Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

New Guy and Lucas conversion question

Posted by pkbinplano 
pkbinplano Avatar
paul Baranowski
Texas, USA   usa

New guy here, well, posted over a year ago. Pulled father-n-laws 75 Spitfire out of his garage. Hasn't ran since 81. 35k documented hard miles. Any ways the lucas electronic dizzy was dead so I bought a new points dizzy, cap, wires and coil. The new coil is a Lucas pn DLB102. Am I correct in assuming this is a direct replacement for the stock coil ? No need to bypass the ballast resistor wire ? Also Do I run the condensor wire from the new dizzy to the coil negative and do I need to reground the coil being the electronic dizzy is removed and disconnected. This is what I'm gathering from the Haymes manual looking at a points style schematic
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

Paul,

There's an electronic ignition kit available on Rock Auto right now that fits most Spitfire distributors and is really easy to wire up. It only has two wires, one red and one black. The black wire goes to the negative side of the coil, and the red goes to the positive side. It's that simple. The best part is that they have a warehouse closeout sale on the part and you can get it for $55. That's less than half the new price if you bought it elsewhere.

Mike
pkbinplano Avatar
paul Baranowski
Texas, USA   usa

may do that later on but for now I'm just trying to establisg a spark. I think I'm good to go. Will try tomorrow and crank it. That kit sounds like a Pertronics knockoff. Ran pertronics in my 73 BMW for a couple of years untill it went out. Went back to points.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
britsnspits Avatar
Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   usa
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"

Yeah, I've heard that from others on this board. But they are simple to run and at $55 I thought it would cheap enough to have a spare on hand. I'd hate to have to go back to using points...fiddly things that they are.
Tracy Howard
Radford, VA, USA   usa
1971 Triumph Spitfire "Was "rusty", Now "Spitty""

In reply to a post by pkbinplano New guy here, well, posted over a year ago. Pulled father-n-laws 75 Spitfire out of his garage. Hasn't ran since 81. 35k documented hard miles. Any ways the lucas electronic dizzy was dead so I bought a new points dizzy, cap, wires and coil. The new coil is a Lucas pn DLB102. Am I correct in assuming this is a direct replacement for the stock coil ?

Also Do I run the condensor wire from the new dizzy to the coil negative and do I need to reground the coil being the electronic dizzy is removed and disconnected. This is what I'm gathering from the Haymes manual looking at a points style schematic

I don't think so. The condensor is grounded to the points plate.
The coil neg (-) goes to the open side of the points. If you ground the coil itself, it will never be able to discharge. The ground happens when the points close, builds charge and when they open connection is interupted...ZAP to the high voltage side.

Somewhere on the coil itself it should indicate that a) needs external resistance or b) no external resistor required. A quick google search indicated that the DLB102 is a 6 volt coil so the resitor wire is needed.

No need to bypass the ballast resistor wire ? RIGHT! If you bypass it and run a straight 12V the coil will fry.
pkbinplano Avatar
paul Baranowski
Texas, USA   usa

Much appreciated !!! will get some starter fluid tomorrow and see if she sputters. Here she is in her slumber before I pulled her out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2011 05:49PM by pkbinplano.

Attachments:
380594022.jpg (48.1 KB) –
380594022.jpg

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save