Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Re: this thread... you can lead a horse to water..............

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512976 by TheZster Re: this thread... you can lead a horse to water..............

Z

Lead the horse to the salt lick first.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Aaaaarg - just figured it out!!! Look at the thread title.... the window is fine..... It's his "widow" that've giving him problems.... smiling bouncing smileydrinking smiley

If the widow is to high - now we're into a seat mechanism function.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 01:30 PM by TheZster.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512986 by TheZster Aaaaarg - just figured it out!!! Look at the thread title.... the window is fine..... It's his "widow" that've giving him problems.... smiling bouncing smileydrinking smiley

If the widow is to high - now we're into a seat mechanism function.....

And Taxidermy.

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Morgan Hill, CA, USA   USA
Damn spell check! It should know what I am thinking!

If I spend anymore money on the car my wife will most likely want to make herself a widow!

Geoff

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512994 by 70tbolt Damn spell check! It should know what I am thinking!

If I spend anymore money on the car my wife will most likely want to make herself a widow!

Geoff

Begs the question, "Can a widow get too high?"

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Sorry to beat this to death but........

I finally found the bolt that matches the bolt used on the driver side that stops the window by hitting the tab that hangs down by the top of the rail, Note the metal to metal wear spot where this one was hitting the tab.

Geoff

Attachments:
IMG_0961.JPG    15.9 KB
IMG_0961.JPG

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
It's wrong... but if it works... superb

Z

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Hey Geoff, you are headed up the right alley. I went out to the shop today and popped on of my spare doors up onto the bench and did a new review of the innards and all the clips, bushes, bolts, guides, etc. I know it all works correctly as I can roll the window without the crank handle in place - very well balanced and clean, inside.
I took a dozen or so photos and as soon as I can get them all titled and some labels on them I will post them here in the thread.

The short version is that the stop bolt you pictured just above here is correct. There is one on both ends. It does do a solid mechanical stop of the glass. However, even with that bolt out the nylon guides do a reasonable job by themselves to stop the upper nylon pieces from extending up past the metal in the front, and allows a slight protuberance (means it sticks up a bit) of the nylon at the rear.

Standby for photos.......... (the next job will be playing with the guide adjustments to see what I can make happen.)

Dan

Attachments:
Spitfire window mech 01.jpg    38.3 KB
Spitfire window mech 01.jpg

Spitfire window mech 03.jpg    26.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Spitfire window mech 04.jpg    33.7 KB
Spitfire window mech 06.jpg    45.4 KB
Spitfire window mech 09.jpg    19.9 KB
Spitfire window mech 11.jpg    34.4 KB
Spitfire window mech 14.jpg    41.5 KB
Spitfire window mech 15.jpg    41.3 KB
70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks Dan! Great photos this really helps! And thanks for confirming the bolt stop. Really appreciate all your effort!

Geoff

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
How bout that!!

Learned something new today.....

I was wrong... Congrats..

Z

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
It's alright Z, I almost forgot about those bolts too until Geoff mentioned them.

Dan

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
I just added a half inch to my bolts.... to make them hit those stops..... PITA.....

Thanks Geoff - for bringing it to Dan's attention for review...... I trust Dan explicitly for renovation work.... But he and I both missed those bolt stops when I was doing my windows..... All's good!!

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Interestingly enough.... the spacer nylons in Dan's photos (which I believe are a much earlier model) - do not coincide with my nylon spacers at all.... (Dan's are 69??).... My 78 spit uses a single spacer on the outboard side.... and the triangular (kindasorta) piece has a "node" that fills the rest of the window channel on the inboard side....

Z

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Mine is a 75 and looks exactly like Dan's. Here is another picture of my top window guide. Does yours look like this? Both sides are tapered and would stick up so far as to dislodge the weatherstripping.

Geoff

Attachments:
IMG_0956.JPG    9.2 KB
IMG_0956.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links