Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I got some 3/4 dia pipe cut to 1" lengths attached to head with silicone over studs and filled with PB blaster and left to sit

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1505526 by Andy-Sherry I got some 3/4 dia pipe cut to 1" lengths attached to head with silicone over studs and filled with PB blaster and left to sit

Yup, sounds familiar! Ideally, leave it for a couple of weeks, too!

spoon12342002 Avatar
spoon12342002 Eddie S
Milton, VT, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Blue Bomber"
2 days later and i got the head off! Lots of Pb blaster and heat. Next question, do i need a valve spring compressor tool to get the springs off or somebody know a trick?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Eddie, see if you can rent a spring compressor from your local auto parts store.
If not, make a flat plate that goes across the length of your head, drill holes in it where the rocker towers are bolted in and use that as leverage with a fork tool, like a ball joint separate on top of the valve. Watch your fingers getting the keepers out, use needle nose, you can thank me later.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
"Breaking the head off" by turning over the engine only leads to a leaking head gasket. Even the "Rope Trick" only shifts head a little.
Thing is, it's the head sticking to the studs, by crud in the space around them, not the head to the block, so pushing the head up a little gets you nowhere.

And double nutting can work, but condemns the studs, and the nuts. You were going to replace them anyway, weren't you?

A really, really reluctant stud can be shifted by WELDING the nut onto it. Then turn it out with a spanner.
The heat, concentrated in the stud, will help loosen it.
BUT, turn it first to tighten, and then turn it out like cutting a thread, one way then the other. And if it starts to squeal, STOP. The stud could break.
Retighten it, more penetrating oil, wait a while, try again.

Good luck!
John

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
As Wayne says, it is best to rent/ borrow a spring compressor. But all sorts of devices can be made.

I used to use a 2x2, one end chained to the bench, a 'crows foot' metal bracket on the underside in the mid section and a rope stirrup (for you foot ) tied to the end.

With block of wood cut to fit over both valves in the combustion camber, the cyl head is laid on the bench, the crows foot bracket is seated over the valve spring cap and the spring compressed by foot action untill the collets pop loose.

As said, it is best to remove the collets with needle nosed pliers. .......Ask me how I know that!

KEEP THE VALVES IN ORDER!

spoon12342002 Avatar
spoon12342002 Eddie S
Milton, VT, USA   USA
1976 Triumph 1500 "Blue Bomber"
Springs are off, rented a tool from Advance Auto. Valve guides gonna have shop press them out. What springs and valves size should i go with for street performance head? Shooting for 9:1 compression pistons.

Twin Lakes, WI, USA   USA
If the studs corroded inside the head, it could be cracked. Could also have been a blown head gasket. I recommend checking that head really carefully before putting a lot of work into it.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1505625 by spoon12342002 Springs are off, rented a tool from Advance Auto. Valve guides gonna have shop press them out. What springs and valves size should i go with for street performance head? Shooting for 9:1 compression pistons.

The larger (post 73?) Valves are normally favoured, even though some owners clain the combustion chamber shrouds the valve.

The valve springs you chose should work with the cam chosen. Many cam suppliers specify seat pressure or advise on the use of a particular spring.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1505613 by Tonyfixit
As said, it is best to remove the collets with needle nosed pliers. .......Ask me how I know that!

Hi,
I have had good luck loosening any collets that are stuck with a pick and getting them out with a magnet.
All the best,
Paul

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505595 by spoon12342002 2 days later and i got the head off! Lots of Pb blaster and heat. Next question, do i need a valve spring compressor tool to get the springs off or somebody know a trick?

I used a habor frieght spring compressor($8.00). It's a little big you'll have to form the catch's a little. I don't think it will work for install. A piece of pipe with cutouts and a drill press will work.

www.homemadetools.net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 08:15 AM by lef2wander.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
The stock Spitfire valve springs are not very strong, you can just lean on them and compress them.
Also, they are nice and straight, perpendicular to the top and bottom surfaces of the head.

I've used a drill press (not spinning of course) or even an arbor press for the job.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html
Tape a little block of wood in the combustion chamber to prevent the valve from opening when you depress the spring.
A magnet is handy for snagging the keepers when they pop loose.

Plenty of tools out there that will do the job:
https://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4572.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scbplpOTC4572&sc_intid=OTC4572
http://www.sears.com/abn-2130-8-valve-spring-compressor/p-SPM12333143030?plpSellerId=AutoBodyNow&prdNo=21&blockNo=21&blockType=G21

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
1989 Toyota MR2 "Red Mister Two"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
+1 on the string method.

Take out no 1 spark plug and feed in as much string as possible into the cylinder then stick the car in fourth and push it forward. The piston will press against the string then the head and push it off.

You may need to do this for no 4 too if it's really stuck. You should be able to wiggle it until it comes loose once the string has cracked it open.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1b AW11 1600 twin cam
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links