recommended front spring compressor ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I used these: https://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70570-Coil-Spring-Compressor/dp/B00A8FNRDY/. Don't get the ones at harbor freight, they don't fit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1505511 by Azoth I used these: https://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70570-Coil-Spring-Compressor/dp/B00A8FNRDY/. Don't get the ones at harbor freight, they don't fit.

I have tried or observed three different styles that use the hooks that go over the coils too the inside., everyone of then also rubbed on the shock scratching or marking up the paint on them. That's why I decided to make my own. There are ones available that have a rod only on one side but I have seen coils attempt to slide out of the capture pieces because they are not curved correctly even though the diameter fits the coil.

Dan

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
The Triumph Sports Six club makes an excellent compressor: https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/spring-compressor

It isn't cheap and shipping to the US would probably be quite expensive but it is a very good piece of equipment. I seem to remember it worked very well whereas the claw type compressor was a bit dodgy.

At risk of going very much off-topic, it seems to me that the clubs in the UK do a good job of supporting the hobby in this area. The Sports Six club also does a hub puller while the Stag club has remanufactured cylinder heads. Our approach to clubs in the US seems skewed much more towards local groups while at the national level there aren't the resources to do the sort of projects I have mentioned. There are some exceptions: the TR7/8 club has created what looks like an excellent tool for removing cylinder heads which is available for loan to its members.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
The compressors Shane referenced above worked fine on my Spitfire, too.
Robin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-02 12:46 PM by N5329K.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I ordered a set sort of like Shane's .

It's got a two prong top but a single one on the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Coil-Spring-Compressor-Tool-Pieces/dp/B01N6L1QA6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514936037&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=spring+compressor&psc=1

I think it should work, if it doesn't move around while clamping.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1505605 by JohnW63 I ordered a set sort of like Shane's .

It's got a two prong top but a single one on the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Coil-Spring-Compressor-Tool-Pieces/dp/B01N6L1QA6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514936037&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=spring+compressor&psc=1

I think it should work, if it doesn't move around while clamping.

I hope it works for you, but personally I have found most Hook type compressors are too thick in the hook to work on our springs. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE IT IF YOU THINK THERE IS A CHANCE IT MAY SLIP
Springs scare the hell out of me, I saw a truck Air Brake spring 'let loose' once :-(

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
I bought the "proper" compressor set from the UK after failed attempts with 3 different Macpherson types. The job went super quickly and safely with the correct tool. Anyone in the Portland, OR area that needs to borrow a spring compressor feel free to contact me.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
In reply to # 1505628 by 70spit I bought the "proper" compressor set from the UK after failed attempts with 3 different Macpherson types. The job went super quickly and safely with the correct tool. Anyone in the Portland, OR area that needs to borrow a spring compressor feel free to contact me.

What does the real one look like?
Dan

JohnW63 John Williamson
Quote: I hope it works for you, but personally I have found most Hook type compressors are too thick in the hook to work on our springs

I can see how that would be the case. The set I have tried has one hook at the top and bottom, and they were very close to the shock. They just were not good at staying where I put them. I hope this double hoot at one end style works better.

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1505639 by Yellowhawk Valley
In reply to # 1505628 by 70spit I bought the "proper" compressor set from the UK after failed attempts with 3 different Macpherson types. The job went super quickly and safely with the correct tool. Anyone in the Portland, OR area that needs to borrow a spring compressor feel free to contact me.

What does the real one look like?
Dan

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RX1328A

All the others I tried that had various shaped hooks were too large and hit the shocks as well as failed to stay in one place making the process of compressing the spring both time consuming and dangerous. This end-to-end compressor did the job quickly, safely and without scratching up my new springs or expensive shocks. I'd sell the set to recover some of the cost but they're just too damned useful if I ever need to compress or decompress those springs again.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Good. I saw those and the other style there so hoping this was the good one you found. It is essentially what many of our home made ones are modeled after.
Dan

JohnW63 John Williamson
If I had place to just get some metal squares the right size, and the top pattern measurements , I could make those. I might be able to ARC weld two bolts, with a little practice. Some one gave me an ARC welder and thew wife got me a auto dimming helmet. Just needs some rods and parts !

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Get one of these cheap ones:

https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Spring-Compressor-Remover-Installer/dp/B01HG7YNH0/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1515077932&sr=1-16&keywords=spring+compressor

Now weld the 'hooks' on each side to steel angles, a pair on on top and a pair on bottom.
No welder? Drill holes and bolt them together.

Lightly grease the threaded rods, off you go!

Davebert Avatar
Davebert Dave C
Montreal, QC, Canada   CAN
When I changed my front shocks around 20 years ago, I was younger and more reckless. I removed the springs on the milling machine at my work's machine shop. The bottom of the shock was secured inside the chuck and the I use the lock down tail stock with a wide opened drill chuck attached to compress the spring. Once compressed I just unscrewed the 2 bolts which I have already loosen before hand and back off the tail stock slowly. If I remember properly, it was less than 2 inches of travel and was under much less tension than I thought and fear at the time.

Of course I would not do something like that now and would look for a proper tool to do the job.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA

(Redneck Version)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links