TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Replacing wheel studs, thread size question.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug and all, the lugs are priced all over the place. How can some place ask $22 for the same thing Autozone wants $2.69.
I did find a different lug nut for $7.99 for 4 at Autozone. Not that price was a big issue, as around $60 was going to be the end results. Rockauto was OK, but after shipping, back to original price.
I'm going to check the quality of the 4 in a bag deal, The number on that one is 711-401.
They also had the best price on the studs.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 05:51 PM by trrdster.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
delete

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 05:52 PM by trrdster.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Replacing with stock ones can add up but at least they haven't been over-torqued.

Would like to keep the stock look since the wheels are in good shape.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Quote: So applying 50 ft-lb will yield about 3,000 lb with the vise, and about 7,000 lb with the stud, more than double.

Oooo. That math would have been nice to know. I guess , in my defense, I didn't have any lug nuts to go with the studs, yet. Other , modern , cars we had around were acorn nut style and I didn't know what the spec for the Honda mini van is.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511888 by JohnW63
Quote: So applying 50 ft-lb will yield about 3,000 lb with the vise, and about 7,000 lb with the stud, more than double.

Oooo. That math would have been nice to know. I guess , in my defense, I didn't have any lug nuts to go with the studs, yet. Other , modern , cars we had around were acorn nut style and I didn't know what the spec for the Honda mini van is.

Not criticizing you John, in the moment, we do what we must to get the job done, and you got the job done.
But one way we can give back is to spread the lessons we've learned out to our community by repeating them.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Carter,

I'm all for working smarter. Had I known the math, I would have gotten at least ONE lug nut and used a big wrench or impact wrench. Mentally, it just didn't occur to me that a lug nut would pull harder than a big bench vice would squeeze. Nice to know. I haven't done the front hubs yet. We had to make sure the ones we had cleaned up were the proper ones for the car.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Just as an update...

I had to remove the studs from our previous hubs, that turned out to NOT be for a GT6 and put studs in the rear and front hubs. I bought a proper lugnut and washers and all it took was some good taps with a hammer to get them started and a good sized socket wrench and they went in pretty well. No long pipes on the bench vice handle required.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links