TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Thanks Dan. The stiffness of the poly may be a latching problem as you explained. For 5 more dollars US I think I will order the original type.

Doug-in-Vegas, I believe I got them from my favorite place Rimmer Bros.. They list the original type and the poly. First problem I have had with their stuff.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug, you got Jim back in your area after a 2700 mile trip and a couple of days here. Great fun and got a few things done. Hope he puts a long write up on his travels, I bet he gained 10 pounds. They band us from the Chinese Buffet between him and my wife.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1477554 by SpitMan Thanks Dan. The stiffness of the poly may be a latching problem as you explained. For 5 more dollars US I think I will order the original type.

Doug-in-Vegas, I believe I got them from my favorite place Rimmer Bros.. They list the original type and the poly. First problem I have had with their stuff.

The DPO of my car had put rubber from cane tips on mine.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The locating pins are $2.00 right now at TRF. They are the rubber ones. The last ones I got there are very good, still work perfect.
Dan

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Haha,... Yeh the Chinese place will think twice before letting us do the all-you-can-eat thing again.

And the trip's apparently not over yet. I'm on the Chesapeake helping a friend with his boat!

I really need to get back to work so I can rest.

angel221 Avatar
angel221 Angel M
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Replaced the Starter. Pinion not sliding. What a joy to not hear it just spinning. 38 years of service is not to bad. I wish they were made better. HAHAHA

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Checked the oil then went for a drive. One of those days I just couldn't be in the house. Too many memories haunting me so I headed down to Port Dover and hung out on the beach for a while, bought another hat then headed back taking a few detours along the way. Perfect top down driving weather. 24° and just a few clouds. Nice.thumbs up

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

FrankD Avatar
FrankD Frank D
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
Nice work J.P. !

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Quote: Replaced the Starter. Pinion not sliding. What a joy to not hear it just spinning. 38 years of service is not to bad. I wish they were made better. HAHAHA

Did you try just cleaning the sliding shaft area to see if that would allow it to work or was it just dead?
Dan

Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Worked on rebuilding my differential today - installed new oil seals on inner axle shafts as well as new bearings. Drove out the old bearing races for the pinion when I discovered that my brand new bearing has a defect on its race, so I had to stop for the day. Won't be able to get a new bearing race until monday. I've had these parts sitting in the garage for over a year so I don't know if it's worth the hassle to talk with spitbits about it - in the meantime I found the same bearing race on amazon.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Did he fit in "Rocinante"! Well he is skinny enough to carry an extra 10 lbs. LOL!

In reply to # 1477613 by trrdster Doug, you got Jim back in your area after a 2700 mile trip and a couple of days here. Great fun and got a few things done. Hope he puts a long write up on his travels, I bet he gained 10 pounds. They band us from the Chinese Buffet between him and my wife.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
2007 Ford Ranger
Today I found out my ignition has an "accessory" position. I didn't know that.
Also made a heat shield for the exhaust manifold. Just need to pick up some bolts for it tomorrow.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1477814 by J.P.Rap Today I found out my ignition has an "accessory" position. I didn't know that.
Also made a heat shield for the exhaust manifold. Just need to pick up some bolts for it tomorrow.

Actually, it's the radio position. A single white wire with a pink tracer. I like the idea of giving it it's own spot on the fusebox.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
2007 Ford Ranger
In reply to # 1477816 by Doug in Vegas

Actually, it's the radio position. A single white wire with a pink tracer. I like the idea of giving it it's own spot on the fusebox.

Yes. Now that you mention it, the radio is the only thing that operates in that position. I have an inline fuse at the radio.
Ive been contemplating putting in an ignition cut off switch so I could turn on the radio and not have power to the ignition. I wasn't too crazy about doing that and now I don't have to. I found it by accident while tracing a brake light problem. I thought it was strange that the brake lights only work when the ignition is on. Ive never seen that before.
Cheers

angel221 Avatar
angel221 Angel M
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
@ Dan, I did check it and its clean it. But alas i think it is dead. Only slides part ways up on the shaft after i release it from its engagement position. I will over the winter replace the pinion gear and see what happens. Rimmer has that item in stock.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph Vitesse 2L

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links