Posted by still weldin 
Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dwayne Wiebe
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada   can

Does anybody know about using a FORD T9? What all is required if I can get the tranny?

jholmgren Avatar
Jim Holmgren
York, PA, USA   usa

You'll need a new driveshaft, transmission mount, some sort of bell housing adapter, new transmission tunnel cover and speedometer cable.

You can reuse your original flywheel, bell housing and hydraulic clutch components. There will be some drilling of holes and sheet metal work and your speedometer will need to be recalibrated.

Definitely not a 'bolt in' conversion, but there are several vendors that sell this upgrade in kit form with all the bits and pieces included...for about $2,500 or so.

I considered it for quite a while before I opted for the J-Type OD that is now in my Spit.

Jim

Jim Holmgren
'75 Spitfire 1500 w/OD
York, PA
www.littlebluespitfire.com

grubscrew Avatar
grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   usa

Quantum Mechanics in Connecticut supplies a turn key package. Google it. Pricey.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
hymodyne Avatar
james king
salisbury, MD, USA   usa
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Baby Blue"

I sourced my own ford sierra gearbox (T-9) and bought the adapter plate and other bits from Canleys. Anticipate shift lever location issues if you are putting this in a gt6 especially as most would say you will need a shortened remote shifter assembly. Quite a few good web sites and blogs on the conversion process.

I haven't assembled all of the bits yet as I'm just about to rebuild the engine.

hym

chad duncan
west, Canada   can

It seems to me that if someone wanted to go to the bother of fabricating or $$$ing a custom transmission into a spitfire or GT6 it would be cheaper and easier to just replace the motor/trans combo with something else. A small 4 cyl with a 5 speed out of an early 80's toyota or some such. More power, more reliability, more gears, only mounts and driveshaft to do. No complicated equations, measurements or custom machine shop work to build an adapter plate to connect the gears to an inferior motor, and still a lot less $$$ to buy a 22RE than buying the adapter plate.
The motor/trans swap is probably cheaper than buying the proper triumph overdrive.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rampant racing Avatar
gary fraser
sarnia, ont., Canada   can
1969 Triumph Spitfire "King Henry V 8TH"

In reply to a post by Evilhorde It seems to me that if someone wanted to go to the bother of fabricating or $$$ing a custom transmission into a spitfire or GT6 it would be cheaper and easier to just replace the motor/trans combo with something else. A small 4 cyl with a 5 speed out of an early 80's toyota or some such. More power, more reliability, more gears, only mounts and driveshaft to do. No complicated equations, measurements or custom machine shop work to build an adapter plate to connect the gears to an inferior motor, and still a lot less $$$ to buy a 22RE than buying the adapter plate.
The motor/trans swap is probably cheaper than buying the proper triumph overdrive.
agreed,and if you sold off the triumph stuff you could do the swap real cheap.but beware there is ALWAYS more fabrication required than one thinks.and you have to decide if you will keep it carbureted or go injection.myself i would find a nice little carbureted motor around 2-2.3 litre with trans and pop it in.don't go horsepower crazy or the rear end will go by by.

Dwayne Wiebe

Thanks guys for your opinions. I already have a Toyota Corolla I drive to work in winter. However. When I pop the hood of my Triumph in the summer, I want it to look like a Triumph. Speed is not everything in regards to my ride, however, I live an hour west of the city and drive mostly highway, thought the extra gear would be nice. Also thought it might be easier to find an old Ford tranny vs a Triumph overdive tranny. It is getting to the point of trying to be a lil bit creative. Thats all. Most people with Triumphs tend to want to sell the whole car, not just an overdrive transmission. And if I found the whole car that was a good deal, I probably wouldn't ROB the tranny, I would end up with another car. I have 3 convertibles now and an old truck. and with our 2 daily drivers and my acreage work truck, that would put me at 8. My wife would flip........ Question for James..... The pic at Canleys site shows a transmission, How much for all the required goods if I get my own transmission like you did?

rampant racing Avatar
gary fraser
sarnia, ont., Canada   can
1969 Triumph Spitfire "King Henry V 8TH"

