Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to spend the time and money to get these cast in the US. Look at the time it would take just in labor and then it is pretty likely that there would be some machining to do on critical dimensions. Take that part to a foundry that's even willing to do a small run of them and the cost will exceed the cost of a whole new door handle.

On the test example I show above, it took slightly less than 20 minutes to print the main part, then took me close to an hour to machine the brass end. It's not an easy part to hold.

Machining one would be the way to go but as another machinist said previously, it wouldn't make sense financially. No one would buy them. It's another one of those "do it for the challenge" projects. This part is destined to be left behind in the Triumph history books. Our regular sources evidently have no interest in bringing this part back. Good reason for that-- no demand and high investment cost be my guess.

Probably a good part for Taiwan but not here in the US. Look at parts the TRF has made over there, he talks about having batches of hundreds made in order to get a decent price break.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
74Spit Avatar
74Spit Rick Ladd
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
A few years ago I had to replace the pushrods. The hole in the tip is the weakest part. If I had to do it over again I would simply send the plastic pushrods out to be 3-D printed in a harder material. Printing services are more available now and this should be an easy project.

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
If it was my LBC I probably would make it, but wouldn't be profitable

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
C'mon Ron, do it for the challenge. I don't have one in my car either but I may be doing a full brass one in the near future just because..........

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
Here is an original left hand side plus a left and two rights I made from a cutting board crude but effective. They still want to break at the hole for the pin.

Attachments:
IMG_1934.jpg    28.2 KB
IMG_1934.jpg

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Still amazes me that these parts lasted as long as it did.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1512363 by Bpt70gt Still amazes me that these parts lasted as long as it did.

Well mine have been repaired for over 20 years, so it seems not all of them lasted very, very long.

As I stated earlier, my repair was made by a copper wire 'stitch' through the break. The very act of being able to add the stitch means the break area could have been made thicker and stronger in the first place!

I would still like to se this rod and it's action in the lock, if anyone has one.
(I have no inclination to remove my repaired lock to do this)

I feel that rather than produce this rod from Brass of 3D plastic, it could better (more economically) crafted from Aluminium sheet.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Tony, if I get the opportunity to make an accurate CAD drawing of this part, I could send a drawing to you so you can fashion one from aluminum sheet, (interesting approach) but I'm going to stay with brass for other reasons.

That little end part that I made in one of the above photos, the first one was from aluminum---when I ran a die to cut the threads (4-38) (Yes I know that's a real oddball thread) (couldn't find my 4-40 die), just running the die on, the aluminum stud twisted off in the die. Just too soft for my liking. I used T6061. The brass (360) one was no problem. Plus brass has more options for processing. Must be some Canadians that have problems with this little part. I don't have a car that has this part but it could be a nice experiment. You game?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Brian. A CAD drawing is fine, but I really want to se the part in situ to understand just what the critical areas are (for strength and tolerance)

If checking blocks where made, a friend suggested that these could be made in small batches in India.
If so, Brass would be the metal of choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 11:06 AM by Tonyfixit.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
That little peg (that denotes if the rod is LH or RH) I would like to add this after production. I hope the peg could be round, not square as original. If so, I would not thread it, but just Loctite in a steel dowl.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Agree, the tab will be added as the final operation. I hoping that I can get one on CAD. Interestingly, most the used door handle assemblies on ebay, are broken and asking high prices for broken parts, Makes no sense to me.
This part would make a nice project for Charles at TRF, he has Asian connections.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
How I would like to make it

Attachments:
IMG_20180209_101447.jpg    9.3 KB
IMG_20180209_101447.jpg

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Almost makes the price of a pair of new door handle assemblies a bit of a bargain. Not that I'm trying to take any busy work away from Briangrinning smiley.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's OK Jim, thumbs up I think in the long scheme of things, new door handles will probably be the only way to go. This is one of those projects that is a good challenge and one I can do while the weather is too cold for me to be working on my GT6 sanding body panels. I have no use for these actuators other than to keep me busy for a bit. Sometimes it's just the challenge. I do have plenty of other objects to make for my GT6 or TR250. I'm not sure there is much of a market for them at this point, probably would be if new door handles were not available still. I don't like to get into making quantities of "things" but once in awhile if it helps someone out then I would. I will be putting one on CAD (for sure now-) smiling bouncing smiley likely next week, I'll duplicate it in brass if at all possible. It's the challenge!!

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
I would have paid 20$ for one considering the time it took making one from a cutting board. Especially if it was metal.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph TR7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links