Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ccren89 Avatar
ccren89 Colin Crenshaw
Keokuk, IA, USA   USA
I am sure this has been asked a lot but I am trying to find a good option for my exhaust. I love the way the Monza set up sounds but It is too noisy for anything beyond a spin around town. Does anyone have any input on a good exhaust for ~400 dollars?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Just cut the mufflers off and install a/or 2 good turbo mufflers instead. <$100

'S all for now
Vic

TheLeafySpring Avatar
TheLeafySpring Cameron McNeal
Athens, AL, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil E.D."
Honestly, the stock exhausts paired with a nice set of headers is the way to go IMO for the early cars. They flow plenty and make a great sound without any cabin drone. Plus you can be assured that they will fit. My mk3 with a 4-1 header and stock everything else sounded great with the roof down, but remained quiet with the roof up. I wouldn't have upgraded if my original didn't rust apart.

The later cars I've heard have really quiet exhausts though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 11:43 PM by TheLeafySpring.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul D Smith Avatar
Paul D Smith Paul S
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
I took the stock muffler off my 79 and replaced with a 17" glasspack. Cost me about $35 bucks.

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1505099

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
The Mk II already has the best exhaust manifold on it if its still got the stock system. I have a Falcon stainless steel exhaust on my Mk I that I like. Nice sounds, but not too loud. The pipes don't seal the best as it comes. Needs some of the limey "jointing paste".

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Be careful of the cheap "Turbo Mufflers". I have a 2" Thrush Turbo Muffler with a short Cherry Bomb as a resonator. The sound volume is a little more than I'd like (I use noise cancelling earbuds for road trips), but it's the "quality" of the sound that's truly disappointing. Some folks have thought I'd crammed a V-8 into little Rocinante. I really miss that British, Straight-6 Rasp that I hear from other cars. I'll try a MagnaFlo, FlowMaster or DynoMax next time to see if there's any difference.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links