GT6 rear wishbone trunion layout ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
We were putting the rear suspension together today, and we had some aspects of what went were, that the images I got from some of the part vendor websites that we all use, were not so clear. I crawled under our rust bucket 68 GT6 to see, but all the dirt and small space , with 4 flat tires, made the inspection not totally helpful. In fact, this car didn't seem to have the same metal caps on the trunion assembly as we got in the kit and how the front trunions went together.

The exploded diagrams were not clear on the placement of the large washers. Does one washer go on either side of the wishbone arms, on the outside of the trunion "covers" ? That would make 4 large flat washers per side of the car.

As a side topic....

We ran into a real snag with the long bolts that held this all together. It's like the bolt swelled as it got closer to the bolt head end. I could slid the metal bushing on the bolt, but it would stop about 2/3rds the way there. It wasn't due to being rusty or rough from rust, as I wire brushed it on the belt grinder, wire wheel. We even greased them, but it would still get stuck. We didn't realized this until we had it all in place and couldn't figure out why the bushing was moving, as we tapped the bolt in place. Killed lots of time, until we figure it out. We ordered new bolts.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, no washer on the inside, you will never get it in there. Just the one on each end making two each side..
Yes, you had a bent bolt and it was hitting one of the trunnion bushings. That's what would be my bet, but a bent "A" is not out of the equation. So if the bolt doesn't work let me know, I think I have a couple around somewhere.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If you're using old bushings or bolts then they both could be out of round from wear, you answered your own question with new bolts.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
I suggest you obtain a GT6 Workshop Manual, these are available on CD, or possibly as a download.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I have the workshop manual. I didn't check there, because I thought the exploded diagrams used by Rimmer, Canely, and Spitbits were from that manual.

I rolled the bolt on our metal topped work bench, and it didn't seem to wobble. We used a caliper on the bolt and it seemed ever so slightly thicker as we neared the head end. As long as the bushings slide on the new bolts, I'll be ok.

Wayne,

So the contact of the rear upright, between the arms, is close enough to hold the trunion covers on ? The old ones, we pulled out of the parts box had 4 washers, but since we didn't take it apart, I can't trust what stuff is put together like in tubs of sort of rusty parts.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
There should be no washers other than the thin metal covers that come with the trunnion bush kit.
I can't understand why additional washer would be used.

Use some anti seize grease on the bolt to help prevent it rusting in the sleeve. It may save you having to cut the bolt sometime in the future.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Quote: I can't understand why additional washer would be used.

Because there is enough room for the outer caps on the trunion covers to just pop off and expose the inside, where the plastic guide and rubber ring are. A washer would take up that gap.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, Houston we have a problem.
That upright should be a pain in the butt to get between the fork of the "A" arm, with the new trunnion kits installed.
I'm sending you a PM.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1506533 by trrdster John, Houston we have a problem.
That upright should be a pain in the butt to get between the fork of the "A" arm, with the new trunnion kits installed.
I'm sending you a PM.

Agree.

Some pictures of what you have may help.

JohnW63 John Williamson
I'll have to take some pictures and measurements. It may take a couple days to get over to my Dad's place, where we work on stuff.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, just measured on"e of mine and the upright at the bolt area is 3 1/4 inch across and the yoke on the lower "A" arm is 3 1/2 inches across at the bolt holes. So that is allowing 1/8 inch on the inside for the plastic and the metal sealing washers. If some one has had trouble getting it together they may have ground one side or the other.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

JohnW63 John Williamson
An 1/8" of an inch on either side of the arms would seem enough. Is that with the bolt tightened ?

As we disassembled the parts, or found them in the box, the bolt had the the two metal bushings and a washer on either side of both bushings , all in a row.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, were they very thin washer like in the trunnion set. If so you confused the issue, as they are part of the system that seals the unit from water. Or that is the plan, not always the case.
Study the way that kit goes together, rubber O ring (gasket) between what looks like washers but is a cup on each end of the yoke on the A arm.
Not wanting to discourage you, but you really need to start adding some picture with your question.
This is a very easy site to add pictures, you can just drag them from the desk top.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

JohnW63 John Williamson
Wayne,

I know the trunion parts, as we got new everything. The washers are your basic hardware store steel washers.

I took some carefull measurements on the upright and the wishbone.

Upright width: 3" ( actually, 2-31/32" )

Bare Wishbone gap: 3-1/2" . With trunion caps in place: 3-1/8" ( actually, 1/64' less than that, but close enough )

The manual shows the upright width should be 3.232" and the wishbone gap should be 3.507" , so I'm within spec for wishbone and a touch less than factory on the upright. By these numbers, I should be pretty good, with little play, but I know I had a washer between one wishbone arm and the upright section, that I was using to try and push the stuck metal bushing back into the arm, as it had moved to far when I was tapping the bolt all the way in. ( The bushing was jammed on the bolt so it moved when the bolt did. ) I didn't want to bend the trunion cap with a screw driver, so I slid a washer in place with a slot cut out.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, check that upright at both ends. You are a 1/4 inch shy on that, somebody did some grinding.
So I see why they added washers. Just wonder if they added one on each side with the correct thickness so as to center the upright?
We find all kinds of stuff previous owners (PO) do, to make things go together.
You are right to question things that don't look right.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links