Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Here is an old topic but I got a question from a fellow forum member about 3D printing this part. The part in question is the door handle control rod in 71 and up Spits and GT's. Evidently this is part that is known to break after 40 years. I've looked at the part in pictures only and I could 3D print it but it still would be a plastic part and the way it would have to be oriented on the printer there is the possibility of layer separation after awhile. So strength would be an issue. However, as a machinist I don't see a big issue to make the part from brass. My 70 GT doesn't have this type handle so I haven't put my eyes on one in my hand. Is this a non-issue these days or should I put this on my list of projects to make a few of. I understand that there is a LH and RH that would need to be made. I'd draw it up on CAD and go from there. I've read that they break through the small hole and where shown in the picture I pulled from an old forum topic. Always looking to see what kind of mischief I can get into.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
GT6 mk3 door rod.jpg    9.6 KB
GT6 mk3 door rod.jpg

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
I've wondered why this part isn't available. You can buy replacement complete handle assy's, so SOMEONE is making this thing but it just isn't offered by itself. I wonder if whoever manufactures the complete assy couldn't be persuaded to sell a supplier a batch of these parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 03:17 PM by Greg1835.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
You'd think so but if companies like Rimmers and Moss and others can't get them then maybe the demand isn't there. The won't go through the hassle and then have parts sit on the shelf.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I think there might be a demand. Both of these broke on my car many years ago. My fix was to drill the broken corner and tie the break with copper wire. It has worked well. But it shows there is room for a little extra bulk in the material at that location.

Attachments:
IMG_20180201_084742.jpg    9.9 KB
IMG_20180201_084742.jpg

spaceguinness Avatar
spaceguinness Michael Nelsen
Austin, TX, USA   USA
I would be extremely interested in a pair of these as well. Rimmers used to sell an 'alloy' version of this several years ago, similar to the one pictured above. I wonder whatever happened to that supplier?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Sounds like a good thing to scope. (With improvements)

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
Maybe a CNC shop from 6061 aluminium.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Easy pour in brass.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a good sorce of 5052 sheet in various thicknesses, I think 'next time' I will hand cut from this.

A CNC machine would be great for a quantity run. There is a peg on one side of the device, this would be added after machining to make left or right units as required.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
Good project for a tech college machine shop course.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
CAD drawing of the actuator rod. Just based on a picture from the world wide web. Would need a real part to take dimensions from. I don't know if this is a RH or LH. My GT is earlier than this so doesn't use them. Maybe that was a good thing.

Attachments:
GT6 MK3 door actuator rod.jpg    11.3 KB
GT6 MK3 door actuator rod.jpg

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
I could actually make it on the conventional, but wouldn't be cost effective.

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
I had 3 of these break but luckily had enough scrap parts doors that I had replacements and found one from somebody on here. All 3 had broken on the other end where the small hole broke apart which made it impossible to make a suitable jimmy rig solution.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Joe, do you still have the broken ones? Here is the pair I've drawn up but would need to physically take dimensions to make the drawing accurate. I know I can make them but I'll do it from brass, the test will be how long it takes me to make one. Love the challenge and it's cold here up north and I need a good reason to heat up the workshop.

Attachments:
GT6 MK3 actuator rod pair.jpg    17.8 KB
GT6 MK3 actuator rod pair.jpg

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511041 by Bpt70gt Joe, do you still have the broken ones? Here is the pair I've drawn up but would need to physically take dimensions to make the drawing accurate. I know I can make them but I'll do it from brass, the test will be how long it takes me to make one. Love the challenge and it's cold here up north and I need a good reason to heat up the workshop.

I don't think so but I'll check my tool box when I get home today. The thing I remember noticing ( from an engineering point of view ) was that this part is under side ways stress in the way that it operates. it was a flawed design from the beginning.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster