TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
My pleasure Russell. If we can't get her in the Macau, we'll get her into something! Scared to "hear" the Macau? It couldn't possibly sound any worse than when I brought Roci on line with badly conceived 2 1/2" exhaust system that leaked everywhere! People thought I'd installed a V8 - lol.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Pulled and cleaned the plugs and regapped to .30 and then tuned the bypass valve.

Noticed a dead spot when blipping the throttle.

Probably a bad plug wire.

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Warner Robins, GA, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Macau/ Kastner Tribute"
Well, When researching the original Macau there were several comments about how loud it was soooo. When I built the gt6 engine I went with a header to a resonator then to a set of megaphones period. I'm now restricted from starting it before 7am or after 9pm. :-( by her of course.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1186.JPG    45.9 KB
IMG_1186.JPG

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Yes, I think it gives it a very retro sporting look that some of the vintage racers had. Just different enough from everyone else to stand out.

scardini1 Avatar
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
BTW: Those blacked-out spoke rims that Wayne put up really look sweet in person. And they're an improvement over the OEM design (The hubs won't fly off! - lol).

Hmmm, ... Black out the grill, knock off the windshield trim, Group 44 scheme in grey; maybe even mount black mirrors, and that's starting to sound mighty interesting.

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
Glad to know somebody gets it. I'm not the most interesting man in the world but I do have my moments...

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Thanks Russel and Jim, I was thinking we were the only ones.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
thumbs up
I get it Russel! Similar theme for mine. Like Jim said; black grill and so forth. The Spitfire Mk3 sort of went that way, so, I just followed that but the mirrors are black and the color scheme of the car is red and black. (if I can ever get to paint it!!!) I like the megaphones on the Macau. I am using 3A racing dual SS mufflers. Sounds good...........doesn't it Jim? LOL!

In reply to # 1497811 by rpierce Glad to know somebody gets it. I'm not the most interesting man in the world but I do have my moments...

Attachments:
DSC00014 (1024x768).jpg    35.2 KB
DSC00014 (1024x768).jpg

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
I like that exhaust! May I borrow that look for my "wife approved" one?

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
But of course you can! I am sending a side view to help you decide. I have two inline resonators ahead of the mufflers to tame it down some.

In reply to # 1497823 by rpierce I like that exhaust! May I borrow that look for my "wife approved" one?

Attachments:
DSC00013 (1024x768).jpg    34.9 KB
DSC00013 (1024x768).jpg

rpierce Avatar
rpierce Russell P
looks great. is that a single unit that splits from one pipe to the two muffler tips?

jjjjack Avatar
jjjjack Gold Member Jack Greene
Boston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 "Wee Wee Car"
Doug and Russell -

On my GT6, I went with this exhaust kit:

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RG1277

It came pretty much complete with the 6-3-1 header, resonator, Y-pipe and two mufflers and required minimal modification to fit to the car.

Here is how it looks from the rear and side views and a shot of the headers mounted to the engine.

Between the 3 x ZS manifold and the headers (which went on at the same time) I got *very* noticeable amounts of extra torque. The car is louder, but manageable below 3,000 rpm.

With the GBP down - and no VAT for shipments to the USA, the set for a Mk2 or Mk3, the cost is 516 GBP (which is significant) - but a lot cheaper then a new system for a modern car like my wife's 2011 Mini or my 2005 WRX.

Jack

Attachments:
GT6 Exhaust.jpg    38.9 KB
GT6 Exhaust.jpg

GT6 Exhaust - Side.jpg    29.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Headers and Carbs.jpg    45.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Very nice Jack.
Mine will be close to that, only the four pipe tips off a Monza system. Got to make the "Y" pipe.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, wa, USA   USA
Has anyone not run a Y pipe? What happens if you just run the two pipes from the header?

scardini1 Avatar
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Wow Jack, ... Where in the world did you find a MK1 Triple 150 Manifold?

If I ever need a Unicorn, a know who to call!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster