Who's running a single 40 DCOE?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509803 by GeorgeOhr The manifold arrived today and looks like it was machined by a drunken monkey. Carb mount holes drilled off center and canted where the carb won't seat or line up with ports correctly, carb flange wasn't machined completely flat and stray milling marks on top of manifold. I could clean up some of the cosmetic stuff but the studs and port matching work required is way beyond an acceptable limit.

I feel your pain.
Stuff like that just isn't right, and it pisses me off.
But consider doing whatever moves your project ahead, at least delay, inconvenience, and cost.
Machining is a commodity available anywhere and anytime.
That specific casting OTOH, no matter how absurdly machined, is uncommon and inconvenient to replace.
Certainly raise cain with the vendor, and see what they are willing to do to make it right.
But if they are not helpful, the pragmatic thing might be to just fix it and use it.

Carter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Any pictures?

Very sorry for you, but as Carter says, it almost certainly can be corrected.by plugging and re-drilling stud holes etc.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
See if you can refuse delivery and it can be returned on their dime.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509877 by clshore
But if they are not helpful, the pragmatic thing might be to just fix it and use it.

Carter

Yeah, but sometimes the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. I would be happier with a blank casting than this thing. I just noticed the head mating flange is mis-machined and is warped as well. I'm sure Rimmer will do the right thing in some way, shape or form.

Oh believe me, things like this piss me off to no end. I seem to have the worse luck with stuff like this than anyone else I know. Maybe it's because we've done this for three generation and just know better; maybe I just has lousy luck. One thing it for sure, not matter what FLAPS I walk into....I will be approached by the dumbest SOB in company history...every..damn ..time...

I can straighten it out but to me it's not worth my time. I mainly bought it to do an A-B-C comparison of Cannon single, this thing and Cannon duals. I don't think it's laid out as good as the original although it appears to have the Triumph Tune pt number on it.

KRGS 68 Spitfire Rene Gimenez
Valencia, CA, USA   USA
Hi all,
I've been out of circulation over the past several weeks. If fact, I'm typing this from my hospital room. I have been following this thread and wanted to chime in a couple of details from my experience with the Lynx manifold. As some quick background, I found my manifold off of eBay Australia, total cost w,shipping from down under was about $150. I had lots of Side draft carburetor spares from a vintage Lola super vee I used to own, enough to make up one complete carb, so there was the perfect excuse for me to clear some shelf space.

These were my initial thoughts upon receiving the Manifold-

- the outer casting is horrible, especially at the mounting flange to the head.

- the runners, however, were huge, especially when compared to the canon manifold I had. Had to do very little to port match.

- had my local machine shop do a light skim to ensure that the mounting flange to the head was absolutely flat.

The Lynx manifold actually fits pretty well onto the head for six out of the eight studs. The trickiest ones were the top middle two, where you run into the problem of clearance vs. available material. After scouring the Dorman catalog, I found a combination sized stud that fit into the head, but was the next size down to clear the manifold. From there, all I did was machine a couple of small spacers to fit over the undersized part of the stud, modified a couple of thick washers to hold the manifold down, and used NAS locking nuts to tie the whole thing together. Take a close look at the pictures I posted earlier in the thread.

Also I recall having to use my dremel to "flatten out" one or two other flanges on the manifold. I went slowly, checking often.

I must admit that, despite the challenges, I was extremely pleased with the results. Having worked on race cars for 40 years, I've been used to modifying parts "out of the box". So while the Lynx manifold does not fit like say, an edelbrock manifold would fit a small block ford, it's kind of reflective of the Spitfire, which always needs a little "fettling".

I hope this helps.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I hope you are feeling better Rene. This one is going back looks like.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links