TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

13" tires. The selction isn't so great. What did you put on your car ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507168 by Paul D Smith I stayed with 13" and went with economical brand Westlake 175/70 R13.
Have had them on for about a year. I don't do any real hard driving. I just like to cruise around and have been very pleased with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Westlake-RP18-Touring-Radial-Tire/dp/B00MZB4KP8

That Westlake tire has a UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Guide) rating of 500AA, which is really, really, really good.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I got off the phone with a shop that repairs and can fill and redrill wheels to a different size hole pattern or even change the number of lugs. For $25 a wheel, they can change a 4X100mm to the 3-3/4 spacing the GT6 needs. I'm thinking of going the middle ground, with 14" . It just gives more more tire choices down the road.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

tightapex Avatar
tightapex Greg Bailey
Gilroy, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Toy"
185/65-14 General Altimax tires on Minilite replicas, 14" x 5.5", 10mm offset. Lowered slightly without fender rubbing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 02:08 AM by tightapex.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
kQIkbVonTKm4+9lstFgLxg.jpg    73.9 KB
kQIkbVonTKm4+9lstFgLxg.jpg

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Hey John,

I also found a shop that would do it, with no guarantees of course. I think they were 40 bucks each.

Depending on the wheel I'd be leery. Not really sure how they will fill the holes and personally I don't think I'd ever elongate existing holes. If the wheel allows for offset drilling between the existing holes, perhaps. Sometimes the casting on the back has high and low spots that may prohibit that, or require machining the back flat. All of this machining does change the manufacturers design, which could compromise the strength, but I think if the wheel has the meat and if done smartly it shouldn't be a problem. Others will certainly disagree and I totally respect that.

All decent considerations, with some level of risk that it won't be perfectly true resulting in vibration. That written, most of the machine shops have pretty decent equipment, so should be fine.

Others may pipe up and mention hardening of the seating surface, or more practically some sort of steel inserts, which I think are likely the best way to go, but I've never done it.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

joppamoto Mark R
Crestwood, KY, USA   USA
I`m running Westlakes on 3 cars now (Spitfire, Focus, Mini). Very impressed at this point.

hearditallbefore Avatar
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK   GBR
155/70x13 Falkens here

Swatting the yellow jackets away from the Triumph apple of truth…

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
Wheels are available from Rimmer Bros in England. Twelve years ago a shop in NJ (where I then lived) fitted me with a set of Doral 175/70R13 tires that have served well for what I do with the car. While Doral seems to have discontinued this particular size, Tire Rack does have the size in other brands.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
If you google 175-70-13 you will see a wide selection of tires available from many vendors. Some well known brands, but many (to me at least) unknown.

I know the performance of tires can vary enormously, and what one person may 'want' from their tires might be different to the next guy. Some guys just want a tire that just looks good, others want something that is less likely to kill them if the road gets wet, others want a high degree of dry road performance.

I know all reviews are subjective, but it would be nice to hear some feedback on how specific tires perform on our cars.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Steve,

I plan on driving to the place and checking out their work and asking lots of questions. I have the same concerns as you. How strong is it ? How precise ? How will it look afterwards ? How well will it balance ?

The difference is 4.75mm. One thing that won't be a problem is getting the hole a very exact size, like with redrilling the front hubs and inserting new studs.

I have looked at UK sites for wheels and I found some. John Brown Wheels must specialize in small cars. Their largest size is 13". Not all have the proper bolt pattern, and some that do, are in the 7" width range. Image Wheels range from 15" on up. They cost $325 each. Plus shipping. I emailed Minilites and their Anthracite wheels would be $180 each plus $150 to get them all to California.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

clshore Carter Shore
There are list members here who are also vendors, that offer wheels for our cars.
Look on the 'Vendor Market' List, and also do a couple of site searches.
I know that some members have purchased from them and been satisfied.

You can contact me on IM if you need more details.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507202 by joppamoto I`m running Westlakes on 3 cars now (Spitfire, Focus, Mini). Very impressed at this point.

How hard do you push them?

clshore Carter Shore
I'd go directly to 15" now, don't bother with 14".

The handwriting is on the wall, just as 13" tires are phasing out, so will 14" soon.
How many new cars have 13"? 14"? 15"?

Go to the tire websites, and look for performance tires in those sizes ...

Then decide how many times you are willing to 'swap up' to the next size.

Roy Avatar
Roy roy o
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
To me , small cars just look wrong with large rims !

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
I am still running 13's, and have no intent of "swapping sizes" - haven't in 35 years, probably not starting anytime soon. I just bought a car with 22's - I doubt they will be completely phasing out 20's anytime soon. You just have to hunt (I have ALWAYS had to hunt for a sticky road tire). I like a very sticky tire on dry, and reasonable in the water. My old tires are no longer available, so I went with something I had not tried before - about a year ago. Recently had a chance to run them on tight turns, very spiritedly, on an 80 mile club course, in the "on and off" rain. Did much better in the wet than I expected. Stick well in the dry. I do not get exposure to below freezing temps, so can't comment on that... I am running these with a 1 inch lowering springs, rolled fender.
They do bottom out, just a little, if I have a heavy passenger, on the right front. Here is what I am running, and a link:

Kumho Sense 175/70/R13
These are 460 A B
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0J-OoMfX2AIVW57ACh38PguzEAQYASABEgIiu_D_BwE&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Sense&partnum=77HR3KR26V2&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Kumho_Sense_Tire&code=yes&src=17540115&ci_sku=77HR3KR26V2&ci_sku=77HR3KR26V2&ci_src=17588969&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322431853!!!g!99872944333!&ef_id=WltargAAAWGIttYx:20180114132710:s

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Attachments:
IMG_1481.JPG    42.7 KB
IMG_1481.JPG

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507354 by Roy To me , small cars just look wrong with large rims !

Go to Sears. They'll go by the book.

Of course you will be wound out at 45 mph wishing you had a 5th gear.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links