new member , gt6 owner looking for info please

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mustangmud Stephen Mardle
Red deer, AB, Canada   CAN
morning lads and lasses, new member logging in from the frozen north, my wife and i have had a few spitfires, both here and back in england, but we have recently bought what appears to be a very early production gt6, the vin plate appears to show it was manufactured in 1965 but everything i can find on the web seems to point to production starting in 1966, its a very solid project, was originally white. any info very much appreciated as i plan to restore correctly back to original as these early models seem to be few and far between now. thanks in advance for any help and happy new year to all

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4061.JPG    53.9 KB
IMG_4061.JPG

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is the basic database info on the GT6:
GT6 Mk1
July 1966-Sept. 1968,
Commission # KC1-KC13752
15818 cars made.

This does not mean that the car may not have been actually built in late 65. Do you have a photo of the Commission plate for us to peruse? The Commission number is the main telltale.
Dan

hi dan, thanks for the reply, hopefully theres a picture of the data plate attached, out here in the wild west, registration titles are not very accurate! steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4139.JPG    59.4 KB
IMG_4139.JPG

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
Approx. Feb 1968 - Mar 1968

The 1965 on the plate is only a reference to the british standard for mounting the seatbelts.

Herald

Thanks for the info , are the aftermarket rims a common sight on gt6s ?

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505415 by mustangmud Thanks for the info , are the aftermarket rims a common sight on gt6s ?

Search the Registry on this site and you might find photos of various aftermarket wheels guys have put on their GT6s.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Stephen, Poor baby, out in the cold.
When you get a nice day, take a picture of the engine, carb side. The early ones are very different.
I like it, you were lucky to find a good one in your conditions.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Thanks for the reply Wayne, we,re lucky that it gets very cold here minus 30 at the moment but a very dry climate, hardly any rain almost always sunny and the snow evaporates in the sun more than melting, a dry snow, hard to imagine but very kind to old British tin, steve

Here’s a picture of the carb set up

Attachments:
FD8CCC70-5969-4EC5-A59F-0BB5D38D5DC6.jpeg    70.1 KB
FD8CCC70-5969-4EC5-A59F-0BB5D38D5DC6.jpeg

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Yep, that is the early one.
That is also the one going in my Spit6, couldn't save the car, rusted away under a tarp for 12 years in a field.
Thanks, look forward to your journey.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 03:41 PM by trrdster.

Attachments:
CIMG0089 (2).JPG    65.1 KB
CIMG0089 (2).JPG

Outfect Avatar
Outfect Dave B
La Sal, UT, USA   USA
1940 Ford N Series Tractors "Henry"
1951 Other Not Listed "SnowMan"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "White October"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tangerine Dream"
Stephen,

Yep, early Zenith Stromberg 150CD carburetters. Probably #3092 (on top of mounting flange.) No emissions devices and uses "starter bars"
instead of chokes. Careful when you remove them as those plastic linkage connectors are brittle and easy
to break. Very simple to rebuild. They use several parts not in the normal kits but are available. You also
probably have to replace the shafts as they don't use rubber seals. All in all about $50.

You seem to be missing a PCV valve and don't know why the rear carb has a vacuum line on top. Should just be the front.
You can find the Smith's PCV still available.

Interesting rims but the original have either wires or "Rostyle" covers. Like this one.

I think paint code 19 means it was white with black interior. Looks like maybe production date of Aug 1968?

Great car. Mk I are "scarce." Good ones are "scarcer."

DaveInUtah

Attachments:
fs_gt6_012.jpg    50.3 KB
fs_gt6_012.jpg

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
The PVC valve is simple enough, got a few, but the hoses to get that funny curve is the problem I had and so went with a universal kind with a right angle elbow.
Might find the right one before all is ready.
Nice car Dave, brings back lots of memories.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Thanks Dave, that really is a beautiful car, growing up in England these cars were a common sight on the roads , it seems like a long time ago now, nice to have the chance to save a piece of history

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Stephen, like you, saw lots in England in the early part of their history. A few with the canvas roll back top.
Had a Morgan on order, not started yet when apparently I was needed half a world away. That didn't work out for anyone.
Great little cars, got the son one just like yours for his 15th birthday, slats of wood across the floors up front, lots of fun for both of us.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Welcome to the club !

I wish our project was in the condition your's is in, unless you find some lurking body rot in there.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster