axle replaced - spit won't move

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Disconnect the e-brake cables on both sides at the drum and try again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505366 by clshore Disconnect the e-brake cables on both sides at the drum and try again.

That was my first thought as well - but reading all the comments, I agree, the dif is jammed, and has to come out. I would also agree, the dif locking up at 65 is what broke your yoke.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505366 by clshore Disconnect the e-brake cables on both sides at the drum and try again.

A New Year, A New Day... a ray of hope.. thank you ! Good golly that would be way too easy a solution. Might not get to it today, but will keep all posted. Either way, even if the e-brake makes no difference, I'm sure thankful for my spit and the ability to crawl around under and over it... although it is also true that driving it is even better.
Thanks to my Spitbros. john

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1505340 by Spity Thanks Wayne, I will definitely read that. I installed this diff two years ago, shortly after getting my spit. That original diff had also locked up... I'm now two for two.

Two diffs in two years is really bad luck.

Do you think it could be a driving style problem, dumping the clutch at high rpm and such?

Just wondering.

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505389 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1505340 by Spity Thanks Wayne, I will definitely read that. I installed this diff two years ago, shortly after getting my spit. That original diff had also locked up... I'm now two for two.

Two diffs in two years is really bad luck.

Do you think it could be a driving style problem, dumping the clutch at high rpm and such?

Just wondering.

Good Morning Tony,

I'm thinking bad luck. Not sure what dumping the clutch is, perhaps engaging the clutch? Anyway, I downshift and upshift at reasonable rpms while usung the clutch. My driving is fairly restrained. Most of it is here in the suburbs and city with occasional jaunts to the countryside. The twistys are far enough away that most of my driving is local and a fair amount of traffic. Even if this wasn't the case, I try not to strain Spity, yet still have fun (cornering at 20mph at a 45 degree intersection is so easy when traffic allows).

The diff that was in the car when I got it a couple years ago locked up close to home at very low speed. I was able to wiggle forward and back, it unlocked and drove home. I replaced this diff with the current used one with unknown mileage.

Yesterday evening I got thst original diff out of the garage and put it on my work table figuring I would take it apart in the next days and see what happened in there. Well while turning the flanges I noticed that the nut on the driveshaft flange was loose... really loose. Anyway, I did not loosen it 2 years ago. Do not know if a PO was into it at some point and did not torque properly. Maybe internals are salvageable if my current diff is toast.

Anyway, first to check the e-brake... then we see. Budget does look good for buying another used diff until I save lots more nickels. Forget a new crown and pinion...anybody check those prices lately? john

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA

Just tried this. No joy. Was a good try. Car back on stands... will post results when i commence knuckle busting. Perhaps I will post some photos this time, but not likely because I'm usually too greasy to touch the phone, or my Nikons. I hate wearing gloves. john

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, Wear the gloves. Cheap at HF, less than $4 on sale, do all the heavy wrenching with them. Not only saves the grease on your hands, but saves the small cuts when you just brush by a sharp area.
When you get in you late 70's looking at a rear end replacement will cut your hand. LOL
To clean your hands, get yourself a Tub of Towels, not only grease but lots of paints will come off.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Today I took a look at the diff that I pulled from my spit 2 years ago (not the current diff that destroyed my axle when it locked up and is still in the car).

The pin or peg in the photo was loose in the bottom of the case. It is 5/8ths inch long x 1/4 inch at one end and 5/16 inch at the other end... it's tapered. There is a place in the end of the pinion in which I believe this may fit. None of the diagrams I have show this peg... they do show a pinion pin and a pinion pin locking peg which I believe are not this.

If this peg does go into the end of the pinion, what keeps it from coming loose?

All the gears appear in good shape and turn smoothly when this peg is not rolling around jamming things up. This was sure better than I dared hoped for.

Besides the loose peg I need to know how to torque the pinion nut. It is not castellated, nor is there a crush washer. I assume it had been opened before.

john

Attachments:
DSC_0505.JPG    46.2 KB
DSC_0505.JPG

DSC_0513.JPG    35.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_0538.JPG    41.3 KB
DSC_0522.JPG    38.8 KB
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
John,
That "pin" is one of the rollers from a taper roller bearing. Not a particularly encouraging thing to find loose inside a diff unit.eye popping smiley
All the best,
Paul

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505780 by spitfire50 John,
That "pin" is one of the rollers from a taper roller bearing. Not a particularly encouraging thing to find loose inside a diff unit.eye popping smiley
All the best,
Paul

That makes sense... when i first tried turning the driveshaft flange it felt rough. When i tightened the pinion nut a little the movement felt smooth. That pinion nut was 3 full turns away from contacting the pinion flange. This probably trashed the bearing. Will take a look as time allows... I'm also working thru a serious "honey do list". john

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
That is going to be ugly when you get it apart.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
That Carrier Assembly looks to be pretty marred by the Pinion no? Afraid it may be pretty bad news.

Edit: also not really sure how the e-brake comes into this as both the wheels were turning?

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-03 09:06 PM by Manana.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1505793 by Manana That Carrier Assembly looks to be pretty marred by the Pinion no? Afraid it may be pretty bad news.

Edit: also not really sure how the e-brake comes into this as both the wheels were turning?

The e-brake suggestion was made early before we knew both sides were turning ok, I think. As they are both turning easily, just not together the same way, it is obviously not the brake issue. It has happened to others in the past, thus the early suggestion.
Dan

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Dan, I wasn't trying to call anyone out there, just curious how it could affect the system that way?

OP said in posts 1, 6, and 9 that the wheels were turning fine individually when both were in the air. Post 16 was the first mention of the e-brake.

I could totally be missing something here so that's why I asked.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Hi Spitbros,

No biggie on the e'brake... wheels needed to come off anyway to get that diff out... however this will be sometime next week.

In the meantime here are pics of that inner pinion bearing... which is as expected. Pinion itself looks good enough to my untrained eye.

john

Attachments:
DSC_0545.JPG    51.3 KB
DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0552.JPG    45.7 KB
DSC_0553.JPG    32.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Triumph TR4A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links