AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hi All,

Well today I drove my GT6 to the office and had a great drive to and from work.
On the way home from the office I stopped and filled the gas tank at the local Chevron Gas station and I also stopped at one of the local car dealers were my wife’s car was being serviced and were the problem reared it’s head.
Yes the modern cars that I own go to the dealer to be serviced as they are just to complicated for me to work on with all the electronics and other stuff.
Ok back to my GT6 and the issue with the fuel pump when getting ready to leave the dealership.
I went to start my GT6 and it just would not start so I opened the bonnet to check and see why it would crank and try to start but would not fire up.
This drew a crowd as everyone in the dealership wanted to see the car now that the bonnet was open and this old guy was messing with it in their lot.
The first thing I checked was the clear glass gas filter to see if it was clogged as I had just purchased fuel. I could see that it was empty and was now puzzled.
Decided to try the manual fuel pump lever on the fuel pump to see if it would pull the fuel up the line and into the fuel filter which it did but once I stopped operating the pump lever the fuel retreated out of the fuel filter and back to the tank which still has me baffled.
I then decided to pump the manual pump lever till the fuel filter was full and then tried to start the car which it did but would barely keep the fuel filter full and barely let me drive the car to my home.
Now I am at a point that I have no idea as to why as soon as I shut off the car the fuel retreats back to the fuel tank.
My thoughts are the fuel pump has a bad diagram and is letting the vacume the fuel pump creates leak away.
I have made sure the fuel tank vent is not plugged and venting to the atmosphere as it should.
Any input and suggestions are more than welcome as I am stumped and do not realy want to just throw parts at it to fix the problem.
One other question, is the mechanical fuel pump for a TR6 of the same year compatable as I do have one on the shelf that I could install.
cool smiley

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.
1971 Triumph GT6 (A work always in progress.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Martin,
There are check valves inside the pump to prevent reverse flow. They are not working. A good cleaning may fix this.
All the best,
Paul

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Martin, If you take the pump off the GT6 and compare the leaver length of the one on the TR6 you are good to go.
Now, if those parts are different then you can change the leaver, not as easy as it sounds. The pump will need to be taken completely apart.
If you go that route, give me a PM with your phone number and I will talk you through it, if you need help of course, the hardest part is getting the diaphragm leaver in the fork. Sounds simple enough, but a little tricky.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
There are two valves within the pump that are supposed to only let the fuel flow one way.

That said, I assume you put the filter BEFORE the pump to prevent particles from getting into the valves allowing the fuel to back flow.

Another problem is those clear filters are famed for leaking.

First thing to do is make sure the center tube is tight. (I'll make sense when you take it apart) A mini screwdriver through the side hole to act as a handle and firmly screw the center tube into the housing. The glass part is squished between two rubber flats. If that center tube is loose you will have issues.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Paul.
There are check valves inside the pump to prevent reverse flow. They are not working. A good cleaning may fix this.
All the best,
Paul

Thanks Wayne.
Martin, If you take the pump off the GT6 and compare the leaver length of the one on the TR6 you are good to go.
Now, if those parts are different then you can change the leaver, not as easy as it sounds. The pump will need to be taken completely apart.
If you go that route, give me a PM with your phone number and I will talk you through it, if you need help of course, the hardest part is getting the diaphragm leaver in the fork. Sounds simple enough, but a little tricky.

Thanks Doug.
There are two valves within the pump that are supposed to only let the fuel flow one way.

That said, I assume you put the filter BEFORE the pump to prevent particles from getting into the valves allowing the fuel to back flow.

Another problem is those clear filters are famed for leaking.

First thing to do is make sure the center tube is tight. (I'll make sense when you take it apart) A mini screwdriver through the side hole to act as a handle and firmly screw the center tube into the housing. The glass part is squished between two rubber flats. If that center tube is loose you will have issues.

cool smiley

I will post what I find tomorrow as I plan to work on it and will check the fuel filter 1st then check the pump and yes the fuel filter is before the pump....cool smiley.....

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
Hi All,

Well I spent the afternoon replacing the fuel pump that was on my car with the spare fuel pump that is for a TR6.
The fuel pump that I used was a new spare from Moss Motors part number 377-061 and it fits correctly and the pump lever is the same size as my original that was on my 71 GT6 so I installed it and everything is working fine now.

I decided to take the old one apart to see what was wrong and found what looks like paint flakes or shalack flakes inside the pump housing under the screen filter that is below the dome top of the pump. I cleaned it out by taking the pump apart and flushing the entire pump and cleaned it so everything is nice and shiny inside and out and reassembled it and it now works fine so I am thinking that it must have been old dried up fuel from when the car was originally stored and that my rebuild and cleaning and using the car caused the shalack from the old fuel to come loose and cause the problem. Thinking back I never did take the fuel pump apart and clean the inside when I restored the car three years ago as it worked on the bench and pumped fuel so I can say that the fuel issue is my fault.....

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Blame modern fuels.

Everyone else does. smileys with beer

MHKflyer52 Avatar
MHKflyer52 Martin Keller
Ventura, CA, USA   USA
No I blame myself for not cleaning the original fuel pump when I rebuilt my car.

Martin Keller
Ventura, CA.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links