TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

2 holes behind seats to the left/right of the tunnel?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Morgan Hill, CA, USA   USA
Can anyone tell me what these holes are for? There are 2 more on the opposite side.

Thank!
Geoff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Holes behind seats.JPG    18.7 KB
Holes behind seats.JPG

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Geoff, I'll take a shot at it.
Someone has removed the bolts that hold the bracket for the radius arms. Even though the GT6 was last produced in 1973, Triumph didn't change the body molds for that panel. Still there on the 1980's ones.
GT6 roto flex.used one side and the Spitfire the other on each side..
Fix it by putting a couple of bolts in there, fine thread 7/16, I think.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Do you have radius rods? They're a big part of the rear suspension.

In reply to # 1511064 by trrdster Geoff, I'll take a shot at it.
Someone has removed the bolts that hold the bracket for the radius arms. Even though the GT6 was last produced in 1973, Triumph didn't change the body molds for that panel. Still there on the 1980's ones.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks, that makes sense. Will use rubber plugs.

Geoff

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
No. I think what happened is that the previous owner who started the restoration left the holes exposed when he installed the insulation. Probably forgot that they were not going to be used. Car has the standard 1975 set up.

Geoff

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You might want to look at this page, https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005748 In particular item # 155930R and their associated hardware.

They are important bits of the suspension.

'S all for now
Vic

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
The radius arms are there but are bolted to the left & right of the holes in question. I can't see anything under the car that would use those holes.

Geoff

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
I just found this picture the previous owner sent me when the car was being stripped. To the left you can see where the radius arm is bolted and the holes in question have bolts in them.

Geoff

Attachments:
thumbnail.jpg    48.9 KB
thumbnail.jpg

planebow Robert Howard
Kalispell, MT, USA   USA
Those holes in my 71 has rubber plugs in them.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This shows it from the rear, suspension side, the holes just below the e-brake cable. This is a 69 body but they all have them in the same place. At least all of mine do.
other side I the same. On my other 69 these had rubber plugs in them. This car did not so they were probably pulled by a PO at some point.

Dan

Attachments:
69 floor pan 7.JPG    48.8 KB
69 floor pan 7.JPG

Auldman Andrew Kelsey
Ramsey, Isle of Man, UK   GBR
I agree- be reassured, they are certainly nothing to do with any part of the suspension.
Originally, they will have simply had rubber bungs in them.

As to their function? - I do not know.

This is just a guess, but I think It is possible that once the car had left the production line, they had no function ar all.

Various holes in such places as the boot/trunk floor and the holes in the inner sills/ rocker panels were more to do with giving access during assembly-for the arms of spot-welding machine for example.Those on the exterior were then sealed off with rubber bungs.

These particular holes are too small for that, but perhaps they were to secure that body part during assembly possibly in a jig.

Someone, somewhere will know...

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA

Geoff,
Wayne has the right idea. That panel was designed to accommodate both the Spitfire suspension and the Rotoflex GT6 set-up. The trailing arm bracket for Rotoflex has to be mounted closer to the center of the car to make the geometry work. When the panel is used on a Spitfire, the Rotoflex holes are plugged. When used on a Rotoflex GT6, the Spitfire holes would have been plugged instead.
Cars built before the Rotoflex GT6 was introduced don't have those extra holes.
All the best,
Paul

Auldman Andrew Kelsey
Ramsey, Isle of Man, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1511358 by spitfire50

Geoff,
Wayne has the right idea. That panel was designed to accommodate both the Spitfire suspension and the Rotoflex GT6 set-up. The trailing arm bracket for Rotoflex has to be mounted closer to the center of the car to make the geometry work. When the panel is used on a Spitfire, the Rotoflex holes are plugged. When used on a Rotoflex GT6, the Spitfire holes would have been plugged instead.
Cars built before the Rotoflex GT6 was introduced don't have those extra holes.
All the best,
Paul

I am sure you’re right! - your explanation makes perfect sense to me now.

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, IL, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
Spit radius arms used the holes closer to the outside of the body - Gt6's with roto-flex used the inner set - on a Spit you can used the inner ones but WILL NEED to get longer radius arms (have them made with heim joints also) and the toe change over travel will be reduced (out of Spit Comp Prep Book - will also need the additional bracket inside tub to reinforce the area ( works well and my Spit and Herald will both get this mod)

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Didn't we beat that subject to death on Facebook? smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links