huxley running again. After several aborted attempts to get a new Fuel Pressure Regulator from distributors, I went directly to Holley and ordered it through them. It arrived yesterday and took a bit of time to mount due to the already crowded shelf behind the engine.

But it solved the problem and now He is starting very easily and runs fine.

Attachments:
20180104_145801.jpg    46 KB
20180104_145801.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links