TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Driving the mainshaft bearing into the gearbox case.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jhdubois Jeremy DuBois
Hudson, MA, USA   USA
I'm currently rebuilding a three-rail gearbox for a GT6 MkIII I'm restoring, and I'm about at the point I can put it all back together after replacing about half the parts in it. Reverse was mostly obliterated, and the syncro teeth on 2nd and 3rd were worn badly from running a while on used up rings, and of course the one thrust washer that's hard to find was in four pieces.

Anyway, I'm contemplating getting this all back in the case and I'm not quite sure how to get the mainshaft and its bearing back in place without the factory tool that mimics the input shaft to hold the mainshaft centered and at the correct depth while you drive the bearing into the case. I see there's a guy currently on eBay selling the correct Churchill tool for $150, and I'll bite the bullet and buy it if I have to, but just wondering if anybody else had any clever method to do it without the tool? I could probably fabricated something, but that might be more trouble than $150 is worth. I could just insert the input shaft first, but I don't really want to be banging on the little roller bearing that fits between the input shaft and the mainshaft.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
You can use a drift or a socket handle to line it up before you clamp it down.

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Here is what I use.

Dennis smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TransTools 002.jpg    29.8 KB
TransTools 002.jpg

jhdubois Jeremy DuBois
Hudson, MA, USA   USA
Clever, thanks guys!

jhdubois Jeremy DuBois
Hudson, MA, USA   USA
For the curious, this is what I came up with. Should get the job done!

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Jeremy, Check my Journal on that, mine was simple enough and makes it easy.
On the synchro's , check what you had and what you got as replacements. The GT6 is a little wider than the standard Spitfire.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

jhdubois Jeremy DuBois
Hudson, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513117 by trrdster The GT6 is a little wider than the standard Spitfire.

Hmm, the new synchro rings I bought were part #150328, which is the part specified in both the GT6 Mk3 and the Spitfire IV/1500 factory parts manuals. They match the old ones that were in the gearbox.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
OK, that's good, the early 3 rail had a little different one.
Hope you got it all together by now.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

jhdubois Jeremy DuBois
Hudson, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1513209 by trrdster OK, that's good, the early 3 rail had a little different one.

Just to be confusing, I suppose winking smiley

In reply to a post by trrdster Hope you got it all together by now.

Waiting for my new 2nd and 3rd gears to arrive, then I can measure end float and adjust thrust washers, and finally get it all back together. No rush though, the body is still waiting to go to the media blasting shop and then off to the body shop. I won't actually need the gearbox back together for a long while yet. Just figured I'd get it out of the way and onto the completed list. Thanks for the help!

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
I understand that, Doug and I are waiting to paint with warmer weather.
I got a 3 tier old bread rack and filled it up, heavy stuff on the bottom. Wasn't big enough. LOL
Nice to get the running gear on the frame.
Have fun.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links