AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Block
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Block will be rebored to 20over,machine shop measured it to 2.904
Anyone got a set of 20 over flat top pistons for a 1500 lying around?

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
BPNW??

'S all for now
Vic

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
Lots of places sell them. I think he is looking for a better price.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Maybe I've more $$ than brains.... quite possibly so..... but I've been through the "ramen noodles for a week" period in my life.... BUT.... for a few dollars more - get new!! Easier and cheaper in the long run..... You want used pistons - and are prepared to spend the time cleaning them up, clearing the ring grooves - hoping the rod pin will fit right? Not me... Example: want electronic ignition in my 78..... could have bought a kit to rebuild the old distributor.... but for $100 more - I get a brand new unit - no wobble, no shaft slop, yadda yadda yadda.... I'm all for saving a buck when appropriate - but anything I put inside my block better be "better than before".... cause the cost to do it the second time is more than the cost of doing it right the first time....

Z

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
I think .020 should be 2.922

Add .020 to 2.902.

Worth considering Carters plan of 76mm Suzuki pistons at 76mm, or 2.992.
eg http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/92-01-Suzuki-Vitara-X90-Sidekick-Tracker-1-6L-Pistons-Bearings-Rings-Set-G16KV/301116082917?hash=item461beacae5:g:580AAOxyrM5TGMzS

This plus a set of max speeding rods to suit exactly what you need would give a lightweight and much stronger rotating assembly.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H-Beam-Connecting-Rods-Rod-for-Triumph-Spitfire-1500-Late-1300-Conrods-ARP-Bolts/221938275535?epid=2155328707&hash=item33ac8d54cf:g:5wYAAOSwhcJWQvpH

The rods can be ordered in whatever length and configuration pin size and type that suits, for an extra charge.
http://www.maxspeedingrods.co.uk/custom_rods

Saves a lot of deck cutting.

Rods pistons and rings should not go much beyond $500

Now all you have to do is get the block wall thickness checked, to ensure sufficient meat to bore to suit 76mm pistons.

Appears to me to be a high quality, inexpensive solution

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509571 by claytoncnc I think .020 should be 2.922

Add .020 to 2.902.

Worth considering Carters plan of 76mm Suzuki pistons at 76mm, or 2.992.
eg http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/92-01-Suzuki-Vitara-X90-Sidekick-Tracker-1-6L-Pistons-Bearings-Rings-Set-G16KV/301116082917?hash=item461beacae5:g:580AAOxyrM5TGMzS

This plus a set of max speeding rods to suit exactly what you need would give a lightweight and much stronger rotating assembly.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H-Beam-Connecting-Rods-Rod-for-Triumph-Spitfire-1500-Late-1300-Conrods-ARP-Bolts/221938275535?epid=2155328707&hash=item33ac8d54cf:g:5wYAAOSwhcJWQvpH

The rods can be ordered in whatever length and configuration pin size and type that suits, for an extra charge.
http://www.maxspeedingrods.co.uk/custom_rods

Saves a lot of deck cutting.

Rods pistons and rings should not go much beyond $500

Now all you have to do is get the block wall thickness checked, to ensure sufficient meat to bore to suit 76mm pistons.

Appears to me to be a high quality, inexpensive solution

The Vitara pistons are available in 75 mm, 2.953", so only have to bore +53, not so likely to challenge the wall thickness as 76 mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75mm-D16-YCP-Vitara-TURBO-Pistons-NPR-Rings-TEFLON-COATED-Honda-Civic-CRX-JDM/352008640195?hash=item51f55996c3:g:ezQAAOSwH3hZ93yA&vxp=mtr

teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Also need to consider pin to top of piston dimension. Right?

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Custom rods minimum order quantity is 12 pieces.

Dennis smiling smiley

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1509611 by teeka56 Also need to consider pin to top of piston dimension. Right?

Yes, so true.
An unmolested Spitfire (and AFAIK, TR-6 and GT6) measure 8.75" from crank centerline to the top of the block.
We can do the math for when piston is at TDC.
Assume we want zero deck height, ie piston is flush with top of the deck at TDC.

1500 stroke is 3.44", so distance from crank centerline to crankpin centerline at TDC is 1/2 that, 1.72".
The Spitfire (and TR-6 and GT6) rod is 5.75" center to center.
Assume that the pin center to piston crown is 1.28"
8.75" - (1.72" + 5.75" + 1.28"winking smiley = 0.0"
Ta-dah! we have zero deck height with this setup.

The Vitara deck height is 1.115", let's plug it in and see

8.75" - (1.72" + 5.75" + 1.115"winking smiley = 0.165"

That is how much we must skim off the top of the block to get zero deck height.
Or, that is how much longer the connecting rod must be, 5.915" to get zero deck height.

Carter

Re: Block
65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Sorry Andy, I need to keep my pistons, the block was bored and honed to fit them. But you'll still be done before methumbs up

And be careful, or Carter will have you talked into a turbo before too much longer.

claytoncnc Avatar
In reply to # 1509619 by 14GPDJENGINEERING Custom rods minimum order quantity is 12 pieces.

did not see that

Thanks

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Andy - if you can, get a set of NOS Hepolite/AE flat top pistons, ref. 20139 +0.020" - they come up on eBay from time to time (especially in the UK). Failing that, the County brand pistons are widely available, and seem to be OK for a road car.

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1509642 by claytoncnc
In reply to # 1509619 by 14GPDJENGINEERING Custom rods minimum order quantity is 12 pieces.

did not see that

Thanks

That's only 3 sets, or 2 sets with spares.
Group buy anyone?

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
that's exactly what I was wondering..... i'm gonna rebuild sooner or later.... and am willing to (with more info) pitch in to buy 4 pistons and 4 rods.....

It's a scary proposition..... all relying on the guru Carter..... but heck - it's only $$ I just need to be able to ensure my block (untouched yet) can handle the boring.... decking - Pfffttt// no problem... but bore (I'm not familiar with the sleeving/clearances/etc.... BUT - I'd love to go lighter on the pistons/rods to let this little girl run smoother at higher RPM...

Post - or PM..... if anyone wants to take a shot and split 12 X 3...... If you need spares.... it was a bad idea from the start...... (think bulletproof)

Granted - nobody can commit until their down to the short block to ensure journal sizes, yadda yadda.... might be a long term and/or insurmountable problem

Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 04:00 PM by TheZster.

claytoncnc Avatar
In reply to # 1509750 by TheZster that's exactly what I was wondering..... i'm gonna rebuild sooner or later.... and am willing to (with more info) pitch in to buy 4 pistons and 4 rods.....

It's a scary proposition..... all relying on the guru Carter..... but heck - it's only $$ I just need to be able to ensure my block (untouched yet) can handle the boring.... decking - Pfffttt// no problem... but bore (I'm not familiar with the sleeving/clearances/etc.... BUT - I'd love to go lighter on the pistons/rods to let this little girl run smoother at higher RPM...

Post - or PM..... if anyone wants to take a shot and split 12 X 3...... If you need spares.... it was a bad idea from the start...... (think bulletproof)

Granted - nobody can commit until their down to the short block to ensure journal sizes, yadda yadda.... might be a long term and/or insurmountable problem

Z
Good plan

I need custom rods too, though unfortunately mine will be a shorter stroke/longer rod than is being proposed here, so I cannot participate.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links