Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wedgewood Blue Mk2 Avatar
Wedgewood Blue Mk2 Paul Van Noord
CONCORD, CA, USA   USA
This tag is fastened to the bulkhead on my 1965 Mk2 adjacent to the master cylinders. I haven't seen it on other spitfires.
Any ideas about why it's there?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4329.jpg    18.3 KB
IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg    26.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Some report it's a dealer-added tag required in some states to identify cars that were sold as a later model year than what the car was built as. I don't know if that's true or internet legend...

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

jplatel1 jacob P
Albany, NY, USA   USA
1964 Triumph TR4 ~ For Sale ! ~
1968 Triumph TR250
I have an identical tag on my tr4. I've been curious about it's origin as well

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511547 by grubscrew Some report it's a dealer-added tag required in some states to identify cars that were sold as a later model year than what the car was built as. I don't know if that's true or internet legend...
Yep; that's pretty much all it is!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Based on the expert info, that suggests your car is actually a 64 "model" year and not really a 65. The Comm# should tell you more.

Dan

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
It means that the dealer has declared the vehicle to be a 65 model. This tag was mandated back before Triumphs were required to manufacture vehicles to a specific "Model Year", because at the time they stated that a car's model was the year it was built. This caused US dealers a lot of problems because customers were used to the new models coming out in the fall of the preceding year and they didn't want the dealer trying to pass pff last year's model as the latest one.

With the delay caused by shipping from the UK to the US adding to that problem, dealers (particularly West Coast ones) came up with that plate to overcome the issue. If you want to know what year your car was made, send me the commission number and I will let you know.

Joe

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
FC51597L- Built in 1964 and sold as a 1965. Non-overdrive.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Since according to the BMIHT the first car made in 1965 was 51782, your car was made toward the end of 1964 making it according to Triumph a 1964 model.

Joe

In reply to # 1511605 by grubscrew FC51597L- Built in 1964 and sold as a 1965. Non-overdrive.

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
I found this thread interesting and, more important, informative. Apparently, no such requirement existed in South Carolina in 1965.

I purchased my Mk I out of an Ohio pasture about 13 years ago. Listed on cars.com as a 1965 Spitfire, I knew it was a Spitfire4 from the badge on the rear and all of the numbers (chassis, engine, frame) confirmed it was one of the last of the soon-to-be-labeled "Mk I" spitfires built. However, it's "crime" was that it was sold by a dealer in Charleston, SC, in March of 1965, and, under the "custom" of the day, was declared to be a 1965 model. That, of course, is how its identity remained over the years, as title passed from one owner to the next and registrations were paid for. After I purchased the car and took it down to its last bolt and rebuilt it, I pleaded with my then home-state of New Jersey to properly recognize the car as a 1964 model: I did not want anyone that might buy the car in the future coming back to me suggesting that I was selling a Mk I under the guise of a 1965 model that would be Mk II. I have this thing about being accused of fraud, you know?

New Jersey rejected my entreaties outright. After all, it was easier for the career clerk to tell me that "my title said the car was a 1965. and therefore..." than to process the paperwork necessary to correct a 40-year clerical error!

Then I moved to Maine. In Maine, if your car is more than 15 years old, you tear up the title (Yes, I agree this does have its drawbacks). Old cars in Maine are sold with a Bill of Sale. So when I registered the Spitfire, I told the clerk, in two-part harmony, all about Spitfires Mk I and Mk II and the difference in model years, and he, in great sympathy, allowed me to register my Spitfire as a 1964. So, no, I do not have a "clean" title when I do sell the car, but I do have a four-lane paved paper-trail.

Don't ask me about my 1965 Ford Custom...

Wedgewood Blue Mk2 Avatar
Wedgewood Blue Mk2 Paul Van Noord
CONCORD, CA, USA   USA
This forum is amazing and thanks to all who responded.
The explanation makes a lot of sense.

1964 was a very good year!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links