Please Sign In or Register to Search

throttle linkage

Posted by 19 Again 
19 Again Avatar
Mike Logue
New Hampshire, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Whitey"

does anyone have any experience with this product? Not sure if it's an improvement or another place to send money.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

In reply to a post by 19 Again does anyone have any experience with this product? Not sure if it's an improvement or another place to send money.

Product? What product?
19 Again Avatar
Mike Logue
New Hampshire, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB

D'OH!
http://www.rat-co.com/ThrotleLink.html
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Falkon Avatar
Al Martin
Wisconsin, USA   usa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 08:54PM by Falkon.
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

Tony was at the VTR convention in August and brought a frame and a number of other ptoducts he produces as well as a nice TR5. I must say, I was very impressed with everything I saw, so I would have to say that it is more than likely a worthwhile purchase if you are in need of that sort of thing.

Joe
19 Again Avatar
Mike Logue
New Hampshire, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB

Thanks Joe, I am of the mind that anybody who establishes a business exclusively dealing with something as specific as Triumph parts has got to be making a great product and is devoted to our hobby/passion. (That's in exact contrast to other vendors who have weekend specials with prices that are higher than anyone else's regular "non-sale" prices. {$75.00 for green stuff pads, indeed!! Get real Charles.})
But having spent a few dollars on stuff that I'll never use, and not having rebuilt a Triumph yet,I figured I'd ask if the throttle linkage was a logical product to purchase. I'll be on Long Island next week on business and if I have time I'll stop by at their facility.
My MG has SU's and they are great, I have heard horror stories about tuning the Stromberg's so any product that makes the Stromberg experience more "joyful" is something worth asking about.
Bill Kea
Spartanburg, SC, USA   usa

They have a good reputation for their frames. I would love to see the prices for the linkage kits as I am converting a 1500 to the twin carb set up and need one.
19 Again Avatar
Mike Logue
New Hampshire, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB

Bill, they're $100.00. here's the link: http://www.rat-co.com/perfupricelist.html

Still curious if anyone has experience with this.
Bill Kea
Spartanburg, SC, USA   usa

In reply to a post by 19 Again Bill, they're $100.00. here's the link: http://www.rat-co.com/perfupricelist.html

Still curious if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks. I finally found it after i posted my comment. That's a bit rich for me as I have a lot of the parts I need.
90632D Avatar
Fox Trapper
Various, USA   usa

If I had an SU or ZS, or a pair of them, and no linkage at all, I'd give serious thought to the Ratco product. But if I did have linkage, I wouldn't be inclined to replace it with theirs. Nothing to gain that I can see.

If I simply wanted to play with linkage improvement, I'd be looking at finding or making a pulley that installed on the shaft, and have the cable wind around that. Playing with bell cranks and rods never gives uniform throttle response, and leaves one chronically battling the balance of where to have quick throttle response vs slow, what areas of motion best produce full open throttle, etc. A pulley disc eliminates this.
Canuck6 Avatar
Rick K
Bolton, Ontario, Canada   can

Personally, it looks like just what I need. I didn't know such a thing was available. My stock throttle linkage has completely worn-out bushings, that cause the throttle to stick a little. It isn't bad, but enough that it makes it annoying to try and go from off-throttle to on-throttle smoothly at times. I know I can replace the bushings (which sounds like a royal pain from what I've read). But then I still have a system that is putting pressure on bushings and isn't going to be a smooth as it could be. That's what I think anyways. I read somewhere that Jags use actual rolling element bearings for the linkage. I'm going to order one of these setups rather than replace the bushings in mine (and still maybe not be happy with it).

Rick
GT6Steve Avatar
Steve Smith
North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   usa

Switch it over to a cable using the Spitty combo cable and choke cable mount on the front carb and be done with it. There's a bit more to it than that but you can find an article on the conversion in the archives of GT6.com. third or fourth issue I think...
Canuck6 Avatar
Rick K
Bolton, Ontario, Canada   can

In reply to a post by GT6Steve Switch it over to a cable using the Spitty combo cable and choke cable mount on the front carb and be done with it. There's a bit more to it than that but you can find an article on the conversion in the archives of GT6.com. third or fourth issue I think...

Do those "issues" actually work? I get "the page cannot be displayed".

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8