TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
It is two mufflers that are bridged together and the "Y" is built into them. All that is needed is to adapt the single pipe to it. No additional Y is needed.

In reply to # 1497830 by rpierce looks great. is that a single unit that splits from one pipe to the two muffler tips?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Jim, my thoughts also.
Might have to win the lottery.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
They look great Wayne, how about painting them Anthracite........Then I'll stop by and pick them up!!! LOL!

In reply to # 1497721 by trrdster Russel, you mean something like these. Took a while to fine them.
I'm going with gun metal gray, not sure which one, like the BMW and the Mazda one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
FlipperD2 Flipper Davis
Dallas, TX, USA   USA
I would LOVE to have one of those triple intakes.
Jealousy is a terrible color, but it's all I got right now.

If it's not leaking, it's empty.

bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NEVADA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
Today I found out I have a 7.5 gallon fuel tank not the 9.9 it says in the Haynes manual.confused smiley

cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497933 by bonnett1954 Today I found out I have a 7.5 gallon fuel tank not the 9.9 it says in the Haynes manual.confused smiley

????

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
In reply to # 1497920 by FlipperD2 I would LOVE to have one of those triple intakes.
Jealousy is a terrible color, but it's all I got right now.

LMAO! It's OK Flipper. Stay calm. Email me if you want some reality on the triples. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE them, but maybe not for the usual reasons.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1497933 by bonnett1954 Today I found out I have a 7.5 gallon fuel tank not the 9.9 it says in the Haynes manual.confused smiley

Based on the technical bulletins from Triumph, you should have an 8.7 gal (US) tank as shown in this cut from the book. That is about 7.2 imperial.
Dan

Attachments:
78 fuel tank.pdf    106.3 KB

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Jeez, ... I'm really happy I found an old, non-EPA choked tank for Roci. The thought of running a modified GT6 engine out of 10 gallon tank was scary enough. To have 8.5 (or LESS) would have been unthinkable.

bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NEVADA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
Was a rough estimate Dan. Might be off by a gallon. I'll have a more precise measurement when I fill her up.
In reply to # 1497938 by Yellowhawk Valley

Based on the technical bulletins from Triumph, you should have an 8.7 gal (US) tank as shown in this cut from the book. That is about 7.2 imperial.
Dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497952 by bonnett1954 Was a rough estimate Dan. Might be off by a gallon. I'll have a more precise measurement when I fill her up.

Some gas stations are known to cheat the pumps to make it look like you are getting more gas than you really are.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Just curious Dave, what led/leads you to believe it might only be 7.5 gal?
Dan

jkell01 Avatar
jkell01 Jack Kelleher
New Haven, Connecticut, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Mrs. Doubtfire"
I've often thought I might have a 7.5 too. Filling from running on vapours to almost out the spout has never taken more than 7.5 gal (pump reading) in my car. I did once run it til it ran completely dry and cut out... My gauge packed up that week and I thought I could make it to the cheaper gas station a little further away eye rolling smiley Even that time it barely took 8 gal.

But logic tells me that a 1980 Spit 1500 with emissions equipment would have 10 gal. Unless a PO did something seriously dim when replacing a perforated tank.

jjjjack Avatar
jjjjack Gold Member Jack Greene
Boston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 "Wee Wee Car"
Jim -

Richard Good at Goodparts makes the Mk1 Manifold. While he mostly makes TR6 parts, there are some that he will adapt for the GT6.

Be careful with the 3x Z/S manifold - While the one from the Vitesse/Triumph 2000 and the GT6 Mk1 manifold looks the same externally, the GT6 intake ports are almost 1/8" larger in diameter (see photo). If you ever want it, send him a the gasket and he will machine it to port-match.

To be honest, when I went from 2 to 3 carbs, getting the whole thing tuned (and getting it to stay that way) was almost impossible. After a year of tinkering, I saved up the money for the Patton Machine 3x throttle body fuel injection kit with mapped electronic ignition. While costly ($2,500 for the kit), that changed the car from a weekend project to my daily driver. If I did it all over again, I would have done both projects at the same time, but I did not have the money.

Richard Good will also makes 4-piston Wilwood brake upgrade kits for the fronts of the GT6 - although this is more complex. His calipers for the TR6 will fit, but, you need to have him mill the Wilwood 10.5" rotors down to 10.25". The bigger issue is that the new calipers are taller and the stock wire rims that came with the car will not fit. Since I wanted to go from 13" to 14" rims anyway (for more tire options) - that 1" gave me the space I needed for the calipers to fit.

Be well

Jack

Attachments:
Port Match - compressed.JPG    29.6 KB
Port Match - compressed.JPG

14 x 5 wheels drawing - 2.pdf    186.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
What the hey!, Jim. I thought you were getting 30 mpg..........sounds like you are getting more like 15!!! Keep your foot off the accelerator some. I know, I know, that is hard to do with a Spit6. hot smiley

In reply to # 1497940 by scardini1 Jeez, ... I'm really happy I found an old, non-EPA choked tank for Roci. The thought of running a modified GT6 engine out of 10 gallon tank was scary enough. To have 8.5 (or LESS) would have been unthinkable.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster