Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim72gt6 Avatar
Jim72gt6 Jim B
Cumberland, MD, USA   USA
I'm finally getting to the interior, after fixing the drive train, brakes and carbs. I didn't pay attention to the differences in my two seats, but the passenger seat (brown) is obviously not the same as the driver side (black), as shown in the attached picture. I should have been alerted since they had different covering. I found an ad on ebay ad for gt6 seatsthat shows seats similar to the passenger I have. These don't have the basket that I thought both driver and passenger normally have. I've bought foam and covers from TRF, and I expect they will work for the dirver seat, but what about the passenger seat?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
WP_20170908_13_54_03_Pro.jpg    62.4 KB
WP_20170908_13_54_03_Pro.jpg

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
According to the parts books they made a change is seat bottom styles (and maybe other parts too) at Commission # KE20000. The basket type was at that number and earlier. The other seat looks to be a KE20001 and later. Look up the info on Canley Classics, there show the various changes.
You might check with TRF and see if there was a difference in the actual cover pieces between the two , I am thinking they are actually the same - but be sure, call them.
Dan

macspit Avatar
macspit Malcolm M.
ictoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1969 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Plum"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Nothing Yet"
1976 Triumph 1500 "The Pickle"
1994 Mini Mayfair "The Min"
The brown one is GT6+ and is different and much harder to re-cover. I don't think the later kit will fit properly. If you can find a passenger seat like the black one, that would be the easiest way to go. The brown seat has a separate head rest cover and side bolster covers, the back panel is also separate. I have done the GT6+ seats and it isn't a walk in the park! The original molded foams are built up from layers of flat foam. The black seat looks like the ones in my '70 Spit MK III so maybe you can substitute one of those.
The instructions from the manufacturer - Newton Commercial I believe - start off by saying the GT6+ are one of the most difficult seats to re-cover. Not the best way to start a project!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim72gt6 Avatar
Jim72gt6 Jim B
Cumberland, MD, USA   USA
Darn... I thought I was past the difficult phases of this restoration when I replaced the rotoflex couplings, rebuilt the carbs, and the brakes.
The best option is to get a passenger seat matching the 72 MKIII. Haven't seen any available. Maybe I could scratch build one, perhaps using a 1980 spit frame and adding the highback.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links