Convertible top buttons on body...

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

agassi70 Aaron Graeb
Daphne, AL, USA   USA
I am trying to find the best way to attach the snaps/buttons to the body. I have tried pop rivets and the head doesn't seat all the way in the button and stays loose and doesn't pull the rivet all the way to mount tight. Is there a different way? My top comes in Monday and I would like to be ready. Thank you and I'm sorry if I missed a thread on here.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Roy Avatar
Roy roy o
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
I used a couple of washers as spacers to allow contact with pop rivet tool head

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
I used a spacer to go inside the snap socket ( can't remember where I got it from ), between the pop rivet and the gun. stacked washers or nuts would work too if you can find some small enough to go down into that spot. You do want the surface of your spacer to be as wide as the rivet top though or it will pull partially through it and weaken it ( and look ugly )

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
Unscrew the top off a spare spark plug and use it as the spacer in the rivet gun. It works.
Robin

MoneyPitSpit Avatar
MoneyPitSpit Ron (Smokey) Wasmuth
Beautiful, Sparkling, Lakeland, FL, USA   USA
1974 Triumph Spitfire "Midnight Blue"
1995 Chevrolet Camaro "Crystal Blue Persuasion"
I used 2 #8 lock washers as spacers between the rivet head and the rivet gun. Worked like a charm.

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
Great idea Robin !

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I found a tip adapter for my rivet gun for going down into spaces like snaps. before that I used small washers that just fit over the rivet pull wire and placed it on the wire then inserted into the gun. The correct adapter was the best answer.
Dan

CraigL Avatar
CraigL Gold Member Craig Larsen
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
I would also use a backing washer on the inside of the body to firmly seat the pop rivet.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Agree with others on slipping something over the shaft of the rivet before inserting it into the gun.

I found some short threaded brass spacers in my computer junk that worked.

Bobs78Spit Avatar
Bobs78Spit Silver Member Bob Berger
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
You have to be careful with slipping something over the shaft of the rivet. When the rivet gun pops the spacer can go flying and possibly ding your paint. I have a couple of marks on the tops of my doors from when I installed the snaps for the tonneau cover.

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
I just ran the rivet gun tip over the grinder, until it was small enough to fit in the snap. That worked well, and I didnt have to worry about keeping up with the spacers after the steam snapped off.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1507115 by Bobs78Spit You have to be careful with slipping something over the shaft of the rivet. When the rivet gun pops the spacer can go flying and possibly ding your paint. I have a couple of marks on the tops of my doors from when I installed the snaps for the tonneau cover.

I forgot the mention the little magnet tool attached to the tip or held there with the other hand. I discovered that need after the first try.
Dan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507169 by Yellowhawk Valley
In reply to # 1507115 by Bobs78Spit You have to be careful with slipping something over the shaft of the rivet. When the rivet gun pops the spacer can go flying and possibly ding your paint. I have a couple of marks on the tops of my doors from when I installed the snaps for the tonneau cover.

I forgot the mention the little magnet tool attached to the tip or held there with the other hand. I discovered that need after the first try.
Dan

I use a shop cloth.

jimgt6 Jim E
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507073 by N5329K Unscrew the top off a spare spark plug and use it as the spacer in the rivet gun. It works.
Robin

The sparkplug top is a great idea. You might have to use the mandrel from a longer rivet so the tool will grip.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links