Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Convertible Top

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Convertible Top
  This topic is about my 1962 Triumph Spitfire 4 (MkI)
cowskey Stan WO
Oneonta, NY, USA   USA
When I bought the 62 Spitfire, it came with a new top no mounting hardware. Is there a tutorial on preparing the top for installation?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
Here's my report on doing this job three years ago. It's not difficult, but it does require time, stretching and patience.
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1288226
And these two step by steps:
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/67t_ragtop.htm
http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/uk/installation-guidance/triumph-spitfire-carhoods-1967-1980.pdf
I found the latter to be most helpful.
Good luck!
Robin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 04:20 PM by N5329K.

GottaSpit Avatar
GottaSpit Duncan A
Folsom, CA, USA   USA
The Mark 1 and Mark 2 have a different top configuration than the Mark 3 and later.

Check this thread...

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,834881

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1511433 by cowskey When I bought the 62 Spitfire, it came with a new top no mounting hardware. Is there a tutorial on preparing the top for installation?
Stan,
If you only have the fabric for the top you will need the stiffeners for the front edge, the rear hold-down bar, some snaps, and the wire loops that hook to the top of the windshield posts behind the window seal. There are special rivets to attach the loops to the top. Parts 24, 25, and 26 here https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mki/ii-body-mouldings-tonneau-cover-details-and-hood-assembly are the loop and rivets. I've done some searching and can't find the stiffeners or rear hold-down bar.
The stiffeners are thin strips of stainless that are curved to match the curve of the windshield capping and slide into the fabric at the front to form a tongue that goes into the slot between the capping and the windshield gasket. The rear hold-down bar is similar, but made of thicker mild steel and hooks on the chrome hooks at the back of the cockpit.
Other than those the snaps are the only things to be attached. Putting some chalk on the male studs for them and pulling the top down to the right position will give a chalk mark to guide you on their locations. Some new tops are marked with a center line at both the front and rear which helps get the top on straight when installing the snaps.
Good luck,
Paul

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
Stan, The convertible top stiffeners are listed in The Roadster Factory's Spitfire Glove Box Companion 1962-1980 (part # RFK 813). You'll have to check with TRF to see if it is still available. What brand of top did you purchase? The rear hold-down bar is unique to Spitfire4 (Mk1 & 2) and is NLA. Another member, in similar circumstances, found one through the "Buy, Sell & Trade" Forum. Try there if you don't have the old one from your car.

In case you are unaware of this, the convertible top is stored behind the cockpit's rear trim board (held in place by 2 snaps at the bottom and two Dzus fasteners at the top). The old top may still be there along with the old parts you need. Best of luck.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 08:06 AM by gfe05111952.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511433 by cowskey When I bought the 62 Spitfire, it came with a new top no mounting hardware. Is there a tutorial on preparing the top for installation?
The bar is hidden from view in the boot . If it is there pull it out , mount it to the car and pull the forward bar forward . Next take the soft top and attach it at the top of the windshield , it has an edge that fits into a groove . Then stretch it back to the snaps just behind the passenger compartment , snap it onto the snaps . I enjoy putting the top on and off of an early spitfire .

cowskey Stan WO
Oneonta, NY, USA   USA
Paul, what I really need are the B post caps for an early Spit4

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Stan,
ISTR you have a very early car. Does the stainless steel trim on the rear fender reach all the way to the door opening? Or does it stop around an inch back from the door opening? In the first case I don't know if you will find any unless you stumble upon someone breaking an equally early car. In the second case I have a set that is in rough shape that I'm willing to part with. The surface anodizing has gone dull and they are also scratched, bent, and dented. If these are of any use to you, PM me and we can work out getting them to you.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph TR250

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links