Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ColdNorthTriumph Avatar
ColdNorthTriumph Mackenzie S
King City, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi everybody, fairly new member to the forum but figured I'd stop lurking and actually ask a question. I know theres been dozens of threads about possible replacement to the stock seats in the spitfires, so here goes again! I did a quick search and couldn't find a mention of anything on this forum but I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or recommendations or other insight. My seats need either a full recovering/re-foaming or need to be swapped out for replacements. The car had been sitting in a garage for close to 15 years and so the houndstooth and foam has basically deteriorated. I've looked at Miata seats (and spent a fair bit of time trying to track down a pair) but can't seem to find anything available around me. Guess thats the perks to living in Canada. So heres my question, what about BMW Z3 seats? I haven't done any measurements yet but around me they seem to be more commonly available, so it was just a though that crossed my mind as they were about the same size as Miatas.
Any input or opinions are welcome.

Let me know what you think,
Mackenzie

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I went with the Miata but recommend redoing the originals with modern foam.

The best description of the crumbling original foam I've read here is it looks like fruitcake vomit.

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
If you have solid frames on the originals, refurbish them. Miata seats look stupid in Triumphs. I've seen them in Spitfires and TR6s and they just ruin the look of the cars. If you had no other choice that would be one thing but if you have good frames just fix those.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
BTW: If your frames need a few welds take them to a muffler shop. Those guys'll fix you up for the cost of a steak dinner.

stage3 Avatar
stage3 Christian P
Saarbr├╝cken, Saarland, Germany   DEU
Z3 seats are awfully heavy! They are not a good choice for your Spitfire. Re-furbing your old seats is be a better idea, I think.

Rocdds Bob Caseldine
Mesa, AZ, USA   USA
I was able to find well maintained Miata seats on eBay. $300 for the pair, which included shipping. Needed to modify the Spit frames, but no big deal. As far as looks, I'll leave that to the eye of the beholder.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Bob,

I would like to behold them, if you have pictures.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster