Vinyl Grain Forensics

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zerozeroniner Avatar
NC, USA   USA
If your really into "original" read on, if not, proceed at your own peril.

If one goes on to the Park Lane website, one can choose between two types of vinyl grain, see enclosed pictures from said web site.
The difference between coarse and fine is clear.

I started to look at the vinyl bits in my 72 GT6. I ordered a new Dash Pad (not the cap, but the foam one). They are all from the same manufacturer and claim correct vinyl grain.
That grain corresponds to whet looks to be the same grain on my original dash pad.
But, here in lies the mystery, the vinyl covering the other bits in the car like the radio tower, arm rest, etc., (again, it's all original and never replaced) is "small grain".

So, if I were to recreate the "original" condition of the car, as it came off the assembly line, I would have to mix fine and course grain. As much as I am obsessed with "original" I am rather partial at having a homogenous grain experience.

Decisions, decisions..what would a concourse judge say? :-)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
ASF.jpg    11 KB
ASF.jpg

ACG.jpg    8.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
What you are seeing is, what was available on the day of manufacture.

'S all for now
Vic

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I thought it was required that we use "biscuit".

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512038 by carChips What you are seeing is, what was available on the day of manufacture.

That would explain "Bison" on a 77.

zerozeroniner Avatar
NC, USA   USA
Too true! So, Original would mean that we recreate the vagaries of what was available in the bins whilst the car was being put together!
Well, that solves that dilemma for me, original is original, even if it is haphazard or randomsmileys with beer

In some way, I do believe all this is part of the fun that we have with our LBC's.

When I'm done this one, the next will be a complete restomod, beholding only to my tastes and whims, originality be damned.
I wonder which one will prove to be more fun, getting it "right" or making it "right".

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
The mid-70s Spitfire is like the VW bug in that it begs to be customized.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
A concourse judge would say "You brought a WHAT to be judged?!"

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
I believe the switch over year was 1975 or 1976. My car is a 76 but it has course grain rather than fine grain. Not 100% sure on this, but I think fine grain started to appear in 76. At least this is what one parts manual showed.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
If you talk to any of the BL workers that were on the production line during the early 70's you will learn that our cars were assembled (often) from what was available!

Forget the idea of matching #'s and " it is a 75, so this is wrong"

At times parts were pulled from the parts stores just to keep production going in an era of industrial un-rest.

Some stories are scary/funny as to what they put together.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I wondered why one of the factory installed inner quarter panels has a snip that actually extends into where it can be seen.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links