Turned aluminium dash?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512383 by Hot Spit Just a tip, in order to do a perfect job you will need to some how be able to index the part in exact increments. That way the spots will overlap uniformly. I can't picture that being done on a drill press without some kind of fixture. Impossible to do by hand.

Yup! I use a mark on the part and a 4' "yard stick". The big trick is holding the part on the small drill press table.
Attached photo was done on a drill press using a 2" scotchbrite pad on a rol-loc arbor. Dashboard would be done with a smaller diameter tool.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2938.JPG    47.2 KB
IMG_2938.JPG

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
1989 Toyota MR2 "Coral"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
Looks awesome. I'd love to do it properly with a real bit of SS or aluminium. Unfortunately I have limited funds, limited space, limited tools and limited skill. Bought some turned aluminium vinyl. It's quite thick and looks good. Will apply when I get the time to take the dashboard apart.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1b AW11 1600 twin cam
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

Hot Spit Avatar
Hot Spit Mike Stefanakis
Wethersfield, CT, USA   USA
I found this for engine turning. Note that he has a small panel on a Bridgeport milling machine where he can index the table to within .001". Also available is engine turned stock. Check it out.

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/content/engine-turning-dash-panels-etc-jim-clark-hot-rod-md#.Wn4rSqiKS2w

http://www.fpmmetals.com/automotive/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, BC, Canada   CAN
I found that with a random orbital sander and not too course a grit you can get some interesting regular patterns. This is the application I used on my 1/8" thick sheet alum, dash panel I made up. Unfortunately the photos attached do not show the swirl pattern that was achieved.

Regards, Paul

Attachments:
Full view Dash.JPG    60 KB
Full view Dash.JPG

Short shifter & old knob.JPG    49.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph TR250

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links