In reply to a post by still weldin Thanks guys for your opinions. I already have a Toyota Corolla I drive to work in winter. However. When I pop the hood of my Triumph in the summer, I want it to look like a Triumph. Speed is not everything in regards to my ride, however, I live an hour west of the city and drive mostly highway, thought the extra gear would be nice. Also thought it might be easier to find an old Ford tranny vs a Triumph overdive tranny. It is getting to the point of trying to be a lil bit creative. Thats all. Most people with Triumphs tend to want to sell the whole car, not just an overdrive transmission. And if I found the whole car that was a good deal, I probably wouldn't ROB the tranny, I would end up with another car. I have 3 convertibles now and an old truck. and with our 2 daily drivers and my acreage work truck, that would put me at 8. My wife would flip........ Question for James..... The pic at Canleys site shows a transmission, How much for all the required goods if I get my own transmission like you did?
understood,would a t5 trans not be able to be adapted with a spacer,or a trans from something else altogether.i bet there is something out there that will work.i know the t9 looks an awfull lot like the trans i had in my pinto racecar,and it took a shit kicking from a hopped up 2300 that launched at 8200 rpm and shifted at 10,000 rpm.it was a four speed trans mind you.goodluck

hymodyne Avatar
james king
salisbury, MD, USA   usa

In reply to a post by still weldin Thanks guys for your opinions. I already have a Toyota Corolla I drive to work in winter. However. When I pop the hood of my Triumph in the summer, I want it to look like a Triumph. Speed is not everything in regards to my ride, however, I live an hour west of the city and drive mostly highway, thought the extra gear would be nice. Also thought it might be easier to find an old Ford tranny vs a Triumph overdive tranny. It is getting to the point of trying to be a lil bit creative. Thats all. Most people with Triumphs tend to want to sell the whole car, not just an overdrive transmission. And if I found the whole car that was a good deal, I probably wouldn't ROB the tranny, I would end up with another car. I have 3 convertibles now and an old truck. and with our 2 daily drivers and my acreage work truck, that would put me at 8. My wife would flip........ Question for James..... The pic at Canleys site shows a transmission, How much for all the required goods if I get my own transmission like you did?

so far I've purchased the adapter plate and the crank spigot bush, which comes to about $149.00. this figure doesn't account for the lower price per piece (excl. VAT) and it also doesn't include shipping from the UK to Maryland. I had to buy it in bits so my wife won't freak out about about the boxes showing up on our doorstep and their effect on our bank account...I still have to get the tailhousing bush and the clutch driven plate from canleys; I plan to get my original propshaft shortened and attach the splined drive from the original sierra propshaft (minus its rotoflex-like rubber doughnt portion) to it. I bought a shift lever a when I got the gearbox for an extra $60.00

Picked up the used gearbox here: http://www.merkur.50megs.com/index.html Went to the used Xr4ti parts link.

Hym

Dwayne Wiebe

Thanks James!!!

Disco Stu Avatar
Philip Dunne
Silicon Valley, CA, USA   usa
Bill Kea
Spartanburg, SC, USA   usa

I have a T9 in my storage building and found out about the Canley adapter plate. I was ready to order one when the price went up (from $97 to $127)due to the currency exchange. I'm waiting for it to improve so i can order it.

brit4a Avatar
Allen Rugg
Conroe,TX, USA   usa

Thanks for the link I have been looking for a T9 for a while

Marino Alonzo
San Diego, Ca, USA   usa

I am considering a 5 speed conversion for my 74 Spitfire for quite sometime now, I found a T9 from a Merkur XR4ti at http://www.merkur.50megs.com/index.html Will this work with Canley Classic adapter plate and parts? buying the whole kit with the tranny is too pricey for me. I have a 3 rail spitfire with overdrive in running condition(still in the car) Is it Better to stick with this set up or better to go to a T9 for a daily driver. I also heard that a t9 from a Merkur XR4 ti might have the input shaft too long ans need I need to find a T9 from a Sierra. Does anybody out here done a this swap using Merkur unit. Can I shorten the input shaft from Merkur to fit the pieces from Canley Classic. I have access to a lathe and can do cut and turn down input shaft tip if needed. does anybody out there have any info on this?

hymodyne Avatar
james king
salisbury, MD, USA   usa

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

TRExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

The Pub

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

Spitfire & GT6

TR6 & TR250

TR7 & TR8