Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Triumph TR10 for sale

Posted by 96DXCivic 
Robert Coates
Franklin, KY, USA   usa

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2463372920.html

Saw this on Craigslist. I never heard of this car.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
pturley Avatar
Paul Turley
Cleveland area, NE, Ohio, USA   usa
1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII "My Oldest Son Claims; "MINE!""

I believe the correct designation is a Standard 10, not a TR.

Neat find.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Robert Coates
Franklin, KY, USA   usa

According to stuff I just read online, it was only called that in the US.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   usa
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1967 Triumph Sports 1200 "The Munsonmobile"

In reply to a post by 96DXCivic Saw this on Craigslist. I never heard of this car.
I'm not convinced the seller has, either. His history is a bit off: Triumph bought the Standard Motor Car Company in order to move from strictly a motorcycle manufacturer to a manufacturer of motor vehicles.Let's see now, where to start? Triumph began with bicycles, then added motorcycles and began automobile production in 1923. By the mid-1930s, financial problems resulted in both the bicycle and motorcycle lines being sold off. Then, in 1945, Standard bought what was left of Triumph (little more than the name, thanks to bombing of Coventry during WWII), not the other way 'round!

As to the car, it is a Triumph 10, a Triumph-badged version of the Standard 10 most everywhere else in the world. They sold decently well as a sideline to Triumph sports cars from about 1957-60 (so the car can't be a "1955" if it is the Triumph version that it appears to be). There was a sedan as well, and both were powered by the 948cc engine that would later power the first Heralds. Of course, that engine later expanded to the familiar 1147, 1296 and 1493cc engines Spitfire folk know so well and, with two more cylinders tacked on, the 2 and 2.5 liter sixes!
Robert Coates
Franklin, KY, USA   usa

I don't know if this is true or not but somewhere I read the Estate was not official sold in the US.
spitlist Avatar
Joe Curry
Sahuarita, AZ, USA   usa

I believe that the Triumph name was used in the US (over the Standard name used elsewhere) because of the rather demeaning message that the usage of the term "Standard" has taken on in the US. Something here is standard if it is common everyday stuff. In the UK Standard is the term used as what everything is gauged against so it means substantually more there than it does here.

Whether it is true or not, it certainly makes sense.

Joe
Andrew Mace
1962 Triumph Herald 1200

In reply to a post by 96DXCivic I don't know if this is true or not but somewhere I read the Estate was not official sold in the US.
I suspect this is what you read: Sales of the two models were not spectacular -- production figures show only 9907 sedans and 7351 wagons built under the Triumph name -- but the cars helped pave the way in the U.S. for their successor, the Herald. In fact, the two models sold side-by-side for a while in 1960. Surprisingly, though, the Estate Wagon version of the Herald was never officially marketed in the U.S., although the 10 Estate Wagon did reasonably well here. Apparently the TRIMATIC never made the transition to Herald at all. -- from VTR's Triumph 10 page.
GT6Steve Avatar
Steve Smith
North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   usa

That's pretty cool! Back in 73 my new to me 71 Spitty was constantly overheating because of a very narrow rad with sheetmetal filler oplates adapting it to the frame.

The radiator guy said "I've got one from a Triumph TR10 that ought to fit"

It did, full width and perfect. For years after I was confused about that TR10 until my new Brit girlfriend, now wife, told me about the Standard 10.
britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

Brit girlfriend? Wow Steve, you went for the whole package! A British car and a British passenger seat cover!

I hope you didn't make the mistake my brother made when he told his British girlfriend she was full of spunk. Damn those language barriers anyway!

Seeing as you married your girlfriend, I assume you didn't.
GT6Steve Avatar
Steve Smith

LOL, she's been around these premises for about 30 years now and we still find the rare communication breakdown.

She still tells the story of making a mistake in the ledger and asking her male coworker for a rubber. After much embarrassment on his part they determined she needed an eraser.....

brit4a Avatar
Allen Rugg
Conroe,TX, USA   usa

I guess asking for a cigarette is taboo also in this day and age lol
britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

The most amusing story about a communication failure I've ever heard (and this may just be my immaturity) was told to me by my wife. She used to work at a local printing company run by two brothers, Mike and Dick. During a staff meeting, the receptionist (a friend of my wife's named Sally) interrupted on the intercomm to say that Dick had an urgent phone call from one of their best customers. This was odd because Mike handled all contact with customers. A split second later the intercomm came on again and Sally announced that the phone call was actually meant for Mike, and then apologized by saying "I'm sorry, I guess I just had Dick on my mind."

There was dead silence in the room and a half second later, with the intercomm still on, Sally groaned, "Oh God!"

The laughter went on so long they had to cancel the meeting and the customer was told he would be called back as Mike was currently indisposed.

I still get a chuckle from that story (still immature I guess).
Gabriel Reh
Colorado, USA   usa
1967 Triumph 1300
1970 Triumph 1300 "Quagmire"

I want a TR10 estate soooo bad!!! Same length and width of a spit or GT6
"complete" i highly doubt it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 01:23PM by VolkswagenTriumph.
Andrew Mace
1962 Triumph Herald 1200

In reply to a post by VolkswagenTriumph I want a TR10 estate soooo bad!!! Same length and width of a spit or GT6
"complete" i highly doubt it.
I'm confused; what is it that you doubt?
1147cc Avatar
Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   usa
1958 Triumph 10
1958 Triumph TR3A
1958 Triumph TR3A
1961 Triumph TR4
1963 Triumph Spitfire 4 (MkI) ~ For Sale ! ~   → more

The Truck was never sold in the US and I also bought one; but now its prob turned into some building in china.
I have an estate and Ive been looking for another car; wish this one was closer to me.
its not worth $1200 for sure. I paid $100 for the one I have.

1147cc Avatar
Douglas Hansen
1958 Triumph 10
1958 Triumph TR3A
1958 Triumph TR3A
1961 Triumph TR4

This site needs to include the Ten on the model list; right now I have mine listed as a Herald sad smiley
1147cc Avatar
Douglas Hansen
1958 Triumph 10
1958 Triumph TR3A
1958 Triumph TR3A
1961 Triumph TR4

In reply to a post by britsnspits Brit girlfriend? Wow Steve, you went for the whole package! A British car and a British passenger seat cover!

I hope you didn't make the mistake my brother made when he told his British girlfriend she was full of spunk. Damn those language barriers anyway!

Seeing as you married your girlfriend, I assume you didn't.

My GFs British. Going over in August to see her.
I might just bring her back with me thumbs up smiley
GT6Steve Avatar
Steve Smith

I don't know how they're making em these days but I've been pretty happy with the Classics!
David Cole
KY, USA   usa

Michael,

Regarding the communication story; mark me down as immature too. Immature as hell! I laughed hard and long. (yes the play on words was intentional and I'm laughing now)

David
Gabriel Reh
Colorado, USA   usa
1967 Triumph 1300
1970 Triumph 1300 "Quagmire"

In reply to a post by Herald948 ]I'm confused; what is it that you doubt?

The add says the car is complete

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8