Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ccren89 Avatar
ccren89 Colin Crenshaw
Keokuk, IA, USA   USA
I have just a rolling Sprite frame but I am eager to start my engine with just a battery. I was curious how to do this with the gear reduction starter with the solenoid. The original starter was much easier as I would just contact it with a positive lead from the battery and the car would turn over. ----I'm unsure of how to produce these same results via the gear reduction starter. Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Easy, just touch the + jumper cable to the starters terminal, the one where you would otherwise connect the cable that would come from your starter solenoid.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Colin,
There is a terminal for a small wire to pull in the solenoid. That one has to have power on it too. Using a jumper wire you can tap the jumper on the main positive wire to make the starter crank the engine. When the jumper isn't connected to power the starter won't turn.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
I would be deciding now how you want to start it in the end. The easiest, cleanest, and backwards compatible way to wire it is to keep the start relay on the bulkhead like always. If you decided thats how you want to do it, at this point, add a permanent jumper on your gear reduction starter - from the small terminal to the big one. Number 14 wire will be fine. Then you would connect the battery exactly like the original.

If you decide to use the solenoid on the starter as the primary, and run the wire from the key to it, use a temporary jumper now at the same location. You will remove the jumper when you add the wire from the key.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Do the aftermarket GR starters not come fitter with the bridge wire installed?

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1507090 by Tonyfixit Do the aftermarket GR starters not come fitter with the bridge wire installed?

Mine from bpnw didn't, just included the bits, but you have to install yourself https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com/2017/10/04/how-to-install-a-gear-reduction-starter-in-a-spitfire/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 06:27 PM by brucejon.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph TR7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